Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from Stones, none of them have proven good enough for the top end of the premier league yet. Stones was effectively a first team buy by Moyes as well.

The academy has done well with the likes of Osman Rooney Barkley etc. who have gone onto have good careers at the top of the premier league but for all the money we’ve pumped into it we’ve arguably had no better return than Liverpool who did nothing with there’s and have Carragher Gerrard and now Alexander Arnold out of it, roughly the same return we’ve had in that time period. If you consider that before this they also produced Fowler and Owen then it starts to even swing in their favour slightly. Chelsea get derided for their academy yet produced one of the best defenders of his generation out of it. City have piled billions into there’s and still produced no one of note.

We might sell our academy players to better teams and in general they’ve had better careers than their Liverpool counterparts but it still seems to be that natural talent will trump any coaching and it still seems to be distributed pretty evenly between both clubs even though we’re chucking money at it. The success of the academy seems to be more down to who can find and acquire the next Gerrard or Rooney rather than creating lots of first team Everton players through great coaching. Davies Dowell Kenny etc. we’re supposed to be a bit of a golden generation but as much as I like them all it’s clear that it would be very surprising if any of them went on to star for CL level teams. Isn’t that the standard we want them to be at? Otherwise we’re just running a profit making scheme of finding kids for free to later populate the championship.

The problem is the gap between world class and championship level at 16-18 is so small. With the exception of Rooney who was a cut above all players at 16, most of the others it was much closer. Gerrard got badly exposed when he was 18/19 on his debut against Ginola for example. It's hard and not everyone takes the next step up.

In some ways we have been unlucky, not many of our lads from age 17/18 have taken a Trent Alexander Arnold style jump over the next 2-3 years. I remember watching Arnold and Kane play for them against Walsh and Davies in an under 18's game, Everton won about 6 nil and in all honesty could have won by double that and still had plenty to spare. He looked a million miles behind that level. Maybe it's good fortune, or luck, or a change of position but I do wonder if there is something more structural that holds some of them back.

Either way the reality is we will increasingly be looking for the exceptional player. Moyes got some stick for doing it at the end of his career, basically unless you were exceptional he took no interest. However for all the right words that have been spoken and talk of progression from 18-23 we have not really brought through lots and were probably never going to.

I really like Carroll and Hunt in the 18's currently, but the jump gets bigger each time.

Yes I think that is true. We also have to be realistic about fees brought on. 2 million doesn't sound a lot but it will likely go a long way to paying for the entirety of the academy from ages 8 to 18. You will also get clauses in the deal which could bring more in going forward.

If we can replicate such income from say Connolly, Williams (joe) & Banningime thats the academy paid for over the next 2-3 years. If clauses kick in maybe the next 4-5 years.

Was thinking the same thing

Dowell £6mil
Robinson £2mil
Vlasic £14mil

= Gomes

If we sell / loan players we make fees / save wages and every little helps.

I think Mina is underrated to be honest and a fair bit quicker than people make out. He played very well again against Argentina the other night and Chelsea/Liverpool got no change out of him last season.

It's clear to me they want someone to read the game next to Keane. Athleticism and power is a nice bonus, but not essential for someone who can sweep in behind and read the game. Llorente fills that brief.

I think Llorente seems to be an 'intelligent' centre back. Mina i think will be quality too.

I think Llorente would be good with Mina but i really think we need someone like a Zouma. Id go big for Konate.

Was thinking the same thing

Dowell £6mil
Robinson £2mil
Vlasic £14mil

= Gomes

If we sell / loan players we make fees / save wages and every little helps.

When you throw in the likely sell on fees attached it will be significantly greater than Gomes too. I suspect it will be around 20% for Vlasic, which given what I think he would go for if he can develop a little more back to a European (western European market) will see us net close to 20 for him, which is in and around what we will pay for Gomes.

Maybe. So long as he doesn't end up at Brighton and score 15 goals next season with his value quadrupled in the process.

You are probably right. But it's still too early to right him off at 21.

All I'm saying mate is that we should be getting the best we can in transfer fees for our better academy players, of which he is one. Some on here would give them away for nothing, but then be the first to moan about it if they turn out to actually be quite good.
Writing Robinson off would be dumb and I don't see the point in selling him for 2 million. If that's all we can get then send him on loan again. But currently he is absolute miles from the first team.

Is English not your first language? A number of errors in your post, you dont seem to have grasped the article at all.

If its too challenging for you, watch the games :)

Please enlighten me where I went wrong in quoting the article word for word and summarizing the many points that clearly put out there that he isn’t ready for a move to Everton and not worth the price tag you are stating is fair for him? Maybe you need to quit if you can’t keep up.

And I have watched all of Ajax’s Champions League run minus the group stage where I missed 1 game against Benfica, 1 against Bayern, and chose not to watch the AEK games. To be completely honest too the article says that besides his dribbling (which if it doesn’t work makes him useless in the game), his defensive contributions are his best attributes and from the games against Juve and Spurs he was the last to get back even being beat by Tadic.

Ziyech ran so much up and down the flank that I thought he was going to collapse after the last Juve game but actually looked like Neres was the one gassed the whole time and barely stepped into the defending 3rd. He would be back in his own defensive corner winning the ball back then be 70 yards down the field setting up a chance on goal not even 10 seconds later. Neres mean while would be standing isolated near half getting the ball in a 1v3 situation and lose it the majority of the time.

Now since I don’t want to do anymore length play-by-plays lets just take my word for it that I’ve seen him.

Status
Not open for further replies.