Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s depressing isn’t it? Can’t we just go back to the good old days.

I think this is the most exciting time to be an Evertonian for 25 years plus.

I reckon by the time the first day if the season comes and Marcel’s done his magic again, like last summer, everyone will be buzzing but I’m really looking forward to it now.

The team that finished last season was excellent. Put a bit more quality into the squad, including 1 or 2 guaranteed starters and we’ll do very well.

We are in very capable hands with Marco and Marcel.

I still have no idea how this works with add ons though, look at gueye, if we sell for £30m +£10m add ons which take 3 years to get added on, where does all that come into it?
I would imagine, while having no clue, that it would go down as income on that particular period when the payment is made?
Amortisation isn’t a ‘real’ thing. It’s an accountancy tool. So if we sign someone for £20m we don’t really pay £4m for the 5 years of the contract, that’s just how it generally goes through the books.you don’t have to do it that way either, it’s a choice. If you have a good accountant and things don’t look how you want them to this way, you can use a different model to make things look better. This is why much of fans worry about FFP and the like is hugely over dramatic. It really isn’t the huge issue some try to paint it as.

Amortisation isn’t a ‘real’ thing. It’s an accountancy tool. So if we sign someone for £20m we don’t really pay £4m for the 5 years of the contract, that’s just how it generally goes through the books.you don’t have to do it that way either, it’s a choice. If you have a good accountant and things don’t look how you want them to this way, you can use a different model to make things look better. This is why much of fans worry about FFP and the like is hugely over dramatic. It really isn’t the huge issue some try to paint it as.

I think the point i was responding to was what if you ahve bonuses which are not guaranteed. So say we sign someone for £20m. Plus lets say £5m if we win the cup. We then win the cup 2 years down the line. How does that work?

I think the point i was responding to was what if you ahve bonuses which are not guaranteed. So say we sign someone for £20m. Plus lets say £5m if we win the cup. We then win the cup 2 years down the line. How does that work?
Ah sorry I thought it meant guaranteed add ins over time, rather than performance related add ons. In that case yes, they would just go down as pure profit the year they were received.

I think this is the most exciting time to be an Evertonian for 25 years plus.

I reckon by the time the first day if the season comes and Marcel’s done his magic again, like last summer, everyone will be buzzing but I’m really looking forward to it now.

The team that finished last season was excellent. Put a bit more quality into the squad, including 1 or 2 guaranteed starters and we’ll do very well.

We are in very capable hands with Marco and Marcel.

Amen to this. For the first time in our premier league existence we have enough money to make decent signings and someone who knows how to make them. We’ve never had that at any point before. Whether it’s this season or not, if we keep backing Brands and he keeps delivering like he did in the first summer window then we’ll continue to progress and will be successful.

It’s far better than scraping the money together to loan Stracqualirsi and Drenthe whilst our rivals buy the cream of Europe.

Massive week ahead for Brands.make no mistake.

I’d like to think before the window closes at a minimum we’ll have a centreback sorted, a striker, and a replacement for Gueye.

Personally though, and I know it’s an unpopular opinion, i wouldn’t be bothered if we used the centreback funds to buy a better striker or wide forward. Keane and Mina would be first choice and then we have Holgate who I believe can play at a good level then Gibson who needs opportunities to progress. If one of Keane or Mina go down early in the season then we could look at bringing someone in in January but if they stay fit we’d potentially be buying a very expensive bench warmer and saying to Holgate and Gibson that they’ll barely play.

I’d like to think before the window closes at a minimum we’ll have a centreback sorted, a striker, and a replacement for Gueye.

Personally though, and I know it’s an unpopular opinion, i wouldn’t be bothered if we used the centreback funds to buy a better striker or wide forward. Keane and Mina would be first choice and then we have Holgate who I believe can play at a good level then Gibson who needs opportunities to progress. If one of Keane or Mina go down early in the season then we could look at bringing someone in in January but if they stay fit we’d potentially be buying a very expensive bench warmer and saying to Holgate and Gibson that they’ll barely play.
Could go 3 at the back. We stonked Burnley with that team (during their massive losing strike I concede). But I agree with this. It would be strange for Zouma to move here for first team football when he wouldn't even be guaranteed. Striker must be top priority.

Amen to this. For the first time in our premier league existence we have enough money to make decent signings and someone who knows how to make them. We’ve never had that at any point before. Whether it’s this season or not, if we keep backing Brands and he keeps delivering like he did in the first summer window then we’ll continue to progress and will be successful.

It’s far better than scraping the money together to loan Stracqualirsi and Drenthe whilst our rivals buy the cream of Europe.
Drenthe was superb for us for a short period. Genuinely looked like he could have become one of the best wingers in the league. Shame he was a complete idiot.

Reckon we're waiting on selling players, before making a bid for a striker, so we know the money is in the bank.

Drenthe was superb for us for a short period. Genuinely looked like he could have become one of the best wingers in the league. Shame he was a complete idiot.

Yep but I think we’re at a completely different level now (although I expect people will disagree). I felt as if Moyes had to work miracles just to get us in and around the top 6. We massively overperformed just to even fall short as we did (although the anti Moyes brigade would never admit this and are still questioning why he didn’t sweep all before him on a negative net spend).

Now however I don’t think we’ve executed particularly well recently but have still recorded back to back 8th place finishes. Nothing to shout about of course, but if we start improving and executing a lot better in the market and on the pitch (as we started to with Brands in the window and with Silva at the end of the season) then we are in a position to challenge the top 6 in my view.

Reckon we're waiting on selling players, before making a bid for a striker, so we know the money is in the bank.

Lookman, Gueye, besic and McCarthy all linked with moves and could bring £70m in, hopefully we’ll find a taker for Tosun as well for another £10m. Couple of million for Pennington. Unsure about Schneiderlen.

Then it’ll just be mirallas, bolasie and niasse to worry about. Loan moves with us paying the majority of the wages is likely.

All of that’ll give us a decent whack to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.