Sportspesa

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what more can they do? You play those machines and you get messages come up telling you how much you've spent/how long you have been playing - do you need a break etc. You have staff do interactions if you show signs of frustration/paying frequently on a card. They can also ban you if you agree to self exclude from the premises.

You dont see pub landlords coming over to your seat asking the same every time you buy a pint or shop staff stopping you buying 5 crates of ale or 10 packs of cigs.

In a society of freedom one aspect will always be people do too much of something, be it drinking, gambling, eating, smoking, shagging but I don't want to live in a world where our freedoms are taken away because of it because sooner or later you end up with bans and heavy restrictions like China/Korea etc. And its live to work not work to live.

There is support out there for all forms of addictions but it needs to start with the addict wanting to change.
What you have said about what the bookies do in betting shops is complete rubbish. They do not do this, they are encouraged to keep people there. They never go up to people heavy betting and try and get them to stop, just the opposite. You obviously dont know what it's really like sadly.

As to it being like North Korea, you really are just over dramatising the issue, it will never be like that, that's just a stupid scaremongering tactic. Be realistic and not try and compare this to living in North Korea. I am all for a debate but not one that goes to this level of stupid.

This industry just like any other needs to be regulated more and less advertising, it's the only thing that gets advertising to a stupid degree. That's because they dont advertise alcohol as much as gambling and you cant advertise cigarettes anymore.

One point I do agree with you said earlier is the fact this will just push it online more. I just dont want people to go through what I did and it's very very easy to, scarily easy.

. Manchester United - £64 million (Chevrolet) 2. Manchester City - £45 million (Etihad) 3. Arsenal - £40 million (Fly Emirates) 4. Chelsea - £40 million (Yokohama) 5. Liverpool - £40 million (Standard Chartered) 6. Tottenham - £35 million (AIA) 7. West Ham - £10 million (Betway) 8. Everton - £9.6 million (SportPesa) 9. Wolves - £8 million (ManBetX) 10. Southampton - £7.5 million (LD Sports) 11. Burnley - £7.5 million (LoveBet) 12. Crystal Palace - £6.5 million (ManBetX) 13. Newcastle - £6.5 million (Fun88) 14. Watford - £6.5 million (Sportsbet.io) 15. Aston Villa - £6 million (W88) 16. Bournemouth - £5 million (M88) 17. Leicester - £4 million (King Power) 18. Sheffield United - £3.5 million (USG) 19. Norwich - £3 million (Dafabet) 20. Brighton - £1.5 million (American
Terrible that. I have thought for a long time now that all betting advertising should be banned. I'd not really be bothered if betting was banned all together. The only issue unfortunately is that so many jobs are dependant on it.

There's a reason that betting firms aren't allowed on kids shirts but that seems a bit pointless if the team/ground/every article about the team is plastered with betting ads. I'm not opposed to gambling at all but the normalisation of gambling as a leisure activity in the minds of children is a bit troubling for me.

. Manchester United - £64 million (Chevrolet) 2. Manchester City - £45 million (Etihad) 3. Arsenal - £40 million (Fly Emirates) 4. Chelsea - £40 million (Yokohama) 5. Liverpool - £40 million (Standard Chartered) 6. Tottenham - £35 million (AIA) 7. West Ham - £10 million (Betway) 8. Everton - £9.6 million (SportPesa) 9. Wolves - £8 million (ManBetX) 10. Southampton - £7.5 million (LD Sports) 11. Burnley - £7.5 million (LoveBet) 12. Crystal Palace - £6.5 million (ManBetX) 13. Newcastle - £6.5 million (Fun88) 14. Watford - £6.5 million (Sportsbet.io) 15. Aston Villa - £6 million (W88) 16. Bournemouth - £5 million (M88) 17. Leicester - £4 million (King Power) 18. Sheffield United - £3.5 million (USG) 19. Norwich - £3 million (Dafabet) 20. Brighton - £1.5 million (American
Never realised how many teams are sponsored by gambling firms!
Tbh for not even 10mill a year I think I’d rather have EITC on the shirt!

