2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll happen all the time this summer. Theylre not 'crap' in any case. Again, the low bar set for Brands to jump is ludicrous. Treat Brands like all the other's employed to sign and sell players. FFS, we got £9M for Cleverley didn't we? £7M for Jelavic!!...and that was back a few seasons before the prices got crazy.
You are comparing these guys to Luke Garbutt, correct?

To be fair to Dave though, this is part of Brands' job at the end of the day

I'm completely sympathetic to Brands on this issue because he's inherited an absolute ship show with some of these players and shifting them is going to be really difficult. However, the fact remains that it is part of his remit to get these players off the books and he hasn't really done the best job in regards it getting these players gone on perm deals

I don't think we should hammer Brands for it, but we shouldn't give him a free pass either. There's a middle ground here I feel
It'll happen all the time this summer. Theylre not 'crap' in any case. Again, the low bar set for Brands to jump is ludicrous. Treat Brands like all the other's employed to sign and sell players. FFS, we got £9M for Cleverley didn't we? £7M for Jelavic!!...and that was back a few seasons before the prices got crazy.
These players are absolute GUTTER tier level of players on HIGH wages who WON'T take a paycut because they're on such HIGH wages at there age bracket/quality because this Club is/was ran by IDIOTS who handed stuff out willy nilly.
It's not Brands fault that we've failed to get rid the likes of Sandro/Martina/Miralls all the absolute garbage on a permanent deal even if it is his job. It's an absolute miracle that we managed to get rid of a striker who hasn't scored in 2 years on a loan and people still aren't happy. It's like Sanchez at United they are stuck with him because he is on absolute stupid amounts of money and can't get rid because no one can afford it like our ghastly players.

These players are absolute GUTTER tier level of players on HIGH wages who WON'T take a paycut because they're on such HIGH wages at there age bracket/quality because this Club is/was ran by IDIOTS who handed stuff out willy nilly.
It's not Brands fault that we've failed to get rid the likes of Sandro/Martina/Miralls all the absolute garbage on a permanent deal even if it is his job. It's an absolute miracle that we managed to get rid of a striker who hasn't scored in 2 years on a loan and people still aren't happy. It's like Sanchez at United they are stuck with him because he is on absolute stupid amounts of money and can't get rid because no one can

afford it like our ghastly players.

Nailed on for me....

It's not Brands fault that we've failed to get rid the likes of Sandro/Martina/Miralls all the absolute garbage on a permanent deal even if it is his job. It's an absolute miracle that we managed to get rid of a striker who hasn't scored in 2 years on a loan and people still aren't happy. It's like Sanchez at United they are stuck with him because he is on absolute stupid amounts of money and can't get rid because no one can afford it like our ghastly players.

I'm not disputing how crap the hand he's bedn dealt is mate, but at the same time its his job to sell these players

Again, I'm not saying hammer him or anything like that, but I think it's fair to suggest that he perhaps should be doing a bit better as well (I recognise that Dave is just slaughtering him like)

I'm not disputing how crap the hand he's bedn dealt is mate, but at the same time its his job to sell these players

Again, I'm not saying hammer him or anything like that, but I think it's fair to suggest that he perhaps should be doing a bit better as well (I recognise that Dave is just slaughtering him like)
Of course it's his job but what can he do if teams don't want to buy them? It's already been said that Mirallas has been offered to teams in Belgium and no one wants anything to do with it.
I'm curious what you would consider a successful window in terms of outs for you to think Brands has done a good job.
I'm not gushing over him but I find it incredibly harsh that people hold it against him in failing to sell these wasters.

I trust that you are joking.
Let me give you a horse racing analogy to illustrate the folly of your view.
If a major owner of well bred racehorses employs a racing manager (the equivalent of a DoF). His job involves the sale / disposal of many of the horses. If some of them are not very good they may be able to be sold , but those that are absolutely useless command no fee and have to be disposed of.
The racing manager is not criticised for this. This is where we are now as a club thanks to the abysmal performance of El Fraudo and Koeman / Walsh.
You cannot make other clubs want to buy useless articles on inflated wages. I think that you know that !
Utter tosh.

#heresalwaysanexcuse

To be fair to Dave though, this is part of Brands' job at the end of the day

I'm completely sympathetic to Brands on this issue because he's inherited an absolute ship show with some of these players and shifting them is going to be really difficult. However, the fact remains that it is part of his remit to get these players off the books and he hasn't really done the best job in regards it getting these players gone on perm deals

I don't think we should hammer Brands for it, but we shouldn't give him a free pass either. There's a middle ground here I feel
Exactly.

I trust that you are joking.
Let me give you a horse racing analogy to illustrate the folly of your view.
If a major owner of well bred racehorses employs a racing manager (the equivalent of a DoF). His job involves the sale / disposal of many of the horses. If some of them are not very good they may be able to be sold , but those that are absolutely useless command no fee and have to be disposed of.
The racing manager is not criticised for this. This is where we are now as a club thanks to the abysmal performance of El Fraudo and Koeman / Walsh.
You cannot make other clubs want to buy useless articles on inflated wages. I think that you know that !

I'm not sure we can take them out the back and shoot them before selling them for dog food...

It's been proven many times on this thread that it's a caricature to depict the situation this way. They are not "Gutter Level" whatever that is; they are not all on £80K+ pw.

FFS, are people that desperate for a 'hero' that they come up with claptrap like that?

Of course it's his job but what can he do if teams don't want to buy them? It's already been said that Mirallas has been offered to teams in Belgium and no one wants anything to do with it.
I'm curious what you would consider a successful window in terms of outs for you to think Brands has done a good job.
I'm not gushing over him but I find it incredibly harsh that people hold it against him in failing to sell these wasters.

I'm not holding it against him

I think you should weigh up the positives and the negatives of what Brands has done and if you do that then he's more than in credit if you ask me

However, he shouldn't get a free pass on this aspect of his job either

to me, it's fine to say that "Overall Marcel Brands has done a good job so far, but he needs to do better when it comes to shifting the dead wood"

Again, I totally get that his detractors aren't doing that like, so I get why people are defending him, but some are going OTT in the other direction and treating him like an infallible demigod

Like I've said already, there can be a middle ground here I think

Last edited:
I'm comparing them to all those out on loan.

Please dont shift the goalposts.

Mirallas and Stek have both refused moves as they're not willing to take the drop in wages.

Sandro the same.

Mirallas was off to Leige, Stek to Austria, Sandro on a permanent to valadollid.

Brands made the deals and there were fees involved in all of them, but each player turned down the transfers because they don't want to take the pay cut.

Point your finger at the fella's who created the mess, not the one trying to clean it up.

Mirallas and Stek have both refused moves as they're not willing to take the drop in wages.

Sandro the same.

Mirallas was off to Leige, Stek to Austria, Sandro on a permanent to valadollid.

Brands made the deals and there were fees involved in all of them, but each player turned down the transfers because they don't want to take the pay cut.

Point your finger at the fella's who created the mess, not the one trying to clean it up.
Oh thanks for all the info and details. I should just accept them as solid should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.