1995-2020 = the longest barren spell without silverware in Everton's history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Ruthlessness. Not just at Liverpool either.

Chelsea exactly the same. United too. We laugh at these teams for a few months and think they're in a mess. Only for them to go and win some more trophies very quickly. Meanwhile, we maintain our position of doing nothing but tread water.

If we dont win a trophy next season a shameful anniversary will be upon us: 25 years without a trophy win. That'll eclipse the previous barren period between 1939-1963 by a year (and that was as lengthy as it was because there was no football for 6 years because of a war). Since 1995, Leicester have won three trophies; Villa, Blackburn, M'boro, Birmingham City, Swansea City, Portsmouth and Wigan have each won a trophy.

Our downfall hasn't happened by accident. It's happened because the club in the last quarter of a century has been run by amateurs who've squandered the greatest money spree there's ever been at the disposal of Everton in its history. It's gone nowhere. Spent on paying off loans (and the interest run up for those loans...and that's another murky area in and of itself). Those loans were taken out because a series of owners simply didn't have the wherewithal to make a successful takeover happen and they used the club's PL status as a credit card and a liberal sprinkling of player sales to keep themselves in position for a future sale. Oh yes, there's been poor recruitment of managers and players. The cash wasted there hasn't helped either.

But this has been an age defined by our former peers upgrading stadia / building new stadia in order to stay competitive and increase their chances of success, but Everton's owners were too dimwitted to ever get a stadium idea off the drawing board and built. Which should come as no surprise to anyone, because they are the same people who employed a variety of CEOs to cut deals which were appallingly small for a club of this size, people who exhibited no idea how to grow Everton into a commercially viable operation. They've all recognised the key problem, for sure, but that's only been in order to hide their failure behind the mantra of 'facility-led' recovery and then they fold their arms as if nothing else matters. And here we are now still waiting for it with promises of updates where a secured planning permission for a stadium and funding to build it should be.

So, as we head into our 25th year in the wilderness, take a bow Messrs Johnson, Finch, Kenwright, Gregg, Earl, Dunford, Wyness, Elstone, Moshiri...and you too Mrs Barrett-Baxendale.

We wake up to the continuing nightmare of our local rival lifting another piece of silverware and taking their place in the sun while we remain firmy in the shadows, but remember that those named above are our real enemies, not an embarrassing cult who just so happen to share the same city as us. No one at Liverpool bollocksed us up for this length of time. The perpetrators of our quarter of a century decline all sat and sit in our boardroom at L4.
It's all jughead Brands fault.

Maybe so, but currently we’ve got Pep’s Man City and Klopp’s Liverpool who look like absolute behemoths ready to sweep up again next year.

Liverpool have one freak season of 97 points in a sea of 70 odd point season efforts. I remain unconvinced...just like their win last night and form in the last 10 games of the season were unconvincing.

Liverpool have one freak season of 97 points in a sea of 70 odd point season efforts. I remain unconvinced...just like their win last night and form in the last 10 games of the season were unconvincing.

Unfortunately they’ve improved every season Klopp’s been there and now have a tangible winning belief added to that. It’s a dangerous mixture for us.

Unfortunately they’ve improved every season Klopp’s been there and now have a tangible winning belief added to that. It’s a dangerous mixture for us.
Maybe, maybe not. One trophy in 4 seasons under Klopp. I'll reserve judgement. No doubt he'll do what Benitez did and follow it up with domestic silverware, but beyond that....?

'kin all mate, if I didn't have a memory that could stretch back to the 80s I dont think I could carry on with Everton. My hat is permantly tipped to you and others of your age who've seen none or barely any success.

My Everton highlights:

Finishing fourth
72 points
FA Cup semi pen shootout win

My arl fellas:

Cup Winners Cup
League titles
FA Cups

It's not exactly fair.

Maybe, maybe not. One trophy in 4 seasons under Klopp. I'll reserve judgement. No doubt he'll do what Benitez did and follow it up with domestic silverware, but beyond that....?

Let’s just hope it continues to be not the league title. Honestly I’d take them winning the FA Cup every year for the next 5 years if it meant them staying away from the title.

Mentality needs to change

I was a bit taken aback by the smugness on show at the recent AGMs, a bit of self reflection would of been more appropriate IMO.

I ain’t confident in Moshiri and co at all but I’d love them to turn out to be a long term success. And by success I mean challenging for and winning the main competitions and delivering a truly top class stadium. We’d all love that wouldn’t we.

And this “go and support another club” I’m seeing from some thrown at the more critical fans doesn’t help. You don’t have to agree with what they say but you don’t have to be a condescending bell about it either.

Another thing I’d like to see less of is the “worst case scenario” stuff banded about when things are challenged, called out or things are not doing well. The “we don’t wanna be (insert club)” stuff , instead of be careful what you wish for I’d like to see a little more “hey things could be better here” mentality.

The mentality is the most worrying thing. They've been average in a lot of games this season but the mentality has seen them through.

It’s what was always going to happen when you give the second best manager in the world 4 years and an open cheque book to bring in whoever he wants.

Let’s just hope it continues to be not the league title. Honestly I’d take them winning the FA Cup every year for the next 5 years if it meant them staying away from the title.
I think it's beyond them. If they invest again and they all gell and they keep the luck going they had this season? Maybe. But they are up against a formidable outfit that wont relent, and VAR when applied, will chalk off a lot of points for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.