Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, our defending was pretty darn good most of the year. We gave up fewer goals than Arsenal and Man U, but we did not score enough goals. We were top 5 in the league in shots against, and our open play defending went from the worst in the entire league to pretty darn good. We gave up a lot of set piece goals, but that's certainly curable with the proper tactics as we saw in the last month or so.

While I still think our defending in the center of the park is short of the mark, the greater issue for Everton is scoring goals.
Agree but this whole equation changes if Gueye leaves or misses significant time with injury. We can't play anything like how we did last year if he isn't closing off attack after attack more or less on his own. But you're right we need to probably score 15 or so more goals than last year while conceding a similar amount to make a run at top 4. So that is what needs to be addressed more than anything. Zouma or another CB is important too but I'd feel better with a new striker and only Keane and Mina than getting Zouma and DCL being the only striker.

Agree but this whole equation changes if Gueye leaves or misses significant time with injury. We can't play anything like how we did last year if he isn't closing off attack after attack more or less on his own. But you're right we need to probably score 15 or so more goals than last year while conceding a similar amount to make a run at top 4. So that is what needs to be addressed more than anything. Zouma or another CB is important too but I'd feel better with a new striker and only Keane and Mina than getting Zouma and DCL being the only striker.
Fair. We were fairly lucky with Gana most of last season. We have no alternative. That needs to happen. Obviously, I'd like an upgrade over what we currently have to play WITH Gana, if for no reason other than giving Silva some tactical flexibility, but ultimately we need to score more goals. Have a better CF and some attacking options off the bench would be nice.

no-one is paying 15 mil for Walcott mate

I deffo wouldn’t but I reckon someone like villa might. That midfielder of theirs is apparently 50m and that targget from saints is 17m ? Zaha will cost 50m so maybe not 15 but reckon we could get well over 10m

Fair. We were fairly lucky with Gana most of last season. We have no alternative. That needs to happen. Obviously, I'd like an upgrade over what we currently have to play WITH Gana, if for no reason other than giving Silva some tactical flexibility, but ultimately we need to score more goals. Have a better CF and some attacking options off the bench would be nice.
It's actually scary how much we have grown to rely on him without most people even noticing. If we didn't have such pressing immediate needs at ST, CB, RB and on the wings I would really say push to sign someone who can begin to replace him. But honestly I'd rather risk it and try to improve elsewhere for now.

Mate we finished 8th even with that amazing run of results you mention. If you’re happy with 8th then great, the gap we need to close even to reach 6th is massive and requires us to score more goals haveing a striker that can’t score is a handicap. The easiest way to increase our goals and hopefully wins is by adding another attacking player that scores Ie a decent striker

Well our good run coincided with him starting whereas our poor form before New Year was when he wasn’t in the team so...

As long as we win who cares who is up front.

It's actually scary how much we have grown to rely on him without most people even noticing. If we didn't have such pressing immediate needs at ST, CB, RB and on the wings I would really say push to sign someone who can begin to replace him. But honestly I'd rather risk it and try to improve elsewhere for now.
I fully believe and stand by my statements that the “reliance” on Gana to do most of the teams defending is purely psychological. Defending is not a one man task it’s a team effort and the fact of Gana’s defensive stats speaks much more towards how little the rest of the team are doing defensively.

Coach team defending, when to press/when to drop back, who to contain, where to be more aggressive and the need for a defensive work horse like Gana becomes null and void. We are so dependent on him to play and not miss games because there is no alternative and that’s not how a team should play.

I don’t like hearing the crap that it lets Gomes play his game, he is a cm he needs to be able to play both sides of the ball and not be given the opportunity to be such a one dimensional player. If he gets that part of his game down to become a deep lying playmaker or builds on his stamina to be more of a box to box player and he will be one of the best at his position. We’d finally be able to get away from the Gana Siggy model too which makes us predictable defending and going forward.

......Tuesday’s Toffee transfer columns are a bit busier, here’s a round-up of what’s being said this morning;

- Star report Galatasaray are close to announcing Henry Onyekuru’s stay at the club after agreeing personal terms with the winger. The article suggests they have offered Everton £1m for a season long loan and are awaiting a response from the Toffees. Meanwhile, Posta say Galatasaray are also interested in a loan deal for Juventus striker, Moise Kean, but face competition from Everton for the 19 year olds signature.

- According to 4th Official, Valencia forward, Rodrigo Moreno, is keen on returning to England and Everton are one of a number of clubs on alert. £30m could be enough to land the 28 year old who scored 25 goals in 51 games but flopped during a loan spell at Bolton in 2010/11.

- The Liverpool Echo say Everton’s 23 year old defender, Brendan Galloway, is expected to be re-United with Toffees former assistant manager, Graeme Jones, and join Luton Town on a free transfer this week.

- Yacine Brahimi is a free agent after leaving Porto and A Bola report the 29 year old striker is on the verge of joining Arsenal after being linked to Everton and Wolves.

- Sport Witness suggest Lille want £25m for forward, Rafael Leao, this summer. The 20 year old is apparently on Everton’s shortlist, although Valencia see themselves as front runners.

- Lazio are interested in Everton’s Turkish striker, Cenk Tosun, should Felipe Caicedo leave this summer say Corriere dello Sport.

- The Liverpool Echo report attacker Che Adams has joined Southampton from Birmingham despite interest from Everton in the 22 year old.

- The Echo also say 20 year old Everton midfielder, Jack Kiersey, has joined Walsall, whilst young Toffee’s goalkeeper, Joe Hilton has signed a 2 year deal with Blackburn Rovers.

- According to AS, Malcom is expected to be part of Barcelona’s summer overhaul and Everton could re-ignite their interest in the 22 year old Brazilian forward.

- Goal continue to report Everton will have to pay £30m to secure defender, Kurt Zouma, whilst Sky say Frank Lampard could complete his move to the Chelsea manager post today.

- Algameen Dagblad suggest Ajax are yet to receive an offer for winger David Neres this summer and the Brazilian could remain at the club.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.