2019/20 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
...was speaking to somebody associated with the club over the weekend who told me they have to monitor the lads mental strength and confidence. Apparently he’s very quiet, particularly on the pitch and a bit of a worrier.

Like in any walk of life, I suppose Football is made up of very different types.
For a centre back he should be more vocal, his nerves do show through and to be honest he worries the life out of me whenever the other team are on the attack. Against Wolves, at Goodison last season, young Jonjoe Kenny was screaming at him to get the ball forward as Keane dallied and dallied with the ball, Keane should have been the one giving orders and confidence to the younger player.

Hopefully this doesn’t have an effect on him going forward as his form the last 9 or so months has been very good.
Perhaps a case of being overawed at being a premier league player...
Michael had a very good grounding at Man.Unt and was a premier league player at Burnley so he should have been ready to kick off at Everton, unless he was overawed at the huge fee paid for him.

He was very good on Saturday.

I think last seasons performances have somehow gone down as being a lot better than they actually were in the main. He was decent overall, much better than the season before, but still not particularly impressive in my opinion.

If he carries on like saturday though, I’ll have no complaints.

He was a better defender than both Mina and Zouma last year, unfortunately it wasn’t popular on here to think this.
If you played any other combination of centre halves at the club together without him, it would show massively.
This season he will get the chance to make a partnership with Mina. Last year I thought we switched the pairings up too much. It’s the most important part of the team to have a settled pairing and this year we don’t really have a choice.

...it’s probably just the lads natural character. He must have some fortitude to play at this level, but perhaps he’s just a bit fragile if he has something that’s concerning him.
Not judging here in anyway and I never got no were near pro level .Its just puzzles me with professionals thou how they could have confidence issues as they are top of the pile and are better than millions of people who play footie .I think the biggest crowd I ever played in front of was at most 1-2 hundred so is it nerves before games that are hard to control or being in the constant spotlight which some people don't like but like any sport at elite level it must be so hard but maybe Keane is a shy quiet lad who needs a arm round the shoulder and needs a natural leader next to him to bring the best out of him?

...was speaking to somebody associated with the club over the weekend who told me they have to monitor the lads mental strength and confidence. Apparently he’s very quiet, particularly on the pitch and a bit of a worrier.

Like in any walk of life, I suppose Football is made up of very different types.
Interesting to hear Eggs. The lad always seems to come across well in interviews though I must admit that I did hear at one point during his debut season that when he was playing through injury he was going through a tough period with his mental health in general... so perhaps it has credence.

Would hope extrovert Yerald would pair well with that temperament.

He is a great defender, who after a rocky start is coming into his own. Extremely solid, and I agree with a couple of posters above that due to all the fuss over Zouma last year, he was underrated imho.

Zouma was great for us, Kean STILL is great for us, and I thoroughly believe he will form a formidable partnership with Mina - both are going to get a long run in the side together, which is superb for building trust, confidence and ability.

We do still need cover though, so yes even though Im confident, there is also that worry if something goes wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.