Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think a DOF should never sign any player over the age of 25 ever, even if a manager wants him and he’s dead cheap?

I have said the exception should be given if the player have the quality to walk straight into the first 11. Right now it doesn’t seem like it.

Because if it was as simple as having 11 capable players able to play first team football all season then we wouldn’t bother.

If it is meant we need some back up then go for promising youth, with cheaper wages and you don’t need to offer a four year contract which is near 100k and ending well into mid 30s. It’s his job to hunt for some good promising footballer.

If it is meant we need some back up then go for promising youth, with cheaper wages and you don’t need to offer a four year contract which is near 100k and ending well into mid 30s. It’s his job to hunt for some good promising footballer.

It’s not that simple at all. Silva has said he wants a leader, someone with experience, are you suggesting a squad full of 19 year olds from South America would be able to handle a season of Premier League football? With our fans howling and baying for blood when we concede an equaliser in the first half against Norwich in November?

I think that you can look at this sign in in two ways.

First off the way I believe it is is that we are doing a kind of security signing in that I think that Idrissa Gueye will be leaving and we will bring in a replacement. Maybe that guy from Inter Milan I can't think of his name right now but whoever comes in I would have soon will be young and not experienced in the Premier League So for them to hit the ground running we will be taking a chance.

Signing Fabian Delph gives us an experienced player who can go straight into the side while the new player adapts. The same that we have done with a goalkeeper we could have easily put Virginia as a backup but if we had a long-term injury to Pickford it could have completely mucked up a season so we got the guy from Huddersfield and send Virginia out on loan

Or there's option to which I'm not too convinced with is that we need the money from Idrissa Gueye to bye replacements in other areas like striker right wing and central defence

It’s not that simple at all. Silva has said he wants a leader, someone with experience, are you suggesting a squad full of 19 year olds from South America would be able to handle a season of Premier League football? With our fans howling and baying for blood when we concede an equaliser in the first half against Norwich in November?

That’s your suggestion, not mine.

You don’t get the point do you?
We have a somewhat fix 11 at this point. The next level of progression is to sign someone capable of breaking into this team.

Any form of backup should be focussing on youth since we have a bench full of experience players that isn’t going to make a big difference, Schneidelin Mccarthy to name a few.

We cannot go back to the same practice of offering 29 years old on a massive wage as a backup.

We need to ship out many of our unwanted midfielders before we really fancy on splurging high wage on half decent backup.

You don’t address any of such points and keep coming out with silly perceptions

Let's face it, if we signed him after some 'sexy' signings, nobody would have an issue.

As said, exactly the same reaction to Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye. That position of the pitch isn't necessarily glamorous but we need depth. Delph is an excellent 'water carrier' - a consistent player who makes teams tick.

Tom Davies hasn't developed to be the player he threatened to be and James McCarthy is somehow still at the club - he's a first team option replacement for those two and without a doubt a massive step up on them in quality.

Let's face it, if we signed him after some 'sexy' signings, nobody would have an issue.

As said, exactly the same reaction to Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye. That position of the pitch isn't necessarily glamorous but we need depth. Delph is an excellent 'water carrier' - a consistent player who makes teams tick.

Tom Davies hasn't developed to be the player he threatened to be and James McCarthy is somehow still at the club - he's a first team option replacement for those two and without a doubt a massive step up on them in quality.
I reckon Delph will be a direct replacement for McCarthy,I believe we're after £10 million for him too, good deal IMHO.

Man City fans can't wait to get rid. They say he is too injury and mistake prone. Worst player in their squad last season. I don't recall seeing much of him last season, not sure how often he played. Different standards at City compared to here, just seems a bit of a rash signing. What's the difference between him and say Besic or McCarthy?

He's reached 29 years and played in the best team I think I've ever seen as well a season the national side and I still don't really know what he contributes?

Not saying he's a bad player, he could be a useful member of the squad etc... it's a difficult signing to get excited about, but that's ok, the purpose isn't to get the fans excited, it's to build the best squad for the manager that resources allow.

but meh is the word that comes to mind, however unfairly?

You're getting a good player in Delph, a bargain for the money. I would have kept him as he's a versatile player and good quality. It's a good move for Delph and a good move for you. I wish him well.
Good of you to come on here with this info but we can't have the agendas upset here by listening to someone who has actually watched the guy play.

Status
Not open for further replies.