2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't. We got a player (or two) for every position we needed, bar CB. That's a big error.

But, we have 5 CMs. You can't really legislate for a suspension and two injuries in the same area of the pitch in the space of one game.

Weren't you saying last week you wished we'd bin off the Doucoure bid and focus mainly on getting Zaha, anyway?
Who are these 5 CMs? Gbamin, Morgan, and Siggy aren't CMs.

Who are these 5 CMs? Gbamin, Morgan, and Siggy aren't CMs.

We have five players for two positions in the centre of midfield:

Gbamin, Gomes, Schneiderlin, Davies, Delph.

I am not talking about 6s or 8s specifically. But we play 2 (maybe we will change to 3) midfielders, with two wide forwards, one second striker and one forward typically.

So for those two deepest positions, we have a choice of five.

Schneiderlin and Gmabin are holding players. Gomes wants to be the ball-carrying playmaker. Delph and Davies box-to-box types.

One game into the season and already moaning.

And we didn't even lose.. People seem to be forgetting that Palace is a tough place to go, even City worry about it - in the All or Nothing documentary Pep said it's a difficult place to play before they dropped points there. First game of the season is never easy as well!

And we didn't even lose.. People seem to be forgetting that Palace is a tough place to go, even City worry about it - in the All or Nothing documentary Pep said it's a difficult place to play before they dropped points there. First game of the season is never easy as well!
It's not really a tough place to go in Premier League terms. I mean obviously there's the cliched no easy games at this level, but Palace lost 9 of their 19 home games last season, the place is hardly a fortress. That's not me trying to say it was a bad result, a point away from home rarely is, but I just prefer to be honest about things. On the basis that we never win away at the top 6, chalking down places like Palace as difficult to get anything from too doesn't leave us a lot of scope for actually winning any away games.

It's not really a tough place to go in Premier League terms. I mean obviously there's the cliched no easy games at this level, but Palace lost 9 of their 19 home games last season, the place is hardly a fortress. That's not me trying to say it was a bad result, a point away from home rarely is, but I just prefer to be honest about things. On the basis that we never win away at the top 6, chalking down places like Palace as difficult to get anything from too doesn't leave us a lot of scope for actually winning any away games.

I mean we did have two shots cleared off the line.

We don’t win many away games though. It’s a problem that’s blighted us for decades. Can put it down to a lack of quality but teams that are worse than us tend to pull off the odd away win more than us. It’s the same with our record away from home at the top 6. You’ll see Palace win at City and Cardiff at United yet it’s never us winning there.

I don’t know what to put it down to but our approach to away games regardless of manager is not conducive to winning them. Conversely we probably have a better home record than similar teams to us. I don’t know what the answer is but I’d wager that once again we’ll finish the season with less than 5 wins away from home.

I wouldn't describe it as a fortress either but they don't roll over for anyone there. They got something from 50% of games last season, and nobody beat them at home by more than 2 goals which shows they're hard to break down. First game of the season to win away means that you are ready to hit the ground running, and we sadly aren't due to injuries, suspensions and late arrivals.
With that in mind a point away at Palace is a good result and had Gomes not gone off injured then it did look like we were creating enough to score, so with all that in mind coming through your first game under difficult circumstances with an away point is realistically a good, if slightly disappointing, result. It would be a completely different away point if this wasn't our first game though as if we do want to finish 7th or above then we will need to pick up points from tough but winnable away games - I wouldn't be as generous when playing Villa in two weeks if we draw there.

I just mean it’s a shame we didn’t beat Palace but on any other day two shots don’t get cleared off the line and we win that. I’m not so concerned we couldn’t beat them.
No I agree. I wasn't saying it was a poor performance or anything, it just seemed a bit of a stretch to be saying that Palace was a tough place to go. Again, none of them are easy, but Palace is likely to be in the 'easier' 50% of our away assignments in this league so making out like we should all factor in how hard it is to go there seems a bit overly defensive for me.

We don’t win many away games though. It’s a problem that’s blighted us for decades. Can put it down to a lack of quality but teams that are worse than us tend to pull off the odd away win more than us. It’s the same with our record away from home at the top 6. You’ll see Palace win at City and Cardiff at United yet it’s never us winning there.

I don’t know what to put it down to but our approach to away games regardless of manager is not conducive to winning them. Conversely we probably have a better home record than similar teams to us. I don’t know what the answer is but I’d wager that once again we’ll finish the season with less than 5 wins away from home.

I think our system is part of the issue with away performances also our players inconsistency and mentality. We don't go into these games expecting and demanding to win we just hope.

I think our system is part of the issue with away performances also our players inconsistency and mentality. We don't go into these games expecting and demanding to win we just hope.

Yeah it’s odd because there’s times we pull out a performance like we did at Burnley, or win at a tough ground like Leicester and you think here we go. Then we’ll go to Fulham and it’s a complete non performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.