Match Thread Crystal Palace 0-0 Everton, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton boss Marco Silva: "Tough game, competitive as you would expect. We lost Andre (Gomes), we were controlling the game, creating moments - it's clear for me in some moments when you bring in new players they need time to adapt. Today was a good example, we lost some balls in zones we cannot.
"Our first half deserved something more. A clean sheet, the attitude was there. We lost some easy balls and if they didn't happen we would have controlled the game until the end."

Everton captain Seamus Coleman: "Away from home it's always good to keep a clean sheet but we would have liked to have won the game. We go home with a point.
"Jordan (Pickford) is England's number one for a reason, a top goalkeeper and great shot-stopper. You have to rely on goalkeepers at this level.
"The wind was swirling the whole game so very difficult to read long balls, but it's the same for both teams."

Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford: "We could have created a couple more chances but we got the clean sheet. There was a lot of wind, but we came away and didn't get beat, so we can build some momentum for next week.
"We need to pick up as many points as we can. We went down to 10 men and played well, managed the game. We knew Palace would come at us a bit more but we dealt well with it as a defensive unit."
On the red card: "Thought it was a bit soft but it's the referee's decision, we got on with it and kept our heads."
On two good saves: "I was reading the game well. I trust in my ability. The second one I was in the right position."

What have we learnt today?

DCL isn’t good enough can’t score
Schniderlin should have been sold
Once again we are completely toothless up front

What’s new

Sadly those lessons were learnt a long time ago. How we have headed into a new season attempting to compete with the top 6 with a below standard striker who doesn’t score leading the line is beyond me.

A point it is then. Thought this would be a tight game and so it proved. Speaking to a friend who went and he said Keane & Mina were good. And Pickford made a couple of important saves.
He also said Schneiderlin was a bit unlucky to be yellow carded twice. But, once booked you have to be careful.
On the negative side, said Glyfi was poor and Gbamin looked out of his depth (a tad worrying.....although obviously has to be given time to adjust).
Given the red card and when it was, a point was ok.
But.....there's obviously been an issue scoring in pre-season and in this game.

ppreflex.gif

Same old, played a side who’s fans hadn’t looked forward to the season starting. New signings brought in and the stadium reveal the other week you’d think we’d have a spring in our step, oh Everton how we’ve missed you frustrating us of a Saturday afternoon. The CB situation is a worry why wasn’t that addressed when we let jags go?

Yet it was our best area of the pitch today and garnered 60% of the above MOTM votes????

And at least Gbamin was allowed 45 minutes in a new team in a new league a week after joining to be told he's not good enough. 45 more than Iwobi has been allowed.

This fan base :(

Pickford - couple of great saves , played well
Digne - Always class
Mina - Good performance - solid
Keane - Good performance - solid
Coleman - Couple of defensive lapses but decent
Scneirderlin - Played well until the two silly bookings
Gomes - Not up to speed yet - went off injured
Bernard- tries one too many a trick and needs to work on end product but obv good player
Richarlison - Could have done better but was ok - doesn't look fully fit
Gylfi - Poor today - not sure what was up with him
DCL - Works hard but lacking confidence and not a natural in front of goal
Gbamin- bit sloppy but will come good
Kean- Better than DCL already and should start the next game

I'm still to see Silva's style of play. Defensively solid today, but not enough support for an attacking threat. Too many big 'switch' passes.

Sadly those lessons were learnt a long time ago. How we have headed into a new season attempting to compete with the top 6 with a below standard striker who doesn’t score leading the line is beyond me.

It never changes and probably never will. We are short at the back defensively as Zouma was our best defender. Such a shame

I'll take a point given the stupid sending off but it's these kind of games we need to win to really push for a top 6 place. We all knew after pre-season we lack goals and creativity, that was evident again today. Hopefully singing Kean and Iwobi will make a difference in the coming games (I personally think it will). DCL, although he works hard, is not good enough for the level we want to be at. I also completely understand why Marco wanted another midfielder, once Gomes went off we lost control of the game.
There are still many positives to be taken from this match though. Defensively we stayed strong, Pickford did well. Kean for a young lad looks very imposing and his movement looked good, shame we had to sit deep just after he came on but I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.
Lets get behind the new lads and hopefully we can be more clinical.

Pickford - couple of great saves , played well
Digne - Always class
Mina - Good performance - solid
Keane - Good performance - solid
Coleman - Couple of defensive lapses but decent
Scneirderlin - Played well until the two silly bookings
Gomes - Not up to speed yet - went off injured
Bernard- tries one too many a trick and needs to work on end product but obv good player
Richarlison - Could have done better but was ok - doesn't look fully fit
Gylfi - Poor today - not sure what was up with him
DCL - Works hard but lacking confidence and not a natural in front of goal
Gbamin- bit sloppy but will come good
Kean- Better than DCL already and should start the next game
Gylfie is always poor. I think when Delph is fit we will play gbamin Delph and Gomes and Sig will be dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.