2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
We knocked back a 25 million pound bid for a player worth double that, but it looks like a mere 30 million will do the trick, and we will sell our best player once again.

The players named had their moves substantially delayed, and in the case of De Gea outright denied, and with Leicester keeping hold of Vardy and Maguire. Alerderweirld was denied a move to United last summer as well.

Oh well, I guess those that want to pretend that selling our best players is some novel tactic created by Marcel Brands will continue to do so, and that Evertons performance will much stay the same as it has for the last 20 years.
The point is that we are selling our best player...again. And that it will set us back... again. And that we will win nothing and finish mid table... again.

Dress it up however you want, tell yourself it's an inevitability. Or that it makes sense because he is about to turn 30, just before we replace him with Delph who is also about to turn 30.

Whatever you do to try and make yourself feel better about it, it's going to set us back, and all this talk about capitalising on the deterioration of Arsenal and United etc will be for nothing.

We will be competing with Wolves, and hoping for a good cup run!
Because this is a message board forum where people exchange opinions. This is a thread on Idrissa Gueye, and it's being heavily rumoured that we will sell him. I've stated my opinion that it will have the same effect as selling all of our other best players in recent years. Keeping us in the same mid table bracket with Wolves and West Ham, who we take so much delight in laughing at. Ha ha ha.

But if Brands is up for it, that's okay with me.
He stepped it up massively after PSGs interest in January. If we deny him his dream move for a second time we get completely disinterested Gueye who is an average defensive midfielder with limited passing range.
Agree mate. Quality 2nd half of the season last season and I think we may have a gentleman's agreement that we would sell if a certain bid came in.

30 years old, chance to walk the league and play CL... fair play to him if he gets his dream move and we get top dollar.

Personally anything at 30m or over is good business for us and a great move for him
He is when he’s motivated and on form. He’s also been present in midfields when we’ve had the absolute run around from dross teams. He was ever present in the debacle of 17/18. I’m not saying it was all his fault, of course not, I just don’t buy this view that he’s completely irreplaceable and one of the top defensive midfielders. I’ve seen him be very inconsistent for 3 seasons now apart from the last few months since PSG coincidentally expressed interest and we turned his move down.

I just don’t see a domesday scenario if we sell him.
We massively overrate players which is why despite having a top class defensive midfielder, the best creative central mid, and the most effective number 10 in the league (apparently), we finished 8th.

I stand by that comment, Silva has improved his game.

Gueye can be very good, I’m not disputing that, but he can also be average. Over his 3 seasons with us he’s varied between the two being part of some very poor performances and some very good ones. I really don’t see what’s controversial about that. There’s no factual basis to an argument that he’s been outstanding since he joined us. It’s just not true.

Without being argumentative in this thread...

I cant see why ANYONE would want to keep Gana if they trusted Marcel Brands and Marco Silva ?

Looking at the signings last season and with a 1st team player to replace im pretty confident we will bring in a far superior player to fit the new management direction and style of play.

Every poster seems to rate Gana (as do i) but he has been an incredibly limited player with the ball since we signed him and (like others) only really hit the top level since the 17 day break.

If posters trusted the new management team then they would be confident in us bringing in far superior players (as we have done so far)...

So i assume that those who wouldnt want Gana sold (if we choose to) dont trust the management to effectively replace him?

For me, id sell any of our players as long as Silva/Brands were in agreement...because i think they can bring in better.

I cant see why ANYONE would want to keep Gana if they trusted Marcel Brands and Marco Silva ?

Looking at the signings last season and with a 1st team player to replace im pretty confident we will bring in a far superior player to fit the new management direction and style of play.

Every poster seems to rate Gana (as do i) but he has been an incredibly limited player with the ball since we signed him and (like others) only really hit the top level since the 17 day break.

If posters trusted the new management team then they would be confident in us bringing in far superior players (as we have done so far)...

So i assume that those who wouldnt want Gana sold (if we choose to) dont trust the management to effectively replace him?

For me, id sell any of our players as long as Silva/Brands were in agreement...because i think they can bring in better.
No, I don't trust the market or our pull as a club to bear a player better.

No, I don't trust the market or our pull as a club to bear a player better.

Would you have said the same last summer when we landed Digne, Bernard, Richarlison and Mina ?

