Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

there are lots of different variants of meds , ive had to try out several, and seem to have dialled in on the right ones now.

thing is, these meds take at least 4 weeks to kick in, yes, there are a few side effects, but overall you will benefit greatly, you just have to overcome the stigma of having to take them .. i think that's the biggest obstacle .. but believe me you will be much better on them.

every variant will have side effects, ive had dizzy spells and lethargy, but you learn how to cope with it, and I believe the symptoms have gotten a lot better the more ive taken them, unless I just don't notice the side effects now.

thing is, if your feeling this bad, then it cant hurt to try them. ive been there, I refused to take them to start with and it ended up getting very serious with me.

ive overcome the stigma that im having to take these meds now, and I openly talk about it to family and friends , I couldn't give a sh1te about what anyone thinks, its about me getting my head right and living a good life instead of being stuck in a horrible dark hole.
Yeah. I guess I'm going have to overcome the side effects if I want to have any chance of feeling better. It just seems like a very long road for me right now and it puts me off but I'll try and make an appointment sometime this week and see how I can cope with it. I'll be honest and say that I'm not really expecting me to stick to it but I will give it a good go. Thank you for your response, I'm glad to see someone who has went through it and has made it work somehow, it gives me hope.

Yeah. I guess I'm going have to overcome the side effects if I want to have any chance of feeling better. It just seems like a very long road for me right now and it puts me off but I'll try and make an appointment sometime this week and see how I can cope with it. I'll be honest and say that I'm not really expecting me to stick to it but I will give it a good go. Thank you for your response, I'm glad to see someone who has went through it and has made it work somehow, it gives me hope.

I think you'll find they will be of great help.

I went from sertraline to citalopram... and they were very good.

I have no insight to offer on meds but if I may trot out an old cliche:

Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re right.

Don’t be so quick to write yourself off, mate. I’ve read lots of stories in this thread that demonstrate huge resilience and strength from people that I’m sure felt just like you at one stage.

I really hope it all goes well for you and, as always, you know where this thread is if needed.

I have no insight to offer on meds but if I may trot out an old cliche:

Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re right.

Don’t be so quick to write yourself off, mate. I’ve read lots of stories in this thread that demonstrate huge resilience and strength from people that I’m sure felt just like you at one stage.

I really hope it all goes well for you and, as always, you know where this thread is if needed.

I feel exactly as he did , and ive turned full circle in 6 months ...

First time in over 10 years I've posted in here.

My cousin hung himself early hours of this morning, no warning signs, happy chap on the outside with a good job and seemingly no troubles. I'm absolutely heartbroken.

If anybody feel like they can't cope, please please PLEASE talk to somebody - no problems are insurmountable.
So sorry to hear that. Hugs x

Thanks for your help on this, I really appreciate your comments.
I've made contact with our local NHS Trust regards self referral so can only wait now to see what happens.

im on sertraline at the minute mate, 100mg seems to be the right dose for me as 50mg worked but if i missed a day i could end up having a really bad day or two, dr said they work on a accumulative basis so the fact missing one or two was doing that i was obviously only just on the right does, now im on 100mg if i miss a day or so im ok, ive been on sertraline for about 7 months now i think, and they havnt half helped, (i have severe depression (contemplating suicide) with bipolar tendencies/possible intermittent explosive disorder (quite difficult to diagnose hence the possible 2 things))

i had the runs for about 2 months on them til my gut got used to them, first few weeks were hell i am not going to lie, but i thought to myself if it helped my head it would be worth it, and it really was

well done on taking the steps mate i know how hard it is, i went from monthly appointments with either the Dr or the mental health nurse, to now them saying he wants to see me in 12 months to see where i am, so i feel good that i have got to that point....i say good, yanno what i am damn proud of myself...hopefully you will get there too mate

send me a PM if you ever want to discuss anything, as I am only a few months ahead of where you are so i should be a good yardstick for what you can expect in the coming months

take care bud

im on sertraline at the minute mate, 100mg seems to be the right dose for me as 50mg worked but if i missed a day i could end up having a really bad day or two, dr said they work on a accumulative basis so the fact missing one or two was doing that i was obviously only just on the right does, now im on 100mg if i miss a day or so im ok, ive been on sertraline for about 7 months now i think, and they havnt half helped, (i have severe depression (contemplating suicide) with bipolar tendencies/possible intermittent explosive disorder (quite difficult to diagnose hence the possible 2 things))

i had the runs for about 2 months on them til my gut got used to them, first few weeks were hell i am not going to lie, but i thought to myself if it helped my head it would be worth it, and it really was

well done on taking the steps mate i know how hard it is, i went from monthly appointments with either the Dr or the mental health nurse, to now them saying he wants to see me in 12 months to see where i am, so i feel good that i have got to that point....i say good, yanno what i am damn proud of myself...hopefully you will get there too mate

send me a PM if you ever want to discuss anything, as I am only a few months ahead of where you are so i should be a good yardstick for what you can expect in the coming months

take care bud
I'm struggling to find the right words to describe how much I appreciate your words of support, and for the candid openness of what you've gone through up to present. That took big cojones absolutely no doubt about that.
I'll come right out and say that me and my missus have a four night break in Majorca that's been planned for a while, travelling Friday. I'm gonna hold back starting the tablets until my return early next week when if funny things start happening, then I'm in familiar surroundings.