There's a reason that betting firms aren't allowed on kids shirts but that seems a bit pointless if the team/ground/every article about the team is plastered with betting ads. I'm not opposed to gambling at all but the normalisation of gambling as a leisure activity in the minds of children is a bit troubling for me.

Same for me. I have lost plenty over the years that I could afford to lose. But I’m finally decided what a batshit crazy thing it is to do. I’m guessing scores in the faint hope of winning a small bit of money that rarely happens. I’m back to enjoying football for what it is. Kids are now bought up to think it’s a normal thing to do and you to be one of the lads.
Fact is going to bookies was a one thing. Being able to go online and lose a fortune on credit card while sat next to your unsuspecting family is complete game changer for next generation of problem gamblers

What you have said about what the bookies do in betting shops is complete rubbish. They do not do this, they are encouraged to keep people there. They never go up to people heavy betting and try and get them to stop, just the opposite. You obviously dont know what it's really like sadly.

As to it being like North Korea, you really are just over dramatising the issue, it will never be like that, that's just a stupid scaremongering tactic. Be realistic and not try and compare this to living in North Korea. I am all for a debate but not one that goes to this level of stupid.

This industry just like any other needs to be regulated more and less advertising, it's the only thing that gets advertising to a stupid degree. That's because they dont advertise alcohol as much as gambling and you cant advertise cigarettes anymore.

One point I do agree with you said earlier is the fact this will just push it online more. I just dont want people to go through what I did and it's very very easy to, scarily easy.

It's funny you should say that, a mate of mine had spent a fair wad one Saturday afternoon and was about to do one because he was on a downer, that was until a member of staff stopped him by the door and offered him a free £5 bet, the free bet he placed came up and he ended up staying and spending the winnings from that free bet, and more on top.

without fat people maccies would lose a lot of business the same way without bad gamblers bookies would, are maccies morally wrong then for avdertising their food all over the tele? on buses? preying on fat people to spend money

Even those with the most voracious of appetites would struggle to spend more than a hundred pounds at McDonald's, similar (albeit probably you can spend a fair bit more) with someone with an alcohol issue at the pub, as there is only so much the body can take in one sitting.

Now both of those things can be really bad over the longer term impacting your health, bank balance and relationships if abused, but nothing can quite cause the immediate devastation that gambling can. Just one bad day or even a single afternoon and you may have lost enough money to seriously impact your and your loved ones lives. This could easily lead to being made homeless, a breakdown of a relationship(s) and/or suicidal thoughts.

It is a blight on our society that there is so much in your face advertising for something so easily abused.

It's genuinely scary some people are oblivious to the disease gambling has on society.

Bookies are prominent in the poorer areas.

It's genuinely scary some people are oblivious to the disease gambling has on society.

Bookies are prominent in the poorer areas.

So are bargain booze and Bright House shops, you don't have to use them. I think kids should be taught the dangers of all these things in school, gambling, drinking and terrible rates of interest

So are bargain booze and Bright House shops, you don't have to use them. I think kids should be taught the dangers of all these things in school, gambling, drinking and terrible rates of interest

Correct, but with gambling as previously mentioned, you can spend thousands on your phone whilst sitting at your desk in work.

If anyone doesn't like EFC having a betting 'partner' then just find another 'partner' to stump up the cash and all will be solved.

If anyone is thinking Betting companies should be banned or not allowed to advertise then take it up with your MP and the FA. There are plenty of groups to join to campaign against the industry so go and join one.

Sportspesa is on our shirt but I'd say the vast majority of people in this country don't know what the heck it is........and don't care. It just becomes part of the pattern of the shirt.
What's the point in EFC taking a stand when the perimeter advertising is constantly showing adverts for betting companies that are much better known in this country....do you think this would be banned just because we dropped our shirt sponsor? Do you really think the people who need help with their addiction will suddenly stop going in betting shops or online to gamble? ......just because we dropped a sponsor.........get real.

Being 'plucky old Everton' doesn't wash any more. We go where the money is and if a company offers more then hopefully it'll be a decent one. If not then maybe we could land a 'destroyer' of the Amazon rain forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.