Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I really don't think you've got anything to worry about mate. Your missus probably did what she did when she was young and now that she's matured she's happy to leave that life behind and start enjoying the things you miss out on when you're on the ale all the time. Her family won't be happy because they won't ever change and will happily live that life forever. I go for a drink very occasionally with my family and sit there thinking how can you spend most of your days in a pub full of old bores when there's a much bigger world out there. Just look after her and only worry about what you can influence and you'll be fine.

Thank you mate. I won't feel guilty for giving her a better platform and a better life, she does the same for me.

I've recently started volunteering at the Samaritans. I'm quite early into the training, but I'm starting to see how much just talking to somebody can help people who are struggling.

The number's 116 123 if anybody's finding it tough and wants to get things off their chest.

How are you finding it mate ?

It’s a selfless thing that you’re doing there and I take my hat off to you.

How are you finding it mate ?

It’s a selfless thing that you’re doing there and I take my hat off to you.
Thanks mate.

It's been eye opening to say the least. The amount of people who've been left to fend for themselves with no real means of support is quite staggering.

I think doing it is helping me on a personal level too. I felt like I was stuck in a bit of a rut, so adding something different and quite meaningful to my routine has helped with my own mental health.

Thanks mate.

It's been eye opening to say the least. The amount of people who've been left to fend for themselves with no real means of support is quite staggering.

I think doing it is helping me on a personal level too. I felt like I was stuck in a bit of a rut, so adding something different and quite meaningful to my routine has helped with my own mental health.

I’ve done voluntary work for years mate and it’s a great leveller for me.

There’s so many people out there who are in hideous positions mostly through the crappy hand that life has dealt them.

It makes you realise that you’re own problems pale into insignificance.

I’ve done voluntary work for years mate and it’s a great leveller for me.

There’s so many people out there who are in hideous positions mostly through the crappy hand that life has dealt them.

It makes you realise that you’re own problems pale into insignificance.
Correct.. no matter what type of a dark place you think you want to visit or are in...open your eyes to people who are totally in the worst space

We had the visit today. Initially they said they wouldn't prescribe any medication but after much discussion she changed her mind and has prescribed him an anti-depressant. If there's one thing I've learnt with my interactions with CAMHS it's that you have to fight and push for everything. I think if you just sat back and waited you'd be waiting for something severely bad to happen before they did anything.

Evening blues,

Thought I'd drop a quick update on my son a month on from this post. He's started his medication (low dose) and we've seen such a big improvement. From not leaving the house for nearly two months to going out for family meals, a family party, playing badminton etc etc. He's really improved and it's been really positive. We've still got a long way to go as he wants to change schools for a fresh start and we've been rejected so we now have to go through the appeals process. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it does feel like there's a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for all the support, I had some nice messages and two private messages from people having similar experiences. It really helps to know we aren't alone.

If you're going through a tough time then I encourage you to reach out and talk to someone. I've found most people to be really supportive.

Thanks for all your guy's kind words from my last post in here. It's really good to know, I'm not alone.

Recently I've been worried about my Best friend.
I've been obsessing with him a bit, but when he opens up to me he's very depressed. He's only a young lad (21) but he doesn't actually do anything at all, day to day. He sleeps most of the day, hardly eats, when he is awake he doesn't do anything but watch videos on youtube and films.

He's had previous issues with eating disorders and self harm.

He's living with his parents and is an only child, they spoil him a little and let him be.

I have tried to get him out on walks, recently I said we should go to Conwy for the day, or go see the countryside.

He just says things like 'I'm too anxious', or 'I hate the way I look'.

In the last 6 months he's cut a lot of his friends off and talks to only one or two people per week, if you don't count his mum or dad. He tells me.

He doesn't leave the house for weeks on end, and he's not been out with friends in many months.

I've suggested he should go to college in Sep, Work or even volunteer. But he's very depressed, and doesn't have any drive.

I'm a at a bit of a loss what to do to help him.

Thanks for all your guy's kind words from my last post in here. It's really good to know, I'm not alone.

Recently I've been worried about my Best friend.
I've been obsessing with him a bit, but when he opens up to me he's very depressed. He's only a young lad (21) but he doesn't actually do anything at all, day to day. He sleeps most of the day, hardly eats, when he is awake he doesn't do anything but watch videos on youtube and films.

