Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking off a mix of potential top level younger players and solid experienced players from Man City & Barcelona (& looking at Juventus too).

What a terrible terrible policy. Dreadful.

Woeful.

We should be picking the best players from teams like Leicester and Newcastle.

Dripping with sarcasm.

The strategy of picking up players (some might say rejects) from top teams isn’t without it’s pitfalls. You shouldn’t sign a player simply because they’ve been deemed worthy of playing for a top team. Delph was never an important 1st team player for City (at least not in the position he’ll play for us) he may yet become a great signing but I can’t see him being a player to truly push us on.

Also, In fairness, Liverpool signed 1st team players from Hull, Southampton (x4), Newcastle, Sunderland and Stoke. Even Spurs signed players from Southampton, Burnley, Swansea and Newcastle.

It’s not about where you find them, it’s about identifying the right players.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s precisely my point. If the yardstick is set on previous Everton transfer dealings, then of course he’s done well.

To bridge the gap to the teams ahead of us, we need to expect more than just what’s gone before. As fans, we need to compare ourselves to the competition, not just what we’ve known. And to be honest, with the money we spent last summer, we should demand better.

Digne is the only one that can truly be called a hit. Richarlison to a lesser extent had a good season and is potentially a very good player but it says a lot that the fans still haven’t taken to him. I think we all know he’s got a Neymar strop in him eventually, he’ll break our hearts.

If you want to rewrite history and say he got 6/6 right, that’s fine but we all know that Mina has largely been poor. He could storm it this year but based purely on what we’ve seen, he’s looking bad business. Zouma did well in patches and was our best CB last year but he was never going to be our player. Bernard’s a decent squad player for where we aspire to be, but no more. Doesn’t contribute anywhere near enough in goals/assists for a starting attacker and shouldn’t be a starter. The same could probably be said of Gomes who disappeared far too often for me.

Some will disagree on that point and thats fine, as you said (to each their own). I just think if we’re really trying to push up the league, we’ll have to do a lot better than Gomes and Delph.

We need more Digne’s and Richarlisons. We also need them faster, because there’s only so long you’ll hang on to players of that quality when you’re not improving substantially / competing at the highest level.

Sorry mate I can’t agree with most of this. Which fans haven’t taken to Richarlison? He’s practically the poster boy for the whole club now. I don’t think Mina has been poor, he just hasn’t played enough with injuries. When he has played though, in big games he’s played well.

We can all make an argument to say that if we want to be at the top we need better in every position but we need to build up to it. City bought the likes of Bridge Lescott Barry Adam Johnson Bellamy etc. before they got to a position where they could buy Fernandinho Bernardo Silva etc.

Bit disappointed with the flack and instant dismissal of Mina, by quite a few. In my opinion, as it was his first year in English football, blighted by injury and couldn't speak the language, I'm massively looking forward to give him the benefit of the doubt this year.... Then jump all over his back if he's crap

I can't agree with that mate. Even in his final season he was one of our most consistent and reliable players, even when the team was collapsing around him. When he left, and we put Schneiderlin into the midfield, we collapsed that season. It's not a coincidence.

Schneiderlin didn’t arrive until Koeman’s January window and in Koeman’s first season we finished strongly so I’m not sure the decline that came afterwards can be tied to him.

I think Barry was consistent and reliable but just not at the standard needed. He was solid on the ball but in terms of playing at the pace and intensity required of top premier league midfields he just wasn’t at it anymore.

It was never more noticeable for me than at Koeman’s goodison derby. In the first half Gueye and McCarthy played and we matched Liverpool all over the park even shading the game. Klopp called it wild football and was irritated at half time. Then McCarthy got injured and Barry came on and we didn’t see the ball again, we couldn’t get near them and they just started to dominate and we sat deeper and deeper.

Like I said he was a very good player in his peak but there’s not many 35 year olds commanding premier league midfields effectively. Fernandinho is about the only one and Barry even at his peak was nowhere near him but especially wasn’t a decade later.

