2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it weird how we have fans so desperate to sell our best players.

Same way if someone comes in for Richarlison it'll be "let him go the lad deserves to be winning trophies" wtf whats the point of moving to BMD and spending loads on players if our intention is to forever be a middle of the road club?

Dont get me wrong most clubs are selling clubs but the clubs that sell and progress (Kopites, Athletico, Sevilla, Dortmund, Spurs) etc sell their players for big enough money to be able to reinvest it adequately.

We are selling a top player for £30 odd million and any replacement who wont likely be as good will cost £20-25 million - its not worth it mate.

PSG are loaded and will be getting about £90 million+ for Neymar - if they want Gana that bad give them a price that reflects his importance to us and its upto them to match it.

Palace have done the same with Zaha who is also desperate to leave to his boyhood club.

We’re selling a nigh on 30 year old for 30-40m in a position where we can buy a comparable player 5-8 years his junior (according to people who pay attention to world football) for less than we receive.

Palace already sold Zaha once before, if you recall.

I’m not desperate to sell him, but 30-40m we could get a replacement on less wages for less, which helps with ffp and we don’t have to replace them in a year or two as we most probably would for Gana and by then we’ll be lucky to get 10m for a 32 year old.

Also he played his best footy for us in the last 6 months, he’s been through patches where he’s been like a headless chicken who can’t pass a ball 5 yards.

And yeah, if someone came in with 4-5 times what we paid Richarlison when we’ve had his (probable) best years out of him I’d pack his backs and drive him to Speke airport.

Gareth Barry? Scholes? Arteta? Silva ? Makalele?

Would you say they were slow all their careers because I wouldn't. I'd say they slowed down towards the end of their careers but apart from Barry wouldn't say any of them were at the level of pirlo. Look at the difference with Barry from the speed when he first came to when he left then he ended up relagated.

None of those players were ever rapid but I wouldn't use them as a reference to being slow. Especially not arteta and Silva they've played portions of their careers on the wing. Even scholes played on the wing in certain games.

Pirlo was a amazing player but he would never of lasted in the premier league.

Is righ LouchFrandel. There is no need for us to lash loads of money on a replacement, we need to spend money on the RIGHT replacement

OMFG thank-you for saying what I think is bloody obvious, but appears many don’t see it that way.

I would sell any player in our squad for 4-5 times what we bought them for (excluding Bernard and Coleman) on the proviso we could buy someone who is likely to develop into them in 3-4 months time.

That’s a winning strategy, as long as it’s no more than two players a season.

Coulda been a God, chose to be a snail eating champions league player.

Just feels like this has been done since Jan. I’d like to see us get a deep lying midfield dictator rather than a destroyer. I just don’t buy this myth that we need this type of player or we’ll be run through. Some of the best football we played under Moyes was when injury forced us to pair Osman and Arteta in the middle. Yes over 38 games that would be too open but Ubuntu’s players in midfield who can pass, move, take the ball under pressure, dictate the tempo, they open up space all over the pitch and suddenly your wingers and forwards who looked average start getting far more opportunities in more space.

An ideal player for me would be to find another Busquets/Alonso/Motta/Fernandinho type rather than looking for a like for like destroyer replacement for Gueye. We need someone with defensive discipline, positional awareness, good passing range, and ideally a physical presence in both boxes.

Shame City bought Rodri.

Just feels like this has been done since Jan. I’d like to see us get a deep lying midfield dictator rather than a destroyer. I just don’t buy this myth that we need this type of player or we’ll be run through. Some of the best football we played under Moyes was when injury forced us to pair Osman and Arteta in the middle. Yes over 38 games that would be too open but Ubuntu’s players in midfield who can pass, move, take the ball under pressure, dictate the tempo, they open up space all over the pitch and suddenly your wingers and forwards who looked average start getting far more opportunities in more space.

An ideal player for me would be to find another Busquets/Alonso/Motta/Fernandinho type rather than looking for a like for like destroyer replacement for Gueye. We need someone with defensive discipline, positional awareness, good passing range, and ideally a physical presence in both boxes.

Shame City bought Rodri.
You don't get many out-and-out destroyers playing for the top sides now, which is why I'm still surprised by PSG's interest in Gana.

Shame City bought Rodri.

If he goes it will be interesting to see how we go, will we go for someone who will just sit and anchor or will we change the system.

My concern would be i think a centre back partnership of any of Keane, Zouma and Yerry needs a bit of protection.

Shame City bought Rodri.
I actually agree that this has to be the way we go, but that person is still going to have to cover more ground than we'd like. Schneiderlin is the player you are describing, but he still gets caught out of position and struggles to deal with quicker defenders when he has to track back or close someone down in front of the CBs. So I'd sell Schneiderlin for certain as he's not good enough.

I think we also do need a CM that can play DM and can be a true engine and eventually team up with that new #6. We have to have some tactical versatility. Delph gives us a bit of that for now.

I used Watford as the example to combat a team like Wolves. A more athletic midfield can overrun Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker.

But that's transforming our midfield. Gana's sale can't pay for that. And we still badly need a CF and more attacking options. Plus, folks are talking about getting Zouma who won't be cheap.

I actually agree that this has to be the way we go, but that person is still going to have to cover more ground than we'd like. Schneiderlin is the player you are describing, but he still gets caught out of position and struggles to deal with quicker defenders when he has to track back or close someone down in front of the CBs. So I'd sell Schneiderlin for certain as he's not good enough.

I think we also do need a CM that can play DM and can be a true engine and eventually team up with that new #6. We have to have some tactical versatility. Delph gives us a bit of that for now.

I used Watford as the example to combat a team like Wolves. A more athletic midfield can overrun Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker.

But that's transforming our midfield. Gana's sale can't pay for that. And we still badly need a CF and more attacking options. Plus, folks are talking about getting Zouma who won't be cheap.

You act like Gana has never failed to track his runner and we have never conceded a goal when he plays.

We will be fine, count the money and move on.

We will be fine...

Make-Bookmarks-29-Wood-BlueFoxEngraving.jpg

The market place was totally different from when we signed Gueye to what it is now. Even clubs in Europe are charging £20 million+ for players as soon as an English club tries signing a player.

Im not disputing there are bargains out there however the current market has made that small pool alot smaller.

If it was that easy we would have signed a £10 million replacement for Rom who scores us 20 goals a season and PSG could save themselves £20 odd million and just sign one of these players instead of Gana - 9 times out of ten thats not how it works anymore.
Delph 8 mil. Just sayin

let him go, let him go
can't hold him back anymore :bye:

There are many ways to play football.
I remember Pep said before xmas that Fernandinho is an important player when he got injured and the team slipped.
But after new year he played Gundogan instead till the end of the season.

You act like Gana has never failed to track his runner and we have never conceded a goal when he plays.

We will be fine, count the money and move on.
You act as though if he wasn’t here we wouldn’t be conceding goals a lot more often with Sigurdsson and Gomes as two of our midfield three. Or that we wouldn’t miss in my opinion our best and certainly our most important player. Like it’s no big deal. Like we haven’t seen what this team looks like when he’s out. It’s pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.