2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

As another target escapes our grasp it would seem that Davek was right, this fella is too busy doing interviews and photoshoots....

Wasnt really his fault, he did what was best for him.

The club however dropped the ball BIG TIME.

Negotiations for a contract extension began in May 2009. Gosling declared "there's no other club I'd rather be at",[14] however no extension was agreed and his contract with Everton expired on 30 June 2010.[15] During contract negotiations Gosling was represented by David Hodgson, a solicitor and former professional football player.

On 6 July 2010, the Daily Mirror reported that the PFCC tribunal's decision allowed Gosling to leave Everton under the Bosman ruling with no compensation being paid by the club who sign the player.[16] The Daily Mail reported that the player earned £8,000 per week and had rejected a verbal offer of a £15,000 a week contract from Everton.[17] Everton were required to submit a contract with better terms than the existing contract to Gosling before the 30 May deadline to enable the club to receive compensation from any English club interested in signing Gosling. The compensation amount has been reported as being as high as £4million.

The PFCC tribunal based their decision on Everton's contract offer being verbally arranged and not in writing: had the contract been in writing the Merseyside club would have been entitled to compensation should Gosling have moved to another English club (but not to a non-English club) as he is under 24 years of age. The tribunal's decision also meant that Gosling's previous club Plymouth Argyle would receive no monetary amount despite a sell-on clause in Gosling's Everton contract.[18] As the playing contract expired Everton and Plymouth are also no longer entitled to solidarity contributions despite the player being registered with the clubs before he turned 23.[19] During the season Plymouth went into administration.
This I strongly disagree with.

Yes, we all want a payday
Yes, he was not born Evertonian, nor raised in the system
Yes, loyalty doesn't exist in a short career of football.
And yes, money talks, lets never forget about that

However, in this case, Gosling was getting plenty of minutes for his age at an upper half club. He explicitly stated he wanted to be here, and had an offer of more than doubling his wages.

Now, if my employer said they would double my wages just before I got another offer, the least I would do is to go back and tell them about the counter-offer to give them a chance to match it. If no such offer was presented, I'd agree and not lose sleep over it. But this was snake-behaviour, not to forget he screwed over his native club as well in the process.
He's a sub for Bournemouth today, earning 35k a week. Great career choice.

For me, this guy is on par with Barmby and Barkley.

Status
Not open for further replies.