Old Everton Pictures

Mr reliable pure class John Hurst -

John Hurst and Brian Labone (left) of Everton in action against Liverpool during their Division One match at Goodison Park, Liverpool on 6th December 1969.- in a - 3-0 defeat for the blues - we got reveng with a 2-0 win that season away at the pit - and became League Champions.....

Apr. 26th, 1975 - Chelsea vs Everton: Photo shows John Hurst the Everton wing-half jumps between two Chelsea forwards Ian Hutchinson (No.10 and Teddy Maybank (No.9), look on right, is Everton Full-Back Mike Bernard in a whitish away kit and a 1-1 draw -

...bit surprised at Fairclough. Perhaps, John Bailey as well from my era. Decent lads both of them. Loads of really good ones failed to come through, even from the ones who really wanted to be players. I’m sure that’s the same in any era.
John came from the four squares, an area around Soho Street and St. Anne Street, he was a genuine lad, had no ego, coming from the area he was born in, he’d have been put down very quickly if he had gone above himself, but he liked a bit of banter, gave it out and took it back in equal measures. Born genuine, like all of his family, and stayed genuine.

I remember reading an Everton book(maybe Ratcliffes) were it mentioned a player,though not by name,who they said had everything,a superb player,but once they moved from schoolboys to signing the 1st professional contract, that the coaches who had been matey and joking started being a lot stricter and the lad couldnt take the criticism so packed in,ended up making a sort of career in non league,found it to be a sad and odd tale
And you have other kids like Stevie McMahon who signed schoolboy forms for Everton at a young age, never missed a training session, hail rain or snow, never got a lot of encouragement, but persevered and was eventually given his chance by Gordon Lee in the first game of the season at Sunderland, took it with both hands and never looked back, he left Everton for personal reasons, never got on with Howard Kendall, and made it to the top of the game with Liverpool and England. Stevie was given a lot of stick after he left Everton and some more when he joined Liverpool, all I can say is there is two sides to every story.

John came from the four squares, an area around Soho Street and St. Anne Street, he was a genuine lad, had no ego, coming from the area he was born in, he’d have been put down very quickly if he had gone above himself, but he liked a bit of banter, gave it out and took it back in equal measures. Born genuine, like all of his family, and stayed genuine.

...I played in a Liverpool Boys trial with John Bailey. I crossed a ball in from the right which bounced and sat up, John headed it in (very similar to Jimmy Greenhoff’s goal in a semi final at Goodison). It was all very serious, but such was his enthusiasm he wildly celebrated the goal. It was so funny.

As you say, he lived around Soho St, I lived in Everton so we got the 46 bus home together from Penny Lane. It was clear he so much wanted to get in that squad, but didn’t so I was genuinely chuffed when he came through at Blackburn. Top lad.