Finally able to come back and quote this post from nearly exactly two years ago...

That's what the referral tasks are, but they're capped at the pass-mark (40%). I need 60% for a 2:1 degree classification.
Just did a check, I would have to get no less than 65.5% on all of my assignments in my final year to get a 2:1... Not impossible but its a big ask for a colossal f up like me

Following that post, the next year (last year) I had to retake two modules. Passed one but failed the other and genuinely thought I'd be forced to withdraw. Luckily they gave me a compensated pass so I could continue to my third/final year.
Got my last provisional grade back today and I've averaged 64.42% this year which takes my overrall aggregate grade to 59.7%... Just 0.3% shy of the 2:1 I've desperately wanted. BUT I found this line on my University's website:
If your aggregate percentage mark is not more than 3.0 percentage points below a classification band then the following alternative classification methods are used:
  • you will be awarded the higher classification if your level 6 aggregate mark is in the higher classification band
And since all my level 6 modules this year have been either 2:1 or 1st's, I'm pretty sure I've got the 2:1! Not going to get too excited untill the grade comes out officially but I'm so chuffed right now. Didn't think it was possible. Uni has been a horrible rollercoaster for me, I've had my lowest lows here and the thought that after all that I can come away with a 2:1 just gives me such genuine relief.

Managed to contact the Mental Health Trust regards my self referral.
I was passed through the relevant team whereupon I spent best part of an hour explaining my immediate symptoms to a very calm sounding, non judgemental professional lady on the other end.
The options were explained to me and by mutual agreement my first direct involvement is to be face to face counselling.
I have been bolstered by the support I've received already, and that is just by opening up which underlines the now blindingly obvious, and that is don't bottle things up.
I'll shut up now as I'm sure I'm beginning to sound tedious, but a big thank you to all on here that have taken the time to listen.

I was passed through the relevant team whereupon I spent best part of an hour explaining my immediate symptoms to a very calm sounding, non judgemental professional lady on the other end.
The options were explained to me and by mutual agreement my first direct involvement is to be face to face counselling.
I have been bolstered by the support I've received already, and that is just by opening up which underlines the now blindingly obvious, and that is don't bottle things up.
I'll shut up now as I'm sure I'm beginning to sound tedious, but a big thank you to all on here that have taken the time to listen.

Look back at your first post mate a few days ago and then compare it to this post.

They`re like night and day, you`ve moved on so much in such a short space of time.

Opening up is the first step to getting better.

Please keep posting, as there`ll be days when you may have a " wobble " or just need a sounding board or advice ;)

Look back at your first post mate a few days ago and then compare it to this post.

They`re like night and day, you`ve moved on so much in such a short space of time.

Opening up is the first step to getting better.

Please keep posting, as there`ll be days when you may have a " wobble " or just need a sounding board or advice ;)
Of course I will.
This is where the recovery started and I'll be forever grateful.

I'm struggling to find the right words to describe how much I appreciate your words of support, and for the candid openness of what you've gone through up to present. That took big cojones absolutely no doubt about that.
I'll come right out and say that me and my missus have a four night break in Majorca that's been planned for a while, travelling Friday. I'm gonna hold back starting the tablets until my return early next week when if funny things start happening, then I'm in familiar surroundings.

yeah mate i was curled up in a ball on the floor in mine for periods when the tabs where starting, beat my insides up like haha

to be honest mate it wasn't cojones that made me get help, it was having a little lad, and not feeling happy and feeling like hed be better without me, i live dangerously close to broadgreen train station and i thought of "going there" more than once, i actually did go round in tears once and was planning on doing myself in, instead when the train came i somehow managed to hold myself back, and instead of jumping in front......i got on it.....and rode it to town and back (past mine) and had calmed down by the time i reached roby station

the tabs and a newly found positive mindset changed my life, and being able to feel the love and enjoyment of having my lad saved my life

its a long hard road, and mate it requires some serious effort on your part too, a common phrase used if "you have to want to get better too"

as @COYBL25 has said there your posts already show a changing mindset, that's the first massive step mate

you can do this!, smash its head in lad! we got you fam!

peace bro, speak soon, enjoy your trip, try not to drink too much as alcohol doesn't help! (ive pretty much knocked it on the head!)

don't be daft lad no such thing as tedious in this thread mate! if there is words you want out you go right ahead!

It’s nothing compared to the things being discussed in this thread, but been having some absolutely brutal sleep paralysis every night since the weekend

Only 2 I can remember the details of was 1 where I was lying at the bottom of a spiral staircase n something was coming down it dead slowly, n last night some sort of shadow witch thing was stood over me but obv couldn’t move

Any of yous had it before? Minging

It’s nothing compared to the things being discussed in this thread, but been having some absolutely brutal sleep paralysis every night since the weekend

Only 2 I can remember the details of was 1 where I was lying at the bottom of a spiral staircase n something was coming down it dead slowly, n last night some sort of shadow witch thing was stood over me but obv couldn’t move

Any of yous had it before? Minging

I get it every other night normally. It's usually when I fall into a deep sleep with my back to the bedroom door. Wake up and I think the door is open with a man stood in the doorway but can't roll over to check. Nightmare haha.