Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Alright lads, hope everyone is well.

Long time since I been on this site since getting myself better.

I’m currently taking Elvanse 50 mg a day for my ADHD and have realised I must stop Booze altogether now.

Life hasn’t been fair to me at all the past 6 months, and I seemed to have had bad luck after bad luck, and got myself into a massive spiral to depression.

I also suffer with Anxiety and have been on Propranolol to take when I get attacks, but I honestly think avoiding Alcohol and exercising regularly is the key for me.

I’ve been offered Mirtazipine (taken Prozac in the past and did nothing) to help with Depression and Sleep, but I’d rather do it without and have started to take Fish Oil, Zinc, Vitamin D3, Lysine and Arginine which I’ve read up are very useful in helping with depression and stabilising mood, and I’m so glad I have because I have been far better ever since. So I hugely recommend these for everyone to try.

I did also go to see the Crisis Team and have now referred me to iCope (if anyone has used them and can say if any good) for Talking Therapy.

When I did go 2 months without Alcohol I felt the best I had in my life, and was wondering if anyone else who suffers from similar is the same.

I’ve unfortunately pushed a lot of good people away, and ruined many good friendships and chances because of my struggles, but now for once in my life feel like I’m starting to become the person I should be.

Interested if there’s any other ADHD’ers on here also, and how everyone else copes.
Like I know jack, but it seems you're on the right road, it might be a bit bumpy, but it'll get you there.

Alright lads, hope everyone is well.

Long time since I been on this site since getting myself better.

I’m currently taking Elvanse 50 mg a day for my ADHD and have realised I must stop Booze altogether now.

Life hasn’t been fair to me at all the past 6 months, and I seemed to have had bad luck after bad luck, and got myself into a massive spiral to depression.

I also suffer with Anxiety and have been on Propranolol to take when I get attacks, but I honestly think avoiding Alcohol and exercising regularly is the key for me.

I’ve been offered Mirtazipine (taken Prozac in the past and did nothing) to help with Depression and Sleep, but I’d rather do it without and have started to take Fish Oil, Zinc, Vitamin D3, Lysine and Arginine which I’ve read up are very useful in helping with depression and stabilising mood, and I’m so glad I have because I have been far better ever since. So I hugely recommend these for everyone to try.

I did also go to see the Crisis Team and have now referred me to iCope (if anyone has used them and can say if any good) for Talking Therapy.

When I did go 2 months without Alcohol I felt the best I had in my life, and was wondering if anyone else who suffers from similar is the same.

I’ve unfortunately pushed a lot of good people away, and ruined many good friendships and chances because of my struggles, but now for once in my life feel like I’m starting to become the person I should be.

Interested if there’s any other ADHD’ers on here also, and how everyone else copes.

You have made great steps and should be chuffed ,do what you are doing now and as advised try to rebuild your friendships but don't be disheartened if that is hard ,it will ,sorry has changed for you already .Keep up the great effort and enjoy the feeling of achievement . I have always known that booze just exaggerates your mood so if you don't feel good it doesn't help it just hides it . I don't know you but I feel proud for you .

after having some very odd experiences on 40mg of fluexitine (per day) ive now weaned myself off it and gone back to 20mg of citalopram..

I just wasn't myself on fluexitine , esp if id had a few drinks . it was like I was a pee' d up 16 year old who couldn't handle their drink, its been a very embarrassing few weeks all round.

after having some very odd experiences on 40mg of fluexitine (per day) ive now weaned myself off it and gone back to 20mg of citalopram..

I just wasn't myself on fluexitine , esp if id had a few drinks . it was like I was a pee' d up 16 year old who couldn't handle their drink, its been a very embarrassing few weeks all round.

ive done this without going to the docs too.... I had a loads of citalopram left over , and only came off them due to the nightmares.

id rather have nightmare than feel the way I have the last month or so.

tapered myself down from 40, to 20 over a week, then had 3 days off it all..... then back to citalopram 20mg.

Oh mate, I hope your choice of antidepressants doesn’t boil down to which one mixes best with the ale!!!

