Gary Lineker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won the league the season before he arrived. Won it the year after he left. Enough said.
Not an Everton hero of mine.
What a great time to be a Blue though Sharpy , Andy Gray , Inchy , scoring, such a great time , such a great side..

As mentioned before .... didn’t nev break his ankle playing for Wales that season?

I rang Lineker to ask for an interview for one of the books I'm writing to help the Everton former player foundation. He told me to speak to his agent. He's nothing but a whopper.

Went to a charity doo which was billed as meeting Gary Lineker. He sat in the VIP bit the entire night and didn't have any interest in meeting anyone, other than when he had to make a speech. Hate to say it but Ruddick who was also there was a top guy getting drinks with everyone, as was Ian Wright and one other but I cannot remember who it was now.

My hero for us as a kid, just heard he had no knowledge of his transfer to Barca. This is probably common knowledge and feel a dumbass but I didn't know this! Ha
You'd have thought he'd have worked it out by now he was there for three years., then again he was probably partying too hard at the time.

He was the nearest thing we have had to Ian Rush ,the best I have ever watched live .To think he grew up a blue is heartbreaking. Of course there are many more but Rush was the pick of them for me .

Linacre, great striker, pudden’ of a footballer, in life on tv he comes across as one smug arrogant so and so, in love with himself. I hold no grieving with him over his time with Everton or why he left, he made money out of the deal, like plenty of others, Everton never got half of the vast fee ( at that time) it went to various people, agents players etc, etc.

Gutted that he only stayed one season. We had finally got a prolific striker in the same class as Rush who I have to say through gritted teeth was probably the most lethal striker I have ever seen.

Always thought it was a bit odd though that we paid big money (at the time) for him yet he only signed a 2 year contract.Never heard of that before or since.

" and it's Lineker to chase.. just look at his pace "

(Sure it was Luton at home)
Watched him score this as a kid sitting in the top balcony with my Dad looking right down on it - incredible goal to see, couldn't believe the pace of him, total Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Video doesn't really do my memory of it justice, plus he's outrunning a pair of ale tanks - still looks good though.

Went to a charity doo which was billed as meeting Gary Lineker. He sat in the VIP bit the entire night and didn't have any interest in meeting anyone, other than when he had to make a speech. Hate to say it but Ruddick who was also there was a top guy getting drinks with everyone, as was Ian Wright and one other but I cannot remember who it was now.
I met Ruddck in a boozer in Croydon years ago. He was utterly bladdered and laughing and joking with everyone over whether he was harder than Vinny Jones. Like with you he was buying rounds for all and sundry, and genuinely seemed to enjoy just being with ordinary blokes.

Gutted that he only stayed one season. We had finally got a prolific striker in the same class as Rush who I have to say through gritted teeth was probably the most lethal striker I have ever seen.

Always thought it was a bit odd though that we paid big money (at the time) for him yet he only signed a 2 year contract.Never heard of that before or since.
No need for gritted teeth mate, I always bow to true class and Rush was a world class finisher, lots of reds reckon Robbie Fowler was better, I have to say I never saw that personally? Good as he was rush was better, and like you say, Lineker was in the same sphere goal scoring wise, but as always, we managed to balls it up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.