Steve Walsh - with the benefit of hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez - Sacked for being crap by us -> Belgium job
Koeman - Sacked for being crap by us -> Netherlands job
Walsh - Sacked for being crap by us -> Man Utd job?

This does not make sense to me.

Pure rumours though, also it can swing the other way, he wanted to spend big money on the likes of kone at Sunderland and the big lad up top at Cardiff who was utter pony. The mans a fraud

Completely forgot about him chucking cash at Lamina Kone. We also wanted to go up to 40 mill for Giroud (decent player but not in our static team), get Arnautovic to play wide, and also spend 30 mill plus on Sissoko. Thank god we didn’t get some of them over the line!

Martinez - Sacked for being crap by us -> Belgium job
Koeman - Sacked for being crap by us -> Netherlands job
Walsh - Sacked for being crap by us -> Man Utd job?

This does not make sense to me.

International football is a career graveyard now. Where failed managers go to turn their careers around or when they can’t be arsed with top level management any more and fancy most of the year on the golf course. Belgium couldn’t afford a top manager and no club would touch Koeman.

Him and Koeman both turned there noses up at Robertson and Maguire whilst at Hull.... he’s had some successes Gueye Pickford Sigurdsson (if he cost like £15m less )but his failures lumbered us with the most unbalanced Everton squad ever assembled in premier league history Vlasic Sigurdsson Rooney and Klassen all signed within 3 months all play one position

In posting about Onyekuru in another thread, I got to thinking that with 12 months behind us since we parted ways with Steve Walsh, I wonder if his success (or lack thereof) as Director of Football here is worth reconsidering.

We know, from what has been said since, that Walsh's job (unlike Brands') was solely focused around the recruitment of players. So to judge him, you'd focus solely on that. In Walsh's time here, we signed the following players... (taken from TransferLeague)

Season 17/18
Davy Klaassen
£23,600,000​
Jordan Pickford
£25,000,000​
Nathangelo Markelo
undisclosed​
Michael Keane
£25,000,000​
Sandro
£5,200,000​
Henry Onyekuru
£7,000,000​
Wayne Rooney
Free​
Josh Bowler
£1,500,000​
Lewis Gibson
£6,000,000​
Nikola Vlašić
£10,000,000​
Boris Mathis
Free​
Cuco Martina
Free​
Gylfi Sigurdsson
£45,000,000​
Dennis Adeniran
undisclosed​
Theo Walcott
£20,000,000​
Cenk Tosun
£27,000,000​
Season 16/17
Maarten Stekelenburg
£1,000,000​
Idrissa Gueye
£7,100,000​
Ashley Williams
£12,000,000​
Yannick Bolasie
£25,000,000​
Ademola Lookman
£7,500,000​
Morgan Schneiderlin
£24,000,000​

There are still some unmitigated disasters in that list. Klaassen (who we took a big hit on), Bolasie, Williams and Sandro all stand out. I'd also argue that Rooney, Walcott, Tosun and Schnederlin didn't give us value for money, although they weren't necessarily in the "disaster" category.

But, on the flip side, Idrissa Gueye was one of the best bits of business we have done in recent years. Keane and Pickford have proven to be worth the kind of money we spent on them. Sigurdsson, whilst overpriced, has proven to be a good addition. And then when you look at the younger prospects we invested in under Walsh - the likes of Lookman, Vlasic and Gibson, you start to see some real value.

I don't think you'll ever be able to argue that Walsh was a success, but I'm beginning to think he maybe wasn't quite the utter disaster I thought he was a year ago. In fact I think that Koeman was possibly the more destructive constituent part of the whole affair.

Anyway, that wasted a few minutes...

Out of all 22 players only 6 remain part of the picture.

The rest were sold or will be.

A 27% success rate in any walk of life is spectacularly bad.

Still can't get over him spending 28 mil on bolasie though, you've got thousands of players out there and an open cheque book and you chose him as you're first statement signing

I could see some logic behind the principle of the approach. Martinez had left us a team of grandads and lads. It was old men and kids, nothing in between, a completely unbalanced squad. So Koeman mentioned getting more players in their prime age in. Think we also wanted to copy City who went about getting into the top 6 by weakening their prem rivals first (Milner, Barry, Lescott, Bridge, Johnson, Adebayor, Nasri) before they went for the likes of Aguero Silva etc.

We just completely botched the execution of it. Selected the wrong players then massively overpaid for them. Bolasie Schneiderlin Siggurdson Williams should have been the spine we built on. Prem proven all at their peaks. Instead one got crocked, Schneiderlin and Williams thought it was a lads holiday, and Siggurdson got shunted out on the wing surrounded by plodding midfielders and fat strikers.

I dont think there was ever any serious working partnership with Walsh and Koeman. The latter came in like a wrecking ball determined to do it his way. The massive fees paid for tat was down to Koeman becuase he was "in a hurry" and wasn't concerned about bringing in young talent or unheard of talent.

Walsh's record of signings at Leicester needs no spin, and he also signed good players for Everton like Lookman and Gueye.

Ok, he is no DoF, but he deserves no stick for being here at the same time that Koeman was. The expensive flops were Koeman's mistakes - the vast majority of them. I notice the Echo are spinning that line again today of a Walsh-inspired fiasco. Typical of that clueless bunch of hacks.

I dont think there was ever any serious working partnership with Walsh and Koeman. The latter came in like a wrecking ball determined to do it his way. The massive fees paid for tat was down to Koeman becuase he was "in a hurry" and wasn't concerned about bringing in young talent or unheard of talent.

Walsh's record of signings at Leicester needs no spin, and he also signed good players for Everton like Lookman and Gueye.

Ok, he is no DoF, but he deserves no stick for being here at the same time that Koeman was. The expensive flops were Koeman's mistakes - the vast majority of them. I notice the Echo are spinning that line again today of a Walsh-inspired fiasco. Typical of that clueless bunch of hacks.
Where he was part of a four man scouting set up, in his last season when he was on his own he signed some utter crap for them. The fellers living of a one season stroke of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.