Confirmed Signing Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
....so chuffed with Silva’s comment on Iwobi because they mirror exactly what I say about players fitting a system the manager wants to play. We all have an opinion, but he is forming a team he wants to play in a certain way, with players who compliment each other.

It’s called a strategy. We didn’t have a transfer strategy under Walsh;

“Alex was one of our main targets for the window. He is a direct & skilful winger who fits exactly the profile of player I want in my model.”

Hallelujah.

Hard to convince people when we are targeting the likes of Zaha Neres Lozano and end up celebrating Iwobi as a main target. All of them miles ahead of Iwobi and will fit into our team way better than Iwobi.

We just have to wait and see at this point, but to expect him to help us break the glass ceiling is too far fetch. Decent signing yes, breakthrough no. We have enough of half decent signing with a hope they can somehow become world class, Long list of them to be honest. I’m hoping he can prove me wrong.

....so chuffed with Silva’s comment on Iwobi because they mirror exactly what I say about players fitting a system the manager wants to play. We all have an opinion, but he is forming a team he wants to play in a certain way, with players who compliment each other.

It’s called a strategy. We didn’t have a transfer strategy under Walsh, we just bought footballers;

“Alex was one of our main targets for the window. He is a direct & skilful winger who fits exactly the profile of player I want in my model.”

Hallelujah.
Completely agree @Eggs but unfortunately you missed a bit off Marco's quote ..............."I would , of course, have preferred Zaha but there we are "

Absolutely nothing wrong by the way in going for your 2nd choice .

Kind of regret saying he was a crap signing yesterday, just watched some clips and read what Arsenal fans think.

Tbh, I got him confused with the other black (ex?) striker they had who was mates with Barkley.

Only one question, why did Arsenal let him go?

Why did barca let digne go or Juventus let kean go? Or even gomes?

Completely agree @Eggs but unfortunately you missed a bit off Marco's quote ..............."I would , of course, have preferred Zaha but there we are "

Absolutely nothing wrong by the way in going for your 2nd choice .

....that’s likely to be true (Brands first choice was Zaha), but the most encouraging thing for me is that they had a type of player they wanted.

Still can’t get my head around this.

He’s no Zaha, our manager enjoys a winger who adores goals, Iwobi simply doesn’t, and by all accounts this is the weakest part of his game.

Right it is what it is. We’ve done good business, to me we’re s centre half short but we can’t go back
Iwobi will be better than Walcott so let’s look at the positives, give them all a chance and let’s start this season well

l

He’s no Zaha, our manager enjoys a winger who adores goals, Iwobi simply doesn’t, and by all accounts this is the weakest part of his game.

Not that it is a complete excuse but he was told my Emery not to be selfish on occasions.

Hard to convince people when we are targeting the likes of Zaha Neres Lozano and end up celebrating Iwobi as a main target. All of them miles ahead of Iwobi and will fit into our team way better than Iwobi.

We just have to wait and see at this point, but to expect him to help us break the glass ceiling is too far fetch. Decent signing yes, breakthrough no. We have enough of half decent signing with a hope they can somehow become world class, Long list of them to be honest. I’m hoping he can prove me wrong.

Apart from we were never after Neres or Lozano. And according to Joyce we bid £52m once for Zaha and walked away. Everything was paper talk that we all went along with.

As an Arsenal fan, I've mixed feelings on this deal. Iwobi's been a much maligned player over the past couple of seasons and some of our fans have been rejoicing at this news, but they're generally the same ones who wanted Ramsey sold for years and generally have no patience when it comes to young talent.

I think we've done well to receive a good fee for him but I think it's good business from Everton's part as well. There are definitely flaws in Iwobi's game - his finishing is inconsistent, and when he's having a bad day it does seem like nothing comes off for him - but he's a very technically gifted talent with plenty of room to grow. His end product is lacking but his link up play is superb; he's a very intelligent footballer I think in the right system, with good players around him, he can flourish.

I always got the impression that he had something of an imposter syndrome with us, and whilst on his day he didn't look out of place alongside the likes of Lacazette and Aubameyang, he would suffer from dips in confidence that he seemed to find difficult to shake. He's not as flashy as Zaha but you've got yourself a great talent with lots of potential, and I think in a new environment he can really push on and become a great player for Everton. I'd like to see him do well, if only to shut some of our own fans up.

...you see, I think this is more about the way Silva/Brands wants us to play. He’s clear, he wanted a ‘direct’ winger. Zaha fits the same criteria. We don’t have a ball carrier, a powerful runner who makes ground quickly and stretches team on the counter.

I’m not convinced Zaha is a goalscorer per se, certainly not at the level of Richarlison. Indeed, Iwobi might well get his quota. Silva/Brands bought Bernard, he hardly adores goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.