What exactly does 'better' mean? Better NOW or far better in a season or two?

Id rather sign two players who Brands thinks will be better in a season or two.

These two games are why. The other 3 games he didn't play were against City so who cares that we got beat that happens and Huddersfield both times which we also drew one of. Counterattacks went through us impossibly easy without him.

Would you have said the same last summer when we landed Digne, Bernard, Richarlison and Mina ?

What exactly does 'better' mean? Better NOW or far better in a season or two?

Id rather sign two players who Brands thinks will be better in a season or two.

We can sign those players without moving Gana.

The issue isn't signing good players, Brands will indeed do that. It's improving the team and not taking a step back that isn't necessary.

These two games are why. The other 3 games he didn't play were against City so who cares that we got beat that happens and Huddersfield both times which we also drew one of. Counterattacks went through us impossibly easy without him.

That simply shows the squad depth quality isnt there.

As i posted earlier, if Gana wasnt playing but Casemiro / Fernandinho was then what?

Its not as if Gana will be out and we wont sign replacements.

We can sign those players without moving Gana.

The issue isn't signing good players, Brands will indeed do that. It's improving the team and not taking a step back that isn't necessary.

So, lets say that Gana went for £35mil and we replaced him with 2 players for £50mil.

Youre saying we can sign those 2 players for 50mil without selling Gana.

No chance.

As i posted earlier, if Gana wasnt playing but Casemiro / Fernandinho was then what?

So, lets say that Gana went for £35mil and we replaced him with 2 players for £50mil.

No chance.
This honestly makes no sense to me. I don't understand what point you are trying to make at all. If Gana doesn't play currently Davies or Schneiderlin do. If we sell Gana and sign say Sangare and he doesn't play we arent as good and Davies or Schneiderlin are still backup.

So selling an automatic first XI player to sign a replacement and a u23 prospect isn't a massive increase in depth and we would still be screwed if the first XI replacement was out. I also doubt he would be as good as Gueye to begin with. To me the most positive way for selling Gueye to play out is signing someone who can be 75% of him now and better in 2-3 years. Which torpedoes this season before it starts.

Would like to keep him, but if he goes you take 30mil plus for a 29yo. Just hope we don’t have to pay over the odds for Doucoure cos of Silva’s love fest, we could get an equal or better from abroad for half what he’d cost

I'm not really sure if we will miss him greatly or not at all.

He's a good player with amazing tackling and defensive stats. He's also been in our central midfield in numerous games where we've been dominated and he's struggling to pass forward.

Overall, I think we'd be fine. I think the skillset of a defensive midfield clogger is easier to replace.

No chance.
You said whoever they'd acquire would both be better than Gana in a year, not me. But yeah, I'd bring in Sangare for like 25M and someone younger and more developmental. The guys I listed wouldn't be much more than 10M. That's 25M Sangare + 10M Sosa + 20M for Gomes.

But we are going to blow that away in sales and have plenty left over for a CB, CF, RW, RB if we are smart with a net spend of around 75M and a much lower wage bill.

Just thinking about sales...

> Young guy sales - We sold Vlasic for 15M, Lookmans gonna go for 22M, Onyenkuru for 20M+. That's 50M right there.
> Last year contract guy sales - even if we dumped them for nothing - McCarthy / Niasse / Mirallas / Martina / Garbutt / Tarashaj we'd save probably 13M in salary alone and we'll probably get 15M for them.
> DM sales - you sell Besic / Scheniderlin, who you don't need anymore, for say 10M, plus the 7M you are saving in salary.

Suddenly you are at 75M in sales and stripped 20M in salary plus whatever Onyenkuru / Lookman / Vlasic were making - maybe 5M.

I know it's not that easy, it's not Football Manager, but I really think a lot of this type of thing is going to happen.

I'm not really sure if we will miss him greatly or not at all.

He's a good player with amazing tackling and defensive stats. He's also been in our central midfield in numerous games where we've been dominated and he's struggling to pass forward.

Overall, I think we'd be fine. I think the skillset of a defensive midfield clogger is easier to replace.
Again, I think you guys really need to look a bit more closely as his passing, it's much better than he's given credit for. Leads the team in forwards passes, much better at creating chances than you may think, gets the ball into the final third quite a bit, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.