Centre Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve had issues with our midfield since 14/15. Gueye leaving has not suddenly caused us a crisis. When he was here we had massive problems also. Ultimately there’s not enough pace power creativity amongst the players to compete at a consistent level for 38 games. That’s not Gbamin’s fault (who might actually help address this) because he was a bit rusty on his first game. It’s 5 years of shoddy recruitment that is to blame.

My view is that Silva needs to move away from a team built around Siggurdson at 10 and go to the 433 that he played in his other clubs. We’d then need to find which of Delph, Siggurdson, Davies could play alongside Gbamin and Gomes to get goals from midfield and support the front three. 4231 feels far too formulaic now. Teams just isolate Siggurdson and we’re left with pushing the full backs forward as our only way to attack.

We’ve had issues with our midfield since 14/15. Gueye leaving has not suddenly caused us a crisis. When he was here we had massive problems also. Ultimately there’s not enough pace power creativity amongst the players to compete at a consistent level for 38 games. That’s not Gbamin’s fault (who might actually help address this) because he was a bit rusty on his first game. It’s 5 years of shoddy recruitment that is to blame.

My view is that Silva needs to move away from a team built around Siggurdson at 10 and go to the 433 that he played in his other clubs. We’d then need to find which of Delph, Siggurdson, Davies could play alongside Gbamin and Gomes to get goals from midfield and support the front three. 4231 feels far too formulaic now. Teams just isolate Siggurdson and we’re left with pushing the full backs forward as our only way to attack.
Absolutely this.

I do.

But he has what he's got. Up to him to make something out of those players and I expect him to experiment with formations a lot more.

Drinkwater went to Burnley on loan. I dont understand why we didn't go for him.

Hahahahahahahahaha

I've had a novel thought.

Let's not write the team off after one match eh? Bloody hell, sometimes this place (and some people) are definitely weird. One game, that's all it's taken. Write off a new player for half a match and one who hasn't played yet. Chuffing hell.
If we beat Watford’s it will all look much rosier, mind you if we lose the loons will be saying we are in a relegation dogfight :)

Maybe this should go in the formations thread but too many good insights not to put me 5 cents in here....thanks @davek

Been banging on for a while now about the 4231. 2 main problems are:

1) the system is much more static than it is creative and flexible. With two defensive mids and an attacking mid you are already set up, there is not much you can go to from there - it is one of the more easier things to defend, take the 10 out of the game and restrict the access of advancing DMs to the play. There seems to be no inclination by Silva for any rotational play of the 6,8,10 to unlock this, instead relying heavily on the full backs and wingers to progress and hopefully create space for the centre men. And if there is not the dynamic mvt around, and the space is not there, Sig is not the no.10 you'd want.

2) the roles of the lone forward and wingers are problematic, forcing the tactics to compensate in these areas. This leads to predictability which opp coaches can easily counter, leading to difficulty in breaking down defences. Over compensating or getting more creative, leads to destabilising the system, it opens itself up very quickly to opposition attacks. Same if you throw the pressing game in there - if the opp tactics to counter the press works its a mess and you've got no natural transfer of strategy to get out of it - esp without Gana.

This idea that the players weren't prepared to take risks against Palace is more to do with Silva.
Firstly they do take risks in pressing, knowing it could fall apart quite easily under this system.
Secondly Silva's system and tactics don't lend themselves to creating and having a go.
Thirdly, with a lack of confidence in what they are meant to be doing in attack after Hodgson second half brief, they were at least not going to allow themselves to lose that match, esp with Gomes injury and the Schnide red card.
These players will go at it - given the means.

A coach choosing a 4231 is essentially lazy - taking what seems to be a solid, safe starting option by planting two holding mids and working it out from there.
A coach choosing a 4231 and throwing a pressing game into it is either madness or desperation.
A coach choosing a 4231 to sit and survive is the only one that makes sense.

While the squad is lacking depth in certain areas and in certain skill sets, there is more than enough to do well this season, given we have a bit of luck with injuries and suspensions - otherwise top 10, and progress in certain areas, will do until next.

But Silva needs to, as @ Degsy eloquently puts it, 'adapt or die' - changing the system, starting with the centre of the park is a must.

Its got be said though that given the end of season from, when Silva was forced to focus on how to counter the tactics of the top 6, rather than simply trying to have his system beat theirs, he did well. Gone was the desperation and manic substitutions. But he's going to need to break down the likes of Palace if he's going to succeed. And he's got a string of em coming up.

Simply the range and combination of attacking play has to increase. Its just like boxing.
You can see the simple jab, jab, hook coming a mile away in a 4231, and you know not much else is coming.
The fact the players have done as good as they have with Silva's system says something.

Personally I like the interplay of the diamond 442 and the 433.
I'd rather have a lone DCM with the rest of the side working their nuts for and from him, than a lone striker.
JP may or may not be ideal, but we have the players around him to make up for whatever.

---Iwobi---------------Rico
----------------Kean-------
----Delph--------------Sig
-----------------JP---------
Digne---MIna---Keane---SC

One of the good things about this is the potential interplay between Keane and Sig.
Keane can drop or go. The space he leaves can always be filled by Sig, Or he can hold and Sig goes through.

Or a very strong left side. Could be as good as anything in the PL if allowed to play.
With Delph the link and cover, it should give a lot of cohesion to the play, not only allowing Digne and Iwobi to get creative and drive the side forward, but Delph providing glue for the whole team.
Once the side starts entering the attacking third, Delph is perfectly positioned to link effectively with JP as the pivot/defence.
Sig makes his runs forward, Delph can sit in more. So you get the only benefit of the 4231 without being imprisoned by it.
Obviously it can be mirrored on the other side.

We don't have to have both Gomes and Sig on the field together. If they have to compete for a position that's a good thing.
We also have Bernard and Davies, who with a more logical creative approach should be able to come in and thrive as well, in a number of positions.

There is no static front two in this either. Iwobi or Richarlison are always dropping when the build up is on their side.
If Kean is coached well in positioning while given the freedom to express, it all should start to click.

There is a lot of potential for mixing it up, rotations and countless types of combination play without the integrity of the system coming apart.

Pleeeasse Marco, set us free!

I agree with the general statement mate except we don't really play 4-2-3-1.

Yes on paper it looks like it, but in terms of avg positiomn Gylfi spends more time up with the striker - because he's told to. Hence, a big gap in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.