Do we need an Everton 'heart' within the side?

Is having a 'traditional' Evertonian (fan / long-server) in the team important?

• Yes it is important

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Not important at all - just get the best players possible

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • Cheese (was first discovered 8000BC when sheep were first domesticated) on toast

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is how will they integrate into the club ethos ... I'd say Happy, Gomes, Digne & Bernard have certainly done so. Mina a little slower to the plate but seems involved enough.

These guys today pretty much get it, so I would not overly worry about "the Everton Way" - not done much for us since the dogs of war, has it?

The ‘one of us’ Everton players have largely failed us recently. Some of our better signings like Arteta Cahill Coleman Pienaar had no connection to us whatsoever so who is to say that anyone we bring in now will be a mercenary.

I’d love to have our version of Terry and Lampard to build a team around but frankly the likes of Barkley Stones Rooney likes us even less than some of the foreign lads and couldn’t wait to leave.

We are crying out for a leader on the pitch however that alone doesnt bring success - Watford have Deeney who is a proper battler on the pitch but without quality around him it means little.

Likewise we have more quality than Watford but have no backbone in the side.

We need to keep bringing in quality but we really could do with a leader like Kompany in the side.

No because some players become Evertonians once they are here, they don't have to be, Barkley being a good example, vs those who fall in love with the club

The Moyes working class lot who won bugger all. I'm all for Evertonians here, most clubs have old boys on staff but like with management and coaches, I only want the best people for the job. The best players for the job may not be 'Evertonians' but no reason they can't fall in love with the club and become one.

Much as it pains me to say it, I think we are lacking in a Keane/Gerrard/Brown figure at the club, a dressing room leader who instills the right mentality in the rest of the team, especially in things like the Derby

That person doesn't need to have come from our own system, Keane and Brown came from other clubs to United and Celtic for instance, but we are lacking someone with that attitude

I think so. Whether it's a local lad or somebody who's been brought in, I think it's good to have a couple of players who you really feel 'get' the club. I'm happy for the majority of the team to be made up of mercenaries if they can help us win stuff, but the odd stalwart is good to have around IMO.

No because some players become Evertonians once they are here, they don't have to be, Barkley being a good example, vs those who fall in love with the club
Alan Ball was the epitome of that.Remember going to hear him do an after dinner in West Derby,he was as much a Blue as any of us.

All teams need leaders and we are no exception.
The better teams generally have a couple of players that it is clear to see are leaders within the group.... Kompany at City is an obvious example. I think Maguire is another.

At Everton I think we are short of natural leaders. I think Seamus is one but I am not sure if there are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.