Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry mate I can’t agree with most of this. Which fans haven’t taken to Richarlison? He’s practically the poster boy for the whole club now. I don’t think Mina has been poor, he just hasn’t played enough with injuries. When he has played though, in big games he’s played well.

We can all make an argument to say that if we want to be at the top we need better in every position but we need to build up to it. City bought the likes of Bridge Lescott Barry Adam Johnson Bellamy etc. before they got to a position where they could buy Fernandinho Bernardo Silva etc.
Plus, when they bought Robinho, they weren't ready for him. He was a pearl amongst relative pig sh**. We need to build up to those stellar players certainly- and I hope we get there by developing some here along the way.

No, it’s not people assuming the worst, it’s fans keeping an open mind. He’s not put a foot wrong - he’s done neither a good job, nor a bad job. He’ll be judged on his acquisitions (same as Marco will be judged on results) and upto now (granted in a relatively short space of time) he’s done just about alright.

Why does Brands get such protection from our fanbase, as if his leadership cannot be disputed? Me criticising (or not, for that matter) his activities (or lack, thereof) is not going to directly or indirectly affect his ability to do his job. He’s a fair target, just as anyone else is.

Until he’s :

A) Identifying and acquiring players that cost very little and turn out to be worldies (Michu)
B) Negotiating and closing sales for current players above market value
C) Negotiating and closing acquistions for players below their actual market value (Digne)
D) Acquiring players we should have no business signing (Neymar)

Then i’ll gladly grant him all the patience in the world. Those are the four main metrics for a successful director of Football. He has good stock, but then so did Walsh.

Good post...

Expect a similar climb down from the same posters who wrote off Keane.

Why are people so desperate to be the first to write off a player?

I don’t think anyone wrote off Keane did they? He’s another in the Pickford bracket for me. A decent enough player but won’t ever be good enough consistently for a top six team. If we sign Zouma, I’d expect him to be benched once Mina gets to full fitness.

Even though Mina has been terrible, he’s one of those with a much higher ceiling than Keane. Keane plays at 6/10 level fairly consistently but he’s only ever a D level defender, a good few brackets below the elite. Mina, like Zouma, if he displays his world cup form, could be in that bracket just below the elite.

No, it’s not people assuming the worst, it’s fans keeping an open mind. He’s not put a foot wrong - he’s done neither a good job, nor a bad job. He’ll be judged on his acquisitions (same as Marco will be judged on results) and upto now (granted in a relatively short space of time) he’s done just about alright.

Why does Brands get such protection from our fanbase, as if his leadership cannot be disputed? Me criticising (or not, for that matter) his activities (or lack, thereof) is not going to directly or indirectly affect his ability to do his job. He’s a fair target, just as anyone else is.

Until he’s :

A) Identifying and acquiring players that cost very little and turn out to be worldies (Michu)
B) Negotiating and closing sales for current players above market value
C) Negotiating and closing acquistions for players below their actual market value (Digne)
D) Acquiring players we should have no business signing (Neymar)

Then i’ll gladly grant him all the patience in the world. Those are the four main metrics for a successful director of Football. He has good stock, but then so did Walsh.

Maybe because people like to be positie about there club instead of holding a constant cloud over things.

Its something the RS do spot on, absolute mentalists, but in there eyes they cant do wrong, which creates a psoitive energy around the club.

Look how relaxed alot of people are this window, surely thats something done very well by the Brands/Silva regime, wasent to long ago we were yelling to get any old player in, it didnt matter.

Transfers are not the be all and end all of being a succesful team, look at what abit of decent coaching has done to the likes of Keane, DCL, Gueye etc.

Expect a similar climb down from the same posters who wrote off Keane.

Why are people so desperate to be the first to write off a player?
We do it far too quickly at Everton. Some players hit the ground running, and some take a while... Maybe a full season. There's been loads of top level players that had an indifferent first season at a new club, then came strong later. I don't want us to be another Chelsea, losing players like KDB, Salah and Lukaku (an extreme point I know), when we could of given them a chance. I honestly think Mina has the qualities to be a top centre half.

I don’t think anyone wrote off Keane did they? He’s another in the Pickford bracket for me. A decent enough player but won’t ever be good enough consistently for a top six team. If we sign Zouma, I’d expect him to be benched once Mina gets to full fitness.

Even though Mina has been terrible, he’s one of those with a much higher ceiling than Keane. Keane plays at 6/10 level fairly consistently but he’s only ever a D level defender, a good few brackets below the elite. Mina, like Zouma, if he displays his world cup form, could be in that bracket just below the elite.

lol lol lol

Maybe because people like to be positie about there club instead of holding a constant cloud over things.

Its something the RS do spot on, absolute mentalists, but in there eyes they cant do wrong, which creates a psoitive energy around the club.

Look how relaxed alot of people are this window, surely thats something done very well by the Brands/Silva regime, wasent to long ago we were yelling to get any old player in, it didnt matter.

Transfers are not the be all and end all of being a succesful team, look at what abit of decent coaching has done to the likes of Keane, DCL, Gueye etc.

Like I said mate, it’s not about being positive or negative about any aspect of the club. It’s purely about seeking continuous improvement in the playing squad.

I wouldn’t say fans are any more relaxed about transfers than we were last summer. If we are, then thats as much thanks to the marketing department as it is the coaching department. I think if the window closes with only what we have then we won’t have Improved this window at all.

“A bit of decent coaching” to DCL and Keane still hasn’t got them to the level required. The unfortunate and undeniable truth is that we won’t get to where we want with them starting.

I meant “wrote off” in the truest sense of the word. The negativity after his 1st season, interestingly, doesn’t seem to be there for Mina after his. Keane, in my eyes at least, has neither failed nor succeeded. He’s exactly the player we signed and hasn’t kicked on. Could still be a good squad player

I meant “wrote off” in the truest sense of the word. The negativity after his 1st season, interestingly, doesn’t seem to be there for Mina after his. Keane, in my eyes at least, has neither failed nor succeeded. He’s exactly the player we signed and hasn’t kicked on. Could still be a good squad player

Mina has played about 10 games, but there definitely is a group of individuals that have written him off.

Think Keane was much improved last season from his first personally, but that’s just me.

Trippier agreed deal with Atletico, could see some movement now for us if we really are after Arias. Lookman potentially going, Bruce at Newcastle, Lukaku seemingly on the way out, Griezmann and De Ligt transfers done, it could all start moving in this transfer window now.

Status
Not open for further replies.