Everton Youth Teams Thread

Way too many guys in that team have already had an entire season in the u23s and should be going on loan. Even League 1 or Scotland are better than these games. Either loan them or sell them. Guys like Evans and Connolly are probably at the point that they should be going permanently. Gibson and Gordon have both shown enough in preseason that they should be going somewhere to try and kick on. Unsworth gets a lot of blame but he isn't going to develop anyone on his own because that league just isn't up to standard.

We've discussed this, it's not always easy to get the players out on loan, there was basically no news of anyone interested in them apart from a couple of links for Evans.
Plus Gibson can't be loaned out, he's our 4th choice centre back at present and Gordon is only 18 and there's not much of him, likely get crushed in league 1

We've discussed this, it's not always easy to get the players out on loan, there was basically no news of anyone interested in them apart from a couple of links for Evans.
Plus Gibson can't be loaned out, he's our 4th choice centre back at present and Gordon is only 18 and there's not much of him, likely get crushed in league 1
Honestly they should be doing everything to get these guys somewhere. Pay all the wages. Send them to the conference. Whatever is necessary to get them playing open age football and not just against youth players.

Honestly they should be doing everything to get these guys somewhere. Pay all the wages. Send them to the conference. Whatever is necessary to get them playing open age football and not just against youth players.
No offence but you can tell you’re not au fait with the English football pyramid. An 18 year old absolutely does not need to be playing in the conference, they probably wouldn’t get picked and if they did they’d spend far too much time trying to compensate for their lack of physicality and nowhere near enough time working on their skills. There’s a reason why pretty much no teams do what you’re suggesting.

No offence but you can tell you’re not au fait with the English football pyramid. An 18 year old absolutely does not need to be playing in the conference, they probably wouldn’t get picked and if they did they’d spend far too much time trying to compensate for their lack of physicality and nowhere near enough time working on their skills. There’s a reason why pretty much no teams do what you’re suggesting.

I agree. Out of all the loans these players go on, I can't think of many that have been really successful. When they don't start regularly for the teams they join, they are then often training in worse facilities with inferior players and they are obviously not going to be utilised in the way a home grown player is with the scope to grow and develop as any potential homegrown stars will take precedent.

Unless the players are going to fill a specific role or gap in the team they are joining which insists on them being used, I'd actually sooner allow them to train with the 1st team here and draft in the top performers for some 1st team experience. I believe that even training with quality players in that environment will help younger players improve and also allows them to compare with what we have, and maybe even adapt into roles unfamiliar with them that they can make their own.

Ok but something we are doing currently isn't working. I understand that lower leagues tend to be more physical over skill but that can have benefits. Playing u23s for multiple years isn't going to cut it.

Ok but something we are doing currently isn't working. I understand that lower leagues tend to be more physical over skill but that can have benefits. Playing u23s for multiple years isn't going to cut it.
I agree to a point, but I think sometimes people get a bit obsessed with loans.

Even ignoring the really precocious talents who break through early, the likes of wan Bissaka, winks, mctominay, James who united just signed, Walker-Peters etc have all broken through at 20 or later without loans. The idea that a load of our 19 year olds will all wither and die without a loan just isn’t grounded in reality.

A quick look at Leicester’s line up last night shows a similar age profile to ours and yet people make out it’s just us picking that type of squad.

I agree to a point, but I think sometimes people get a bit obsessed with loans.

Even ignoring the really precocious talents who break through early, the likes of wan Bissaka, winks, mctominay, James who united just signed, Walker-Peters etc have all broken through at 20 or later without loans. The idea that a load of our 19 year olds will all wither and die without a loan just isn’t grounded in reality.

A quick look at Leicester’s line up last night shows a similar age profile to ours and yet people make out it’s just us picking that type of squad.
I kind of agree the loan thing doesn't always work either it just seems like for Everton specifically no one is coming through the u23s to the first team but maybe that's just a case of not being good enough regardless.

I kind of agree the loan thing doesn't always work either it just seems like for Everton specifically no one is coming through the u23s to the first team but maybe that's just a case of not being good enough regardless.

There was 2 outfield starters last night with the potential to be a 1st teamer, Gibson and Gordon, most u23 teams would be similar

Always seemed to get an injury when on the verge of maybe being in the first team squad great talent hopefully he can make his way up again
I seem to remember Walsh getting back into the England set up at the end of a season, picking up another injury and missing out . It may have been the U20s World Cup. Six months later and he was gone.