2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please someone email Marcel, telling him that Rami is on a free. We need a cb.

Do we? 2 clean sheets so far, looking generally solid. Mina and keane seem to be really working together and bringing in rami would end holgates chances and he is clearly rated highly by silva and brands

Do we? 2 clean sheets so far, looking generally solid. Mina and keane seem to be really working together and bringing in rami would end holgates chances and he is clearly rated highly by silva and brands

Of course they are great but we need more than 2 senior cb to last a season. Don’t rate and believe Holgate should be 3rd choice.

Don’t forget we were in for Rojo on the last day of transfer window.

There's some truth in that. However, the fundamanetal point re,ains that the DoF has stated that it was Zouma or go with what we had. So you can talk all day about former regimes and needing to clear up the mess inherited, but that act of vandalism is down to him.
I honestly think you are choosing to believe what you are thinking is right & not even bothering to read/watch the actual interview & understand what he is actually saying. Zouma was the main target no doubt but they had others. The finances in other moves didn't fit the plan so it is better to rely on youth than spunk more money. I am so glad finally we have someone pulling the strings that has a clear plan & will take us forward than previous regimes

Of course they are great but we need more than 2 senior cb to last a season. Don’t rate and believe Holgate should be 3rd choice.

Don’t forget we were in for Rojo on the last day of transfer window.
Were we? Some here was convinced that we were going to spend 25M on him, which was obviously nowhere near true. The press blatantly made up stuff about Everton's second offer for Zaha. They made up about the Diego Costa interest.

So to me, I'm sure Brands was interested in a loan. That would've been sound.

Hats off to Marcel...now Mina is fit and adapted + Gbamin and Kean slowly adapting hes not far off a clean sweep of quality.
That’s the big one for me
Dinge is class and I don’t think you could expect a better lb for Everton
Bernard is a fantastic coup proven international in his prime with best yet to come
Gomes probably our best CM and has a fantastic passer
Richy is phenomenal could argue over paid at the time but is our future gem
Mina is showing his class after a injury hit season goal scoring imposing CB’s are rare as hens teeth
Kean has obvious quality hard to say how he will go but to secure him is fantastic
Gbahim I’m very bullish about he will be a gana/docoure hybrid will be the best of the lot.
Sidbie is a risk free punt at a formerly excellent FB if he regains his form from earlier he’s better than Coleman
Delph low cost cover 3 year deal smart signing even if it doesn’t work out
Iwobi I was initially against the signing however on closer inspection it’s smart relatively young prem experienced over 100apps good physical attributes and a creative player

For me the perfect Marco Silva team is
Pickford
Sibide Keane Mina Dinge
Gomes Gbahim
Richy Iwobi Bernard
Keane

All 27 and younger good mix of pace and physicality.
With Delph, Sigurson, DCL, Coleman, Holgate, Walcott, Baines, Davies as opinions from the bench

Were we? Some here was convinced that we were going to spend 25M on him, which was obviously nowhere near true. The press blatantly made up stuff about Everton's second offer for Zaha. They made up about the Diego Costa interest.

So to me, I'm sure Brands was interested in a loan. That would've been sound.
I doubt it was made up. I obviously don't know for certain, but I would guess that we had continued talks with Palace about Zaha and floated some ideas about. The press ran it as if we'd bid, but we say we only made one actual 'bid'. That doesn't mean we didn't name some figures and throw in some players names without ever actually formally submitting the thing. I know everyone laughs about bids being prepared and whatever, but that's how it works in big business. You don't just walk into a room and formally commit yourself to a £60m deal, you talk about it with the other parties involved, see how receptive they are, talk to your accountants and lawyers to see what you can put together. I think we were very interested in Zaha well after the first bid was turned down, and in Rojo too.

Flunked big time on this one. Losing zouma and not replacing him was bad enough. Losing gueye was another stunner considering how poor Silva is at organising the defense.
He has improved the attacking side of things but made us defensively weaker which pretty much sums him up.

going for zaha doucoure and zouma and getting in iwobi and failed last ditch bids for smalling and rojo is poor.

He tried to sign them on the last day expecting teams to fold and accept his demands, and insted of going in early, has to take the blame. Also not selling besic, bolasie, tosun, schneiderlin, mirallas will now either be loaned or sold for low fees. The mccarthy bid was far too low, 3m plus add-ons is a joke

Already ageing well.

I guess it boils down to the expectation on Brands that he will hit all of their transfer targets each window, and whether people will allow for some failure and flexibility in that. The lauding of Brands amongst fans will lead to eventual disappointment anyway as nobody is perfect and mistakes and misjudgements are going to be inevitable. We just hope they are few and far between as our margin for error is very low indeed.

Two summers in, and with incomings the first was exceptionally good and the second, decent but not exceptional in my view. There is a very high bar set for him in the immediate aftermath of such gross failure and incompetence from those who went before.

It clearly doesn't help having such mammoth rebuilding to do and two years in, I think we are overall a good deal down the road to where we would like to be. For the moment, and in the midst of constraints and circumstances, it's infinitely better than what went before, and that has to count for something.

Brands dropped the ball on CB cover without a doubt. We look solid so far but it remains to be seen if he would sanction a move in January to get cover, if only on loan. As long as he operates within the principles that bring us to a sustainable longer-term position, it's fine with me. But he must not lose sight of being pragmatic and not dogmatic as seemed to be the case with the wasted effort pursuing Zouma.

In 12 months he has signed 14 players, not a single bad player, 8 of those players will make up our first team going forward.

But somehow we arent allowed to praise him cos he didnt pay 25m for Marcus Rojo.

source.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.