• Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Jimmy said.

Not really sure 6 months should make a difference unless his contract is running towards it's last year, can't see why we'd accept a lower bid when he performed better in the second half of the season than when they originally came knocking in the first half of the season.

Ah, I thought he was coming down to his last year. Must have mixed him up with someone else

If all true we are at 30 million after signing three players, Lossel, Gomes and Delph.

Vlasic out and we cleared about 10 million, whatever we are getting and saving on loan wages and loan fees.

Williams and Jags, wages saved, hopefully some of the loan lads as well.

Two maybe three more, Zouma, right winger, forward.

We need to be shipping more out permanently.

Who said they were terrible signings?.

Can’t have it both ways though. We need to view loan signings as potentially stealing a year of a player we normally wouldn’t have. We had a great window last summer and then sealed two loan signings on the last day. Now though even if we turn those deals permanent people will see it as no progress being made. If however we hadn’t got those loans over the line and this summer we dropped 60 mill on Zouma and Gomes everyone would be excited about us doing good business.

Everton have a habit of loaning a player and then convincing them to join permanently so I don’t really see what the complaint is about returning to the days where we just buy players we already had on loan. It’s worked well for us and is a good way to do business. It’s only because fans have already counted them as part of the squad that people get frustrated if we ‘only’ sign up the players we had on loan. They should be viewed instead as we basically got Gomes a year earlier than we should have.

Can’t have it both ways though. We need to view loan signings as potentially stealing a year of a player we normally wouldn’t have. We had a great window last summer and then sealed two loan signings on the last day. Now though even if we turn those deals permanent people will see it as no progress being made. If however we hadn’t got those loans over the line and this summer we dropped 60 mill on Zouma and Gomes everyone would be excited about us doing good business.

Everton have a habit of loaning a player and then convincing them to join permanently so I don’t really see what the complaint is about returning to the days where we just buy players we already had on loan. It’s worked well for us and is a good way to do business. It’s only because fans have already counted them as part of the squad that people get frustrated if we ‘only’ sign up the players we had on loan. They should be viewed instead as we basically got Gomes a year earlier than we should have.
It's not about the money though, it's about the quality of the squad. If we only signed players permanently that we already had, then the squad would be no further on and it would be difficult to see us doing much better than we did last year. It's the theoretical improvements to the squad that excite fans and make them think we might be ready to push on. Luckily i'm pretty confident that we will be signing other players aswell, because otherwise it would definitely be underwhelming.

I have always liked the loan model, I think it's one aspect of the transfer window that we do well and suits us and as you say our record is there for persuading players we want to stay on "permanently" to do so.

I think we have credibility with this strategy with players, agents, and clubs. Even if we can't turn a loan into a permanent, I'd still rather we had a player to improve us over a year than not at all.

With our budget and lack of quality in some areas, I really hope we can build on last seasons example in getting 2-3 players in on contracts, and then supplement the squad with another one or two to bridge the gap for both quantity and quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.