Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Zaha rests on what Palace can bring in this late in the window and Watford may be waiting to see if anyone else comes in for Doucoure as their statement is very specific that they don’t want to deal with Everton rather than the player is not for sale?
Someone on a podcast said that Watford told doucoure he can leave this year if he gave them one more year. Bit maybe that’s to a team in Europe. Who knows?

Nonsense.

Midfield we have Gbamin and Delph plus Gomes on a permanent.

Defence we have Sidibe.
Gomes we had already so no change.
Gbamin is an unknown at present. Will he adequately replace Ghana? I have no idea.
Delph and Gbamin are fighting for the same spot. I don’t see a huge change at present.

In defence we are down a cb. I’ll give you sidebe when he signed. Sidebe is cover and I don’t know much about his ability.

I think the biggest point is Gbamin and Kean have the potential to really grow and improve.

I am looking forward to being pleasantly surprised. If we get our wide/cb. We are definitely much stronger.

No that’s fine, I get that. I’m not making concrete assertions about our new signings either way until I’ve seen them play. I do however think Kean is more or less guaranteed to be a success. Here’s my red hot takes on our summer improvement or lack of:

Goalkeeper

Obviously remains the same and will do so for many years. We have stronger backup than last season however.

Right back

Assuming Sidibé is announced today, we undoubtedly have stronger backup than last season. He may even be an upgrade on Coleman, we’ll see.

Centre back

Assuming Mina stays fit we are no weaker than last season. However if Mina or Keane do get injured, we instantly become weaker. I’ll give you this one.

Left back

As per.

Centre midfield

This is the one that’s up in the air. Gomes is as you were, the toss up is between whether Gbamin is equal to or better than Gana, this will define whether we’ve improved in this position or not. Delph means we have stronger backup than last season.

Winger

As it stands exactly the same. Could skyrocket up the improvement chart if Zaha lands in L4.

Attacking midfield

As you were.

Striker

I think only an extreme pessimist could deny we’ve made a huge improvement in this area. Without even needing to see the boy Kean play, he’s one of the most highly rated youngsters in Europe and could be an absolute game changer of a signing. DCL is a better backup than Niasse or Tosun. Think this one goes in the “improved” box.

I hope you appreciated that as I had to sit down at a computer to type it!

If Mina is now ready as first choice then good, that’s what we bought him for. As you say if him or Keane get injured then we are far weaker. Last season we had 3 strong centre halves.

Stronger at full back, midfield is questionable.

Kean is great, but again if he gets injured we are back to square one with toothless DCL.

Unless we get a decent striker/ winger in we are no nearer making advances on the top 6 IMO.

If Mina is now ready as first choice then good, that’s what we bought him for. As you say if him or Keane get injured then we are far weaker. Last season we had 3 strong centre halves.

Stronger at full back, midfield is questionable.

Kean is great, but again if he gets injured we are back to square one with toothless DCL.

Unless we get a decent striker/ winger in we are no nearer making advances on the top 6 IMO.

That’s fair enough, but we aren’t weaker in any of those positions, aside for midfield if Gbamin turns out to be a turkey. Look at a team like Chelsea for example, who have lost a player who was basically their entire attacking threat. That’s what you call massively weakened.

Status
Not open for further replies.