Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue we have is both Ozil and Mkhitaryan are on extortionate wages so we're finding it incredibly difficult to move them on. Selling Iwobi was likely a consequence of that.

Whats your honest review of Iwobi? I know a lot of Arsenal fans and they all speak of him highly, one made reference to his final ball and shooting as being somewhat lacklustre, but apart from that the other guys really rate him. Also the guys on arsenal tv kept saying 'this was iwobi year'.

Whats your honest review of Iwobi? I know a lot of Arsenal fans and they all speak of him highly, one made reference to his final ball and shooting as being somewhat lacklustre, but apart from that the other guys really rate him. Also the guys on arsenal tv kept saying 'this was iwobi year'.

Don't trust anything you hear on AFTV. I'm sure the ones bemoaning his exit are the same ones giving him abuse over the years. Whatever gets the most views.

I wrote a bit of an appraisal a few pages back:

As an Arsenal fan, I've mixed feelings on this deal. Iwobi's been a much maligned player over the past couple of seasons and some of our fans have been rejoicing at this news, but they're generally the same ones who wanted Ramsey sold for years and generally have no patience when it comes to young talent.

I think we've done well to receive a good fee for him but I think it's good business from Everton's part as well. There are definitely flaws in Iwobi's game - his finishing is inconsistent, and when he's having a bad day it does seem like nothing comes off for him - but he's a very technically gifted talent with plenty of room to grow. His end product is lacking but his link up play is superb; he's a very intelligent footballer I think in the right system, with good players around him, he can flourish.

I always got the impression that he had something of an imposter syndrome with us, and whilst on his day he didn't look out of place alongside the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang, he would suffer from dips in confidence that he seemed to find difficult to shake. He's not as flashy as Zaha but you've got yourself a great talent with lots of potential, and I think in a new environment he can really push on and become a great player for Everton. I'd like to see him do well, if only to shut some of our own fans up.

tl;dr - confidence player, tidy on the ball but lacking in end product, but tons of potential. Could become a great player for you with the right coaching and support. I'm sad to see him leave but think the fee was fair.

Iwobi's numbers are fine. They indicate he'd be the most creative player on the team.
I agree. All I'm saying is that if we can get a similar step up that we managed with Richarlison, then this would be one of those signings that people will look back on and wonder why no one else was in for him. I like the lad a lot. He can be frustrating but he has come to prominence when Arsenal have fallen behind again, and has become something of a scapegoat for their fans it seems to me. Think a move is exactly what he needs.

I agree. All I'm saying is that if we can get a similar step up that we managed with Richarlison, then this would be one of those signings that people will look back on and wonder why no one else was in for him. I like the lad a lot. He can be frustrating but he has come to prominence when Arsenal have fallen behind again, and has become something of a scapegoat to their fans it seems to me. Think a move is exactly what he needs.
Ok, got it, yeah agreed. Some of these guys just need a change. Think our tactics play a bit to his strengths honestly.

Have we heard any quotes from him yet? I mean, I know he's on holiday after the ACON, but surely there should be something out that from our 30m signing about how he's so made up to have joined Everton.

Have we heard any quotes from him yet? I mean, I know he's on holiday after the ACON, but surely there should be something out that from our 30m signing about how he's so made up to have joined Everton.

IMG_20190810_060344.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.