2019/20 Theo Walcott

Status
Not open for further replies.
The least intelligent footballer in the squad.

Absolutely useless. It was like playing with 10 men when he came on.
Genuinely thought he did well when he came on, that one terrible cross apart. He put a shift in, carried us up the pitch with good runs a few times, and made a few good off the ball runs that didn't get spotted. He's definitely the new Osman, where people just say he was rubbish regardless of how he plays. Also his runs are EASILY the most intelligent of anyone we have.

Genuinely thought he did well when he came on, that one terrible cross apart. He put a shift in, carried us up the pitch with good runs a few times, and made a few good off the ball runs that didn't get spotted. He's definitely the new Osman, where people just say he was rubbish regardless of how he plays. Also his runs are EASILY the most intelligent of anyone we have.
I don’t agree with that, although I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. Whenever I see Walcott I invariably become frustrated with him. He rarely takes a man on and skims him, which for me is the bare minimum we should expect from a pacey winger? He maybe does it two three times a game, but most times he gets up to the defender and then wants to offload the ball?

The least intelligent footballer in the squad.

Absolutely useless. It was like playing with 10 men when he came on.
He really isn’t. His movement off the ball is quite good and he makes some terrific runs, which get him into positions that others simply don’t.

The issue is that his end product is currently horrendous: be that a shot, cross or pass. If he could improve his confidence, he’d be an asset.

Unfortunately, he showed very little improvement in either department and if he doesn’t rekindle it soon then I’m sure they’ll move him on.

I don’t agree with that, although I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. Whenever I see Walcott I invariably become frustrated with him. He rarely takes a man on and skims him, which for me is the bare minimum we should expect from a pacey winger? He maybe does it two three times a game, but most times he gets up to the defender and then wants to offload the ball?
I don't disagree with that. Don't misunderstand me, he's a long way from being great and I wouldn't want him starting too many games, but he's a pretty decent squad player all in all. He did absolutely fine on Saturday (better than many others) and yet there's people giving him stick. He's just a player that people have decided they don't like and will give stick to whatever happens.

He really isn’t. His movement off the ball is quite good and he makes some terrific runs, which get him into positions that others simply don’t.

The issue is that his end product is currently horrendous be that a shot, cross or pass. If he could improve his confidence, he’d be an asset.

Unfortunately, he showed very little improvement in either department and if he doesn’t rekindle it soon then I’m sure they’ll move him on.
This 100%. His movement can be terrific at times.

Thought he was alright when he came on actually, not bad as an option from the bench. Certainly has the game management experience and still has pace.

I don't disagree with that. Don't misunderstand me, he's a long way from being great and I wouldn't want him starting too many games, but he's a pretty decent squad player all in all. He did absolutely fine on Saturday (better than many others) and yet there's people giving him stick. He's just a player that people have decided they don't like and will give stick to whatever happens.
One of many mate, one of many! Us blues are never so bitter as we are with one of our own!

The issue is that his end product is currently horrendous: be that a shot, cross or pass. If he could improve his confidence, he’d be an asset.

I'm not sure I've ever seen him utilise his pace. We were pinned in for large amounts of time and a forward run into the space left by their high line could have relieved some of that pressure. He didnt make that run once, it took Gbamin launching it into the channel for him to begrudgingly chase it down. Hes just never proactive, it's always a reaction.

I'm not sure I've ever seen him utilise his pace.We were pinned in for large amounts of time and a forward run into the space left by their high line could have relieved some of that pressure. He didnt make that run once, it took Gbamin launching it into the channel for him to begrudgingly chase it down. Hes just never proactive, it's always a reaction.
How many times did he get behind last season for crossing or one-on-one opportunities? Lots, with the argument being he didn’t finish them.

He utilises his pace quite often, but with little end product hence the criticism.

I've said it before he has the best attacking instinct in the team for me, He knows what runs to make and where to be, Problem is his finishing is disgraceful.
I think he's fine to bring in off the bench despite him and Coleman not working at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.