You’ve come off the fluoxetine very sensibly though and I hope you’re feeling better back on the citalopram.

There’s a range of other antidepressants you could be prescribed but you don’t know what effect they may have on you. Sometimes best stick with what you know. Lots of discussion here recently about strategies to improve mental health not involving medication. Maybe you could look back on those posts and try some of the excellent advice given by the good and the great here

Ingesting alcohol along with ADs counteracts a lot of the good work that ADs do. Alcohol influences cortisol, serotonin, dopamine and a host of other things. The things that your body is trying to balance while taking ADs.

Don't overdo it pal. Moderation is key. And by moderation, studies say 1-2 drinks.

Ingesting alcohol along with ADs counteracts a lot of the good work that ADs do. Alcohol influences cortisol, serotonin, dopamine and a host of other things. The things that your body is trying to balance while taking ADs.

Don't overdo it pal. Moderation is key. And by moderation, studies say 1-2 drinks.

Plus hangovers massively exacerbate anxiety / depression too.

Oh mate, I hope your choice of antidepressants doesn’t boil down to which one mixes best with the ale!!!

You’ve come off the fluoxetine very sensibly though and I hope you’re feeling better back on the citalopram.

There’s a range of other antidepressants you could be prescribed but you don’t know what effect they may have on you. Sometimes best stick with what you know. Lots of discussion here recently about strategies to improve mental health not involving medication. Maybe you could look back on those posts and try some of the excellent advice given by the good and the great here

it is a little bit like that , I have a drink problem , where I cantjust go out for 2 or 3 , ive always abused alcoh, whenever I go out its till im blind drunk basically.

its always been the same , and all my friends are exactly the same. to get out of the rut id have to lose all my life friends which im not going to do.

just recently though I have been hitting it quite hard and plus going all weird on what I can only assume is the meds im on too.

im just trying to find a happy medium for me.

ive suffered hangovers all my life, so understand what they are and how to cope with them.

i can go days , even weeks without drink, but then when I go out its properly out . I don't think I will ever change , ive tried several times but I cant do it

it is a little bit like that , I have a drink problem , where I cantjust go out for 2 or 3 , ive always abused alcoh, whenever I go out its till im blind drunk basically.

its always been the same , and all my friends are exactly the same. to get out of the rut id have to lose all my life friends which im not going to do.

just recently though I have been hitting it quite hard and plus going all weird on what I can only assume is the meds im on too.

im just trying to find a happy medium for me.

ive suffered hangovers all my life, so understand what they are and how to cope with them.

i can go days , even weeks without drink, but then when I go out its properly out . I don't think I will ever change , ive tried several times but I cant do it
I gave up the booze completely because hangovers became unbearable. Don't miss it at all, made giving up smoking a lot easier as well.

I gave up the booze completely because hangovers became unbearable. Don't miss it at all, made giving up smoking a lot easier as well.
i wish I could the same.

like I say im not one of these that HAS to have drink everyday or when you wake up etc etc ect… but when I go out I get bladdered.

life to me is way to much of a borefest , I need these blowouts to keep me partly sane.

i wish I could the same.

like I say im not one of these that HAS to have drink everyday or when you wake up etc etc ect… but when I go out I get bladdered.

life to me is way to much of a borefest , I need these blowouts to keep me partly sane.

Maybe you just need to make a concerted effort to find a new vice then, Frank? Try some new hobbies or follow a new interest that can replace your Friday/Saturday night in the pub? I’m sure you won’t want that to be your weekend routine forever and there’s no time like the present to make a change.

I personally spent every Thursday, Friday & Saturday on the sesh for years in my early 20’s but now I’m just bored of it and only go out when it’s a birthday or special occasion. I still struggle with FOMO (fear of missing out) when my friends go out but I’d much rather feel that than dreadful hangovers, horrid diets & massive sinks in my bank balance.

Most Saturday nights now I try till with foreign football (why I got into it in the first place), doing my Warhammer models, visiting grandparents etc. Some might look at it and think I’m being boring not going out or that I’m isolating myself but they don’t see the bigger picture.