He's had previous issues with eating disorders and self harm.

He's living with his parents and is an only child, they spoil him a little and let him be.

I have tried to get him out on walks, recently I said we should go to Conwy for the day, or go see the countryside.

He just says things like 'I'm too anxious', or 'I hate the way I look'.

In the last 6 months he's cut a lot of his friends off and talks to only one or two people per week, if you don't count his mum or dad. He tells me.

He doesn't leave the house for weeks on end, and he's not been out with friends in many months.

I've suggested he should go to college in Sep, Work or even volunteer. But he's very depressed, and doesn't have any drive.

I'm a at a bit of a loss what to do to help him.
He needs to get to the doctors by the sounds of it.. That's the first step.. The second is screen time if he's stuck infront of scenes constantly when awake that's probably another of his issues, that would make anyone anxious or depressed especially if he's conscious about how he looks spending time looking at attractive people in movies or on TV it's not doing him any favours. Maybe he'd go camping with you where he wouldn't need to see other people getting out of the house is something he needs to do. But doctor first.

He needs to get to the doctors by the sounds of it.. That's the first step.. The second is screen time if he's stuck infront of scenes constantly when awake that's probably another of his issues, that would make anyone anxious or depressed especially if he's conscious about how he looks spending time looking at attractive people in movies or on TV it's not doing him any favours. Maybe he'd go camping with you where he wouldn't need to see other people getting out of the house is something he needs to do. But doctor first.

Camping is a great idea actually, I'm not sure where we could go, but it's a good idea nevertheless.

Seeing a Dr for him is very much not in his planning, I've suggested he should see one, or go have counseling, but he's been there and done that.

He's been sectioned I think previously too, but it's something we kinda something he won't mention to me at all in depth.

He's done a month without screens before, It was something he wanted to do, but what ended up happening is he didn't speak to anyone at all for a whole month.

We only text over instant messenger you see, he has no interaction with people at all apart from parents, in real life.

When he left me without talking for a month I was genuinely worried he'd of relapsed or worse.

So when he's not on screens he's just alone, and has no human interaction. I don't want to give up on him, but everything I suggest he tries to resist.

Starting in October I am starting a Level 2 counselling concepts course, I've had my initiation letter and paid the fees. It will be 3 hour a week night classes after work for 10 weeks. After that you can move on to level 3 which is another 10 week course. After that it's level 4. Level 5 is a full-time thing where you go out into the world and deal with real people and try to help them with their real situations, real field experience.

It's truly what I want as my future career path, to be someone who helps others people to understand themselves and feel as mentally well as they can. It will be a long road to get to where I hope to get too but this is the first step. Hopefully one day I can be fully qualified and make a living for myself in the field as a professional.

For now it's about me gaining the qualifications and also going through certain life experiences that will further educate me. I'm still only 25 and there's still so much I haven't experienced yet, so much I don't know. I will need to have those crucial life experiences to be the best that I can be in the future. They'll be hard times ahead surely but I have my dream to chase and I'm willing to run through walls to catch it.

Starting in October I am starting a Level 2 counselling concepts course, I've had my initiation letter and paid the fees. It will be 3 hour a week night classes after work for 10 weeks. After that you can move on to level 3 which is another 10 week course. After that it's level 4. Level 5 is a full-time thing where you go out into the world and deal with real people and try to help them with their real situations, real field experience.

It's truly what I want as my future career path, to be someone who helps others people to understand themselves and feel as mentally well as they can. It will be a long road to get to where I hope to get too but this is the first step. Hopefully one day I can be fully qualified and make a living for myself in the field as a professional.

For now it's about me gaining the qualifications and also going through certain life experiences that will further educate me. I'm still only 25 and there's still so much I haven't experienced yet, so much I don't know. I will need to have those crucial life experiences to be the best that I can be in the future. They'll be hard times ahead surely but I have my dream to chase and I'm willing to run through walls to catch it.

That’s brilliant news mate.

Please keep everyone on here updated ;)

Don’t know if I mentioned it on here but I applied a few months back to be a Mental Health First Aider through work and wasn’t successful.

Well anyway, roll onto this morning and I’ve just overheard a senior manager that did the course say “that course was depressing”.

Kinda presuming now he was only sent on the course because of his position as that was a completely ignorant statement.