Sportspesa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky Sports is just a vehicle for SkyBet these days.

It's why they can buy everything up.
They make more money from the betting than they do from subscriptions.
It's one of the reasons that the commentators spew out so many statistics during events. For the in-play betting.

But yeah. Not a big fan of having them on the shirts.

This gets mentioned all the time.

Sky do not own Sky Bet. They have a very small stake, but they are completely separate entities.

You are half right with the stats thing.

The commentators do not 'spew out stats' for betting. However, it is true that stats companies (I now work for the biggest in the world) make the majority of their money from selling for betting.

This gets mentioned all the time.

Sky do not own Sky Bet. They have a very small stake, but they are completely separate entities.

You are half right with the stats thing.

The commentators do not 'spew out stats' for betting. However, it is true that stats companies (I now work for the biggest in the world) make the majority of their money from selling for betting.

I see. Thanks for the info.

We’ve had this Sports Pesa / gambling debate on GOT a few times now. I’m firmly of the view that we should get another sponsor as for me it’s incompatible with the values that EiTC bring to the club. I took a long look at this when a family member got caught up in gambling addiction. It’s more these days than nipping into the bookies before going to the pub, for youngsters it’s insidious, they can bet on their phones every minute every day on anything. Nanny state ? Maybe ,but the amount of money that betting companies actually contribute to gambling addiction prevention is appalling. I said sometime ago on here that attitudes will change , it may take a while but someday we will look back on this sponsorship deal with embarrassment.

After watching the Ross Kemp programme regarding betting addiction and the problems what people go through due to it, I think it's terrible we are letting ourselves be sponsored by Sportspesa, especially with all the work we have done in the community.

It's cheap of the club choosing this cause they are the highest bidder.

I think the we as fans should be pushing for a change of sponsor sooner rather than later.

This is even with all the trouble in Kenya currently going on with them.
Abso-bloody-lutely this is the case. This is the only thing that Everton has ever done that I'm totally ashamed of.

I don't have a problem with betting companies on football shirts, I dont think it will affect an addict. I agree more needs to be done to help those addicted and should come via legislation and betting companies should help fund programs to help addicts to stop gambling.

I don't have a problem with betting companies on football shirts, I dont think it will affect an addict. I agree more needs to be done to help those addicted and should come via legislation and betting companies should help fund programs to help addicts to stop gambling.

I've mentioned it before in other similar threads but in my view there's only so much you can do to help an addict of anything.

And so while I absolutely agree there should be tighter constraints, it ultimately boils down to the people getting addicted in the first place if they're gonna stop.

I was completely against the FOBT restrictions and on any attempt to restrict personal freedom of choice.

Just because some people have gambling problems doesn't mean everyone should suffer/clubs cant be sponsered by betting firms.

Nanny state strikes again iirc.

What do you mean by nanny state? Would you take away smoking and drinking ages? And driving licenses? Gun laws? Let 12 year olds gamble?

I suffered from addiction and I still get the urge now. Only been two years since my last bet so I don't count myself as being out of the woods yet.

I do however count myself as being one of the lucky ones. I was still living at home, I had a decent regular wage and could clear myself of the debt. The feelings of worthlessness took me to dark places though, places you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

I was spending £400 on single bets. To me, the money wasn't real, I had no physical relationship with it. Click of a button and it was gone. It was far too easy. People will say it was my own free will and a fool and his money are soon parted. Maybe you are correct, but during that time in my life I didn't feel like I had free will. I was ill and needed help. I reached out to those around me but so many don't and we know what happens then.

The idea we have a betting sponsor on our shirts depresses me no end. I think about all the other people out there suffering right now and these companies profiting from their misery. Betting can be fun but unfortunately for far too many it's destroying their lives. Until these bookmakers get a grip of their ethics we shouldn't have anything to do with them. Whatever they are paying, it isn't enough to go on that shirt. Some things are bigger than money.

....slight conflict of interest for me because I like a bet, but I accept it can be problematic for some. It’s probably a matter of time before betting advertising goes the way of booze and tobacco adverts.
I enjoy a bet too, the issue I have is probably the same as most that the kids jerseys are not the same as the players, I'd like to be able to get my lads the same jersey that they see on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.