2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've quoted you twice, this one and one to say that Scottish football is awful which is an indisputable fact so I'm barely obsessed and I gave myself away in the banned posters thread a few days ago. Obsession is more like the weird fixation you have on crap young players that are not even nearly good enough. See Kennedy, Pennington, Duffy etc.

If you don't like my opinion that young players should have a chance then you can very easily stick me on ignore mate. You won't have to deal with my offensive opinions then

I think Baines is possibly the best left back in my lifetime as an Everton fan.
Going back to the 70's.

Thing is, Digne could be better.

Pleased LB has another year, but hopefully not on the pitch too much.

His legs went 3 seasons ago, only suitable now as a non forward going left back.
Was never the same player after distin left

I think Baines is possibly the best left back in my lifetime as an Everton fan.
Going back to the 70's.

Thing is, Digne could be better.

Pleased LB has another year, but hopefully not on the pitch too much.

Got a lot of time for Baines and I think Digne had a cracking season

Hinchcliffe will always be "my" left back though, and I don't get why so many are acting like he wasn't one of our best LB's in the Premier League era

He was a great player and played for both club and country. He also had possibly the best set piece delivery of any left back we've had. His corners were incredibly accurate and he was also dangerous from free kicks too. He also didn't go off the boil like Baines did with his corners

Baines may have been the more skilled technician of the two, but I think Hinchcliffe had the all round better game. Just my opinion though. Part of me thinks that Hinchcliffe doesn't get remembered the way he should because of the way he left, but he and Howard never really saw eye to eye so it was only going to go one way when he came back for his third stint

I think I've quoted you twice, this one and one to say that Scottish football is awful which is an indisputable fact so I'm barely obsessed and I gave myself away in the banned posters thread a few days ago. Obsession is more like the weird fixation you have on crap young players that are not even nearly good enough. See Kennedy, Pennington, Duffy etc.

Who is Kennedy? The fella who was at Newcastle?

Got a lot of time for Baines and I think Digne had a cracking season

Hinchcliffe will always be "my" left back though, and I don't get why so many are acting like he wasn't any good

He was a great player and played for both club and country. He also had possibly the best set piece delivery of any left back we've had. His corners were incredibly accurate and he was also dangerous from free kicks too. He also didn't go off the boil like Baines did with his corners

Baines may have been the more skilled technician of the two, but I think Hinchcliffe had the all round better game. Just my opinion though. Part of me thinks that Hinchcliffe doesn't get remembered the way he should because of the way he left, but he and Howard never really saw eye to eye so it was only going to go one way when he came back for his third stint

Andy Hinchcliffe was a great signing for us at the time. City fans were gutted.
Think he was voted 'Best Left Foot' in a season with us. One of those unofficial accolades from fans.

His move to Shef Weds finished him off though. We may have got the best years out of him.
Just my own view is that Baines has done it for us over a longer period of time.

Hinchliffe/Ferguson though.

Who is Kennedy? The fella who was at Newcastle?

Not really the thread for it, but Matty Kennedy was a young winger from Kilmarnock that never really got much of a chance in the senior setup and I used to say that I would like him to get more of a chance. This clearly deeply offended Mr. Archer, so much so that he's still got to cry arse about it nearly 5 years later lol

Andy Hinchcliffe was a great signing for us at the time. City fans were gutted.
Think he was voted 'Best Left Foot' in a season with us. One of those unofficial accolades from fans.

His move to Shef Weds finished him off though. We may have got the best years out of him.
Just my own view is that Baines has done it for us over a much longer period of time.

Hinchliffe/Ferguson though.

Hinchcliffe to Rideout too

That Dogs of War team wouldn't have been what it was without Hincher's incredible set pieces

Not really the thread for it, but Matty Kennedy was a young winger from Kilmarnock that never really got much of a chance in the senior setup and I used to say that I would like him to get more of a chance. This clearly deeply offended Mr. Archer, so much so that he's still got to cry arse about it nearly 5 years later lol

Ah yeah remember him now. Only vaguely mind you.

What a random player to bring up.

Ah yeah remember him now. Only vaguely mind you.

What a random player to bring up.

Well apparently it still sticks in his craw for some reason lol

The funny thing is that I bet there were people who backed a young Leighton Baines and got pelters for it as well. Basically with a young player I think you should support them as much as possible, because you never know whether they'll come good or not. If you assume they never will right from the off, as some do, then it can kind of become a self fulfilling prophecy

I wonder what the oldest Baines thread on here is? I bet you'll find people in there slating him saying he isn't good enough and will never make it

EDIT - And indeed, there's a thread from 2008 where some people are saying Nuno Valente should play instead of him

The funny thing is that I bet there were people who backed a young Leighton Baines and got pelters for it as well. Basically with a young player I think you should support them as much as possible, because you never know whether they'll come good or not. If you assume they never will right from the off, as some do, then it can kind of become a self fulfilling prophecy

I wonder what the oldest Baines thread on here is? I bet you'll find people in there slating him saying he isn't good enough and will never make it

EDIT - And indeed, there's a thread from 2008 where some people are saying Nuno Valente should play instead of him

I think it's a two way Street. Players need a chance of course but then in professional sport, they need to take it.

I think we're quite good at giving opportunities.

With baines, I think he's the right call as back up because I'm yet to see anything so far from Robinson. He doesn't look ready and will probably be heading on loan again.

I go the other way. Play the percentages. Call them poo from the start and 9 times out of 10 you'll be right. The odd one who proves good, just wait til they leave and everyone says they were poo whether its true or not, so you're back in fashion and can vault yourself smugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.