Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was more about Delph wanting to go somewhere he would be guaranteed first team footy mate, he isn’t going to be guaranteed that with us if Gana is still here.
What about he didn’t want to uproot his family and went somewhere where he would get more gametime than at city
City just signed 2 players that play in his positions

My point was more about Delph wanting to go somewhere he would be guaranteed first team footy mate, he isn’t going to be guaranteed that with us if Gana is still here.

Maybe after winning the league and other trophy’s he actually has faith in his own abilities and thinks he can get in a team that finished 8th. Delph will get plenty of games for us

The main concern I have is his motivation , not saying I have heard or read anything about him having a bad attitude etc but I’m always nervous when signing a player from a top side and also when a player is 30. Players are hungry when on the way up like trying to break into a team when they’re young, then trying to get a good contract, trying to get to a “big club” and I’m always worried when they leave that club and are signing what is most likely their last big contract. Not all players are like that and Barry is a classic example but you have players like butt, O’Shea etc and even Sanchez that when they leave the big club or sign their last big contract , that just don’t perform and just go through the motions to get paid. Walcott is an example of this but hopefully Delph still has a desire to complete

I think Delph will come in feeling he has something to prove. He’s been a fringe player in a great team with the most professional standards in the premier league. He will have as big an influence as Milner over the park if not a greater impact. Good safe business as far as I’m concerned.

Something and nothing perhaps...

Digne, Mina and Gomes all came from Barca

Bernard is also a Barca 'type' player

Delph has played under Pep, Mr Barca...

I think were possibly in for Malcom from Barca.

Perhaps its a case of going for players who can seamlessly integrate into a style of play where the Barca team model is beneficial to the team?

Also perhaps the mentality gained from the tactical awareness needed to play that type of football?

Im rambling a bit but just something i was pondering today...

The main concern I have is his motivation , not saying I have heard or read anything about him having a bad attitude etc but I’m always nervous when signing a player from a top side and also when a player is 30. Players are hungry when on the way up like trying to break into a team when they’re young, then trying to get a good contract, trying to get to a “big club” and I’m always worried when they leave that club and are signing what is most likely their last big contract. Not all players are like that and Barry is a classic example but you have players like butt, O’Shea etc and even Sanchez that when they leave the big club or sign their last big contract , that just don’t perform and just go through the motions to get paid. Walcott is an example of this but hopefully Delph still has a desire to complete

He could probably have seen out his career on City’s bench. Instead he wanted to play football. Seems hungry to me. Will probably want to get into the national team for the euros too.

This is something I said some months ago. Perhaps it would explain why I think this is a good move.

When we were going through a two month bad spell in the league, who did we have to change things ? Silva had practically half a squad to use considering how many weren't good enough or on loan at the time granted the loaners wouldn't have made a huge difference but it limited Silva all the same . Drop certain players and there was no adequate back up.

So more players who are available the better we can perform. Fresh legs, new ideas to the team, be a little less predictable to plan against?

Delph isn't going to win us the league single handedly sure, but a back up option for gueye gomes and whoever else we play in the middle, what's not to like for 8 million?

He won't play every week but then for us to have a good season, not everyone will. And most importantly , another point I've raised in the past, options. If a player is out of form, we have options rather than having to hope they come into form again.

Again, if he's back up, then fine

If he's meant to be a regular starter, then I'm less fine with it

8 million seems like good business for a player who will contribute, where he's going to slot in is the big question. Always good to have a player who's capable in a few positions. 8 million there's worse players going for twice that these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.