Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an Arsenal fan, I've mixed feelings on this deal. Iwobi's been a much maligned player over the past couple of seasons and some of our fans have been rejoicing at this news, but they're generally the same ones who wanted Ramsey sold for years and generally have no patience when it comes to young talent.

I think we've done well to receive a good fee for him but I think it's good business from Everton's part as well. There are definitely flaws in Iwobi's game - his finishing is inconsistent, and when he's having a bad day it does seem like nothing comes off for him - but he's a very technically gifted talent with plenty of room to grow. His end product is lacking but his link up play is superb; he's a very intelligent footballer I think in the right system, with good players around him, he can flourish.

I always got the impression that he had something of an imposter syndrome with us, and whilst on his day he didn't look out of place alongside the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang, he would suffer from dips in confidence that he seemed to find difficult to shake. He's not as flashy as Zaha but you've got yourself a great talent with lots of potential, and I think in a new environment he can really push on and become a great player for Everton. I'd like to see him do well, if only to shut some of our own fans up.

....really good insight and many thanks for posting.

As an Arsenal fan, I've mixed feelings on this deal. Iwobi's been a much maligned player over the past couple of seasons and some of our fans have been rejoicing at this news, but they're generally the same ones who wanted Ramsey sold for years and generally have no patience when it comes to young talent.

I think we've done well to receive a good fee for him but I think it's good business from Everton's part as well. There are definitely flaws in Iwobi's game - his finishing is inconsistent, and when he's having a bad day it does seem like nothing comes off for him - but he's a very technically gifted talent with plenty of room to grow. His end product is lacking but his link up play is superb; he's a very intelligent footballer I think in the right system, with good players around him, he can flourish.

I always got the impression that he had something of an imposter syndrome with us, and whilst on his day he didn't look out of place alongside the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang, he would suffer from dips in confidence that he seemed to find difficult to shake. He's not as flashy as Zaha but you've got yourself a great talent with lots of potential, and I think in a new environment he can really push on and become a great player for Everton. I'd like to see him do well, if only to shut some of our own fans up.

Good summary. Cheers.

Cheers. Similar to @49ers perspective with the end product being something we need to work on.

Decent signing, will do well and let's look on the brightside at least it wasn't Welbeck!

I also look at how City did things at first and that was picking off first team starters from the teams around them. I see us doing the same and gradually moving up the table. Time will tell, but I'm being positive on this one. From what I recall, Iwobi has been a regular starter for Arsenal the past few seasons and I wouldn't have marked him as being a weak link in their team. At the end of the day we have strengthened the front line and it will give us a dfifferent option in the squad.

Hard to convince people when we are targeting the likes of Zaha Neres Lozano and end up celebrating Iwobi as a main target. All of them miles ahead of Iwobi and will fit into our team way better than Iwobi.

We just have to wait and see at this point, but to expect him to help us break the glass ceiling is too far fetch. Decent signing yes, breakthrough no. We have enough of half decent signing with a hope they can somehow become world class, Long list of them to be honest. I’m hoping he can prove me wrong.

....i’m not sure we targeted Neres and Lozano, that’s the most encouraging point for me. Neres and Lozano are lauded on here, and both are fine players but they were posters aspirational target’s. Players folk on here want to see.

Silva indicates he wanted a powerful and direct runner to fit his team model. Zaha and Iwobi are that type. I don’t believe Neres and Lozano are. As i’ve said throughout the window, it’s not about who we want, it’s about who Silva/Brands want to fit the way we play.

Strategy.

I think Wobes could make an impact tomorrow. Just stay down in London, meet the players in the morning and throw him in.

The few times I have watched arsenal he was sub . But when he come on the team seemed to spark into life. I hope he will be a decent signing as he has obvious potential. If confidence is his issue then we need to ensure he Is given support.

Personally believe if we had signed Zaha along with Iwobi a lot of people wouldn't be so against the idea of us signing him. The manager has clearly stated he was a target he really wanted so he will have his plans for him and clearly sees him as a potentially decent asset for us. The current regime have got it spot on so far in terms of quality signings let's hope this one proves to be a shrewd acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.