Confirmed Signing Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same qualities that Pep Guardiola saw when he started him in 11 Premier League games and 6 Champions League games for the current champions of the division we finished 8th in

Doesn't really answer the question - I think he is only slightly better than average as a central midfielder and can be relied upon to do a steady job with better players around him, but I think we need more pace and creativity and I'm not convinced he can supply that.

Still, I will be more than happy if he signs and proves me wrong.

Could this have been a late move due to the Sosa deal collapsing?
That’s what I think too. They wanted cover for midfield, they identified a long term option but couldn’t get him, there aren’t an infinite amount of quality young midfielders in our price range or who would come here as a squad option, so they’ve decided to go for a short term solution instead and maybe revisit it next year.

One thing that it does do is give us options in the match day squad. As we’ve had literally nobody else to cover left back we’ve basically been forced to put baines on the bench just on the off chance something happens to Digne. That’s not ideal really, and this would mean we don’t need to do it, and can give ourselves more attacking options on the bench instead.

Let’s put a sensible and old head on this

£8m for a guy who’s 29, plays for the twice champions and a near regular for his country

Come on guys and girls. Efc are damned if we buy and damned if we dont

I think it’s a good move. He’s fast and a battler. He can play both full backs wide and central midfield.
Give the lad a chance. I’m sure some would moan if we signed Messi.

I’ve read we’re getting £5m for Besic

Let’s be happy. It’s an improvement to the squad and a guy that’ll fit in well here

Up the toffees

I think he's a good player. Neat and tidy, good positional sense, solid character, experience, used to pressure and has leadership qualities. All for 8m, which if rumours are true, will predominantly come from the Besic money.

People crying because we haven't signed Malcom or Neres etc. A quality striker and wide player is going to take time. Especially if you are dealing with difficult clubs like Barca who insist on buy backs and clauses.

So now we have Davies, Schneiderlin, McCarthy, Besic and Delph vying for a position on the bench or to fill in when of Gomes or Gueye isn't available?

I don't mind the Delph deal one bit as he's better than all of them apart from Gomes and Gueye, but we surely must get rid of three of the others asap.

I'd send Davies out on loan, and get rid of McCarthy and Besic, to be honest.

In a years time, say goodbye to Schneiderlin and make a decision as to whether we keep or sell Davies, then get a better backup in on lower wages than Schneiderlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.