We can all make an argument to say that if we want to be at the top we need better in every position but we need to build up to it.

Then our expectations need to build up at the same pace. If we want to break the top six this year, we need better (Digne / Richarlison quality) in at least 3 positions THIS summer.

If we don’t, then we’ll need to align our expectations to be the same as what we all had last summer (and seem to have had for donkeys years)..... best of the rest (7th) and a run in the cups.

Also, City won the league and more with those players you mentioned, they were top players.

Bit disappointed with the flack and instant dismissal of Mina, by quite a few. In my opinion, as it was his first year in English football, blighted by injury and couldn't speak the language, I'm massively looking forward to give him the benefit of the doubt this year.... Then jump all over his back if he's crap
Expect a similar climb down from the same posters who wrote off Keane.

Why are people so desperate to be the first to write off a player?

The strategy of picking up players (some might say rejects) from top teams isn’t without it’s pitfalls. You shouldn’t sign a player simply because they’ve been deemed worthy of playing for a top team. Delph was never an important 1st team player for City (at least not in the position he’ll play for us) he may yet become a great signing but I can’t see him being a player to truly push us on.

Also, In fairness, Liverpool signed 1st team players from Hull, Southampton (x4), Newcastle, Sunderland and Stoke. Even Spurs signed players from Southampton, Burnley, Swansea and Newcastle.

It’s not about where you find them, it’s about identifying the right players.

I agree to some extent, and of course we’re both cherry picking to support our viewpoints. But, just for example, Salah & Coutinho we’re talented cast offs from Chelsea and Inter... you could argue they’re the players who have made them tick since Freddie mercury left (obviously he supports your argument so I won’t mention him... whoops).

Spurs have signed from those teams, but the best 2 players (IMO) are a homegrown and a pick up from MK dons. But for every Ali there is about 50 Galloways.

Works both ways though, I said as much in his thread the other day. Loads of people are also saying he's our best centre half (including Zouma) and he'll make a massive difference etc. That quite simply cannot be based on his performances for us, because the absolute best thing you could say about him last year was that he was OK. There was nothing at all in his performances that made me think he was a world beater. That's not to say he won't be, just that I won't either slate him or say he's great until I've seen a bit more of him.

This is what I don’t get , saying we were better with DLC runniny the channels and our good run of form. Yes ... that’s correct , we did look better when he started playing there and we won some good games. He wasn’t the only change tho, richy moved to RW and which meant Walcott wasn’t missing sitters, taking shots from passing and crossing positions and having a shocking relationship with Coleman , Bernard could actually play and that brought out the beat in Digne so although DLC playing did have a part to play there were 3-4 changes that happened at the same time. Now imagine we had a striker that runs, which is pretty easy to find , I mean that’s the kind of striker we have had for us for 90% of the time since 1992 and try to imagine this striker can actually carry a goal threat and score. I’m not saying 20 league goals a season I mean like 15 ish even 13,

Of course it wasn't the only factor. But it was one of the factors.

I'm not even saying it's very difficult to find a player who can do what DCL does and add goals on top. But clearly we want a very particular type and aren't just going for anybody.

I think Keane will get injured this season and we won’t go back to him. Mina will one that role in the team this year.

I agree to some extent, and of course we’re both cherry picking to support our viewpoints. But, just for example, Salah & Coutinho we’re talented cast offs from Chelsea and Inter... you could argue they’re the players who have made them tick since Freddie mercury left (obviously he supports your argument so I won’t mention him... whoops).

Spurs have signed from those teams, but the best 2 players (IMO) are a homegrown and a pick up from MK dons. But for every Ali there is about 50 Galloways.

Of course, there’s plenty of anomalies on both sides of that particular argument mate. I was just making the point that no one strategy, either recruiting cast offs from top teams or recruiting quality from lower teams, is without it’s pitfalls.

You have to hunt the “best fit” irrespective of whether they are at Madrid or Middlesbrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.