Is it time to panic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With just cause. Zouma and Gana down and only Delph in.

Any new players we do bring in won’t have much time to bed in to the system. It’s a shame because we’ve been handed a decent run of early fixtures.

As long as they have had some sort of pre season training they should adapt fairly quickly I think. I'd rather get it done before Bremen like

I'm sure that there'll end up being a late flurry of activity, but I'm disappointed by the profile of player that the club appears to be looking at.

I expected a lot more in terms of scouting outreach from Brands. I don't see how spending £100m on Wilfried Zaha and Kurt Zouma will improve the team's chances of pushing for a Champions League place.

Don't think anyone should panic but at least one of these statements must be true:
  • We have not properly planned this window as well as we ought to have.
  • Clubs are asking stupid money when we come a knocking.
  • We need to sell to buy.
  • We are waiting until the last moment to save a few weeks wages and putting the transfer fee on July's credit card statement.
  • We are held up on 1/2 players from the A/B list making a decision which is stopping us moving on to C/D options.
Now a lot of these problems we have caused ourselves by having this massively bloated squad with players we can't shift. This suggestion is going to make me about as popular as a bout of gastric flu but if we want rid of Tosun and Morgan etc. why don't we play them for half/full season?

So Morgs fills the gap left by Gana and subject to him not going completely to jelly, he will probably get some suitors during the next window. If he plays really well you can keep or sell for big money. There is no such thing as bad players (we'll forget about Sandro and Niasse here), just bad motivation and systems. I expect Silva to be able to go to Schneiderlin, say you are going to be my main man at 6 and by the end of season you will be back to your best and be in the France squad for the 2020 ECs. As per the film Airplane! when Ted gets his motivational talk to say he can land the plane, I expect Morgs to come out of Silva's office with his chest pumped and triumphant music playing in his ears.

By not playing these players we are just throwing the money down the drain and make it less likely anyone will come in with a sensible offer. It scares the crap out of me that we are demanding 5 new signings who will all come here on big wages and seeing all 5 can't go into the first eleven at the same time we'll be in the exact same situation later on.

Don't think anyone should panic but at least one of these statements must be true:
  • We are waiting until the last moment to save a few weeks wages and putting the transfer fee on July's credit card statement.
  • We are held up on 1/2 players from the A/B list making a decision which is stopping us moving on to C/D options.
Now a lot of these problems we have caused ourselves by having this massively bloated squad with players we can't shift. This suggestion is going to make me about as popular as a bout of gastric flu but if we want rid of Tosun and Morgan etc. why don't we play them for half/full season?

So Morgs fills the gap left by Gana and subject to him not going completely to jelly, he will probably get some suitors during the next window. If he plays really well you can keep or sell for big money. There is no such thing as bad players (we'll forget about Sandro and Niasse here), just bad motivation and systems. I expect Silva to be able to go to Schneiderlin, say you are going to be my main man at 6 and by the end of season you will be back to your best and be in the France squad for the 2020 ECs. As per the film Airplane! when Ted gets his motivational talk to say he can land the plane, I expect Morgs to come out of Silva's office with his chest pumped and triumphant music playing in his ears.

By not playing these players we are just throwing the money down the drain and make it less likely anyone will come in with a sensible offer. It scares the crap out of me that we are demanding 5 new signings who will all come here on big wages and seeing all 5 can't go into the first eleven at the same time we'll be in the exact same situation later on.
You have not included brinksmanship from the selling club, trying to get an auction going. I personally think that this is the most likely scenario and that deals will only be done when they realise that they aren't going to get a better offer.

Im just hopeful that we hung or are hanging on for our top, top targets, its very easy to say move on to the next.

The players we want will be the best players for that role, why should we go down the list?

We can probably assume Zaha was a top target, so maybe the failed pursuit will mean in this case we go down the list or it might mean the money "saved" by not going big on Zaha means we can go up the list on something else.

Either way Brands is certainly taking this to the wire.

Im sure * gulp* he knows what hes doing.

Hopefully a very exciting few days left.

We need at least 5 in and we could be looking at anything like 10/15+ on their way out.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

You have not included brinksmanship from the selling club, trying to get an auction going. I personally think that this is the most likely scenario and that deals will only be done when they realise that they aren't going to get a better offer.

Agreed it could have it's own category, but the brinkmanship kind of falls into a number of the other categories too. Bad planning is one by not identifying suitable options in event of a selling club/target messing us around and/or not paying the necessary price for whatever the reason to get it over the line early doors.

Worst case - targets missed and the window is a disaster.
Best case - targets arrive late in the window and we suffer another slow start to the season.

Sorry, but this is way too sensible, the people want panic, and they want it now.

Keep your lids on kids, seems like half of you forgot that koeman and big Sam bought players that nobody else really wanted and whacked them on high wages. Still reckon it’ll be a year or two before we burn the proverbial deadwood

If we get 3 in (cb, cf, dmc) and shift the candidates we are looking to shift (I’d take 50/50 sales to loans) then I’ll be happy with that. It’ll mean we’re light in wide forward & rb, but correcting the signing errors of the past whilst growing at an ffp approved rate was never going to be easy.

Always good to see the kidz have a meltdown though!

As it stands RIGHT NOW the team in considerably worse off than last year's and very very little time to get players in. And, regardless of who the additions are now, they almost certainly won't be involved for the first couple of matches, which is just criminal considering how "easy" the start of the season is..

Status
Not open for further replies.