2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a player and his agent decides it is time to go then in nearly all cases the player gets their move.
Very often, we see the move delayed until the next transfer window to give time to find a replacement or not to disturb a team if it is the January window but sooner or later the move happens.

PSG will be enormously attractive to Gueye. He is guaranteed to win domestic silverware, play in the CL with a team that actually has a chance of winning, play with some of the best players in the world and on top of all that he will probably get a wage increase.

From an Everton perspective , we don't want to lose a good player, but we don't want to keep an unhappy player either and we will get a huge fee for a player that is in his very prime but is still about to turn 30 in a few months.

I think he is a big loss but I think that his departure will mean a change in how the team plays and I believe his replacement will be a very different type of player.

We need to change the system. I’ve thought it for a while. It’s too dependent on Gueye and Siggurdson. If either have a bad game the whole plan is out the window. The best teams in this league can sub in players to a system without any drop off in performance and it’s not because they have world class players on the bench. I don’t think the likes of Dier, Wanyama, Skipp, Milner, Keita, Gundogan are world class players but they slot into a system without the whole team falling apart.

We need to get to a similar stage where we can go into a game without fearing a 6-2 mauling any time Gueye isn’t playing or isn’t on top form.
It is a problem. But you’d have to drop one of Gylfi or Gomes. You’d also need two more all around midfielders. We have Gana. Delph now I guess. We’d need 2 new midfielders honestly. Both with industry, defensive awareness, but ability to push forward. Those players are expensive.

We need to change the system. I’ve thought it for a while. It’s too dependent on Gueye and Siggurdson. If either have a bad game the whole plan is out the window. The best teams in this league can sub in players to a system without any drop off in performance and it’s not because they have world class players on the bench. I don’t think the likes of Dier, Wanyama, Skipp, Milner, Keita, Gundogan are world class players but they slot into a system without the whole team falling apart.

We need to get to a similar stage where we can go into a game without fearing a 6-2 mauling any time Gueye isn’t playing or isn’t on top form.

That's fine. I don't disagree. But it takes time to do that. And given it took 6 months of last season to really find something that clicked, I don't think it's wise to rip that up just yet.

Delph's signing gives us options - Silva has said as much - and that's good. But we just have to be careful and if we do sell then I think we as fans have to kind of accept there's gonna be a fair bit of transition next season (unless we really click on with a replacement) and that means that we could miss out on the chance to catch the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea who are all going to be going through changes of their own this season.

It is a problem. But you’d have to drop one of Gylfi or Gomes. You’d also need two more all around midfielders. We have Gana. Delph now I guess. We’d need 2 new midfielders honestly. Both with industry, defensive awareness, but ability to push forward. Those players are expensive.

With Delph coming in I do think it gives us breathing room if Gana is to leave. Not that he's a replacement, but it means we can do one in, one out in terms of Gana's replacement, and still be well stocked with 4 CMs.

My point is just that if people are saying they're happy for Gana to go then I'd also say they'll need to be extra patient next season. I just think selling our best player at a time when we look so close to be able to push on (like at the end of 16-17 with Rom/Ross) isn't gonna get us anywhere.

People make a valid point about the fee for a 29-year-old. But we didn't spend big on him in the first place. It's not like we NEED to make money back on him. He's been a brilliant investment and his wages aren't huge relatively (I don't think he's in our top five earners).

I hope he stays. We need to transition to a squad with strength in depth which means VG players get subbed from the bench by VG players. All the top clubs can do that.

Quality operator and like @BlueToff think that the 4 of him, Sig, Gomes and Delph leaves us nicely stocked.

I also don't think PSG will give us the money we want for him.

Quality operator and like @BlueToff think that the 4 of him, Sig, Gomes and Delph leaves us nicely stocked.

I also don't think PSG will give us the money we want for him.

Considering PSG have brought in Herrera, and they have Paredes there too (who wasn't great admittedly last season but is a decent player), and Verratti, you have to wonder how much they'd be willing to spend.

It all depends on Neymar I imagine, and even then there's rumours of about 7,000 Barca players - one of which I'm sure would be a midfielder - getting thrown in, too.

i want us to keep Gana
He is a crucial cog in our midfield
However if we do decide to sell he will go with my best wishes providing
A we screw the oil rich state for every conceivable penny
B We buy a replacement of similar quality to play the same system or a change of tactics

He’s been great and proved a lot wrong very quickly.

Can we replace him like for like, am going with no.

Can we buy someone who will offer something different but could add more balance to the midfield? Yes.

My choice would be a midfield of Andre Gomes, Fabian Delph and Frank Kessie.
Siggy will be in our midfield next season

I wonder if some of these Walsh signing's once sold (Lookman, Onyekuru, Gana) actually bring us out in profit after the horror shows of Bolasie Tosun klaassen.

Think we are still coming up at a loss, remind me if i've missed any

Status
Not open for further replies.