Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

That's all great stuff but what I personally saw was an Ajax team that played much better when Van de Beek moved forward. The games against Juve and Madrid he was very much a number 10. Again I don't know that he cant play deeper but I'd rather we got someone like Sangare for instance who is 100% a deeper lying player. We don't really need to spend a ton on someone who might be best where Gylfi already plays.
I agree he was better in the CL as a pressuring CAM averaging near 3 interceptions, 1 tackles, and 5.2 recoveries per game. But I saw him playing as the pressuring CM really not a CAM which allowed Schone and Frenkie to dictate the game from deeper but also doing a lot of he defensive work load for them too.

He was an animal during the CL in all honesty. Beyond fit covering on average 10.8 km (just under 7 miles) per game.

Also all 9 appearances as CAM were in the Champions League where ten Hag used his energy and restlessness to initiate the high press. (the staple of the Ajax Champions League run)
I gotcha. I watch the games. He was pushed up high most of the time, I don't care where he started. Again, good going forward, clever with the ball, works hard, too slow. But he doesn't hold the ball, he doesn't dribble, he doesn't push the ball upfield like Andre Gomes or certainly a true box to box player like Doucoure. He RARELY touches the ball, because he usually roams around like another attacking player. He gets in dangerous positions and is good with the ball when he gets it. So half the people here thinks Sigurdsson hides because he doesn't sit on the ball as a playmaker. Van De Beek averaged FEWER passes per game than Gylfi does.

So how on earth could a central midfield player who is supposed to be a box to box player only make 25 passes a game?

Look, he's not a bad player at all, he could get better, but he's a poor fit for the PL IMO and absolutely not what we need. And I don't fault him for his style of play - frankly, if De Jong was on my team, I'd let him own the ball all game, too. Hakim Ziyech? Let him come back for the ball and boss the game OF COURSE. But he's certainly not a DM and I don't think he could play as a CM/DM in a Silva midfield. He'd be a good backup for Sigurdsson, but we already have Siggy who is better. If we need a backup for Siggy or someone to play deeper, we'd sit Siggy and play Gomes in front of Gana/Schneiderlin or whoever else we get in to play CM/DM.

Not throwing shade his way because he’s done well for us but so was Bernard. He was linked to Man U Arsenal and Chelsea then after the World Cup he was left at Shaktar for 4 years virtually forgotten until we signed him on a free.

He wasnt forgotten though, he was linked to lots of clubs the entire time he was in Ukraine and Shahktar kept refusing bids. Then he decided to sit out his contract and turned down others to join us.

I think you should give up your analysis of Brazilian internationals lol

De Ligt is considered the top of the Ajax youngsters and he will probably go for somewhere between £70-80m, De Jong went for £65m? i reckon Van de Beek would be a bit less. I don't see Neres anywhere at those values, more £40-50m, im not too worried about these stories as they did seem to start via some jarg twitter thing a few days back.

100%

I agree he was better in the CL as a pressuring CAM averaging near 3 interceptions, 1 tackles, and 5.2 recoveries per game. But I saw him playing as the pressuring CM really not a CAM which allowed Schone and Frenkie to dictate the game from deeper but also doing a lot of he defensive work load for them too.

He was an animal during the CL in all honesty. Beyond fit covering on average 10.8 km (just under 7 miles) per game.
I gotcha. I watch the games. He was pushed up high most of the time, I don't care where he started. Again, good going forward, clever with the ball, works hard, too slow. But he doesn't hold the ball, he doesn't dribble, he doesn't push the ball upfield like Andre Gomes or certainly a true box to box player like Doucoure. He RARELY touches the ball, because he usually roams around like another attacking player. He gets in dangerous positions and is good with the ball when he gets it. So half the people here thinks Sigurdsson hides because he doesn't sit on the ball as a playmaker. Van De Beek averaged FEWER passes per game than Gylfi does.

So how on earth could a central midfield player who is supposed to be a box to box player only make 25 passes a game?

Look, he's not a bad player at all, he could get better, but he's a poor fit for the PL IMO and absolutely not what we need. And I don't fault him for his style of play - frankly, if De Jong was on my team, I'd let him own the ball all game, too. Hakim Ziyech? Let him come back for the ball and boss the game OF COURSE. But he's certainly not a DM and I don't think he could play as a CM/DM in a Silva midfield. He'd be a good backup for Sigurdsson, but we already have Siggy who is better. If we need a backup for Siggy or someone to play deeper, we'd sit Siggy and play Gomes in front of Gana/Schneiderlin or whoever else we get in to play CM/DM.

For the specifics of the role Sigurdsson is FAR better than him.

As a box to box player neither compare to having a monster in the centre..

Yeah he worked in the Ajax system because of players like Ziyech and de Jong. In our team we already kind of have our share of hard working, harass the defense into mistakes types with guys like Bernard, DCL and even to some extent Gylfi and Richarlison. What we need is the quality players to take advantage of what those guys are doing.

Also Ziyech isn't a midfielder obviously but the guy does win the ball back a good deal considering it isn't a main point of his game. I really am all in on him I think he's brilliant and would shine anywhere he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.