2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know: Liverpool are currently demanding £25M for Harry Wilson. Zero PL experience.

But Harry Wilson is a player who Liverpool rate very highly, recently gave a 5 year contract to and has a goal ratio better than 1 in 3 in the Championship at a very young age despite playing on the wing. The same division where players such as Bolassie couldn't hold down a regular first team place and weren't nearly as effective.

You must recognise that young talent with bags of potential is always going to command much better prices than proven failures with massive contracts and a club desperate to offload them.

But Harry Wilson is a player who Liverpool rate very highly, recently gave a 5 year contract to and has a goal ratio better than 1 in 3 in the Championship at a very young age despite playing on the wing. The same division where players such as Bolassie couldn't hold down a regular first team place and weren't nearly as effective.

You must recognise that young talent with bags of potential is always going to command much better prices than proven failures with massive contracts and a club desperate to offload them.
I'm not saying we should expect £25M for them. I'm saying Brands has to get value for them in terms of the current inflated market place.

I understand why you picked up on the fact it's a rumoured figure for Wilson's fee as it wouldn't be worth your time making the counter point that the carousel of crazily inflated fees for garbage is about to end anytime soon.
No No, you misunderstand, much like everyone else of reason Im AGREEING with you. Clearly, if theres a rumor about a fee that no one has paid to anyone, you are justified in doing what you said and blaming Brands for also not selling players for imaginary non-existent fees in the future!

Its the only thing that makes sense!

So how many of those out on loan are anywhere near that level of wage?

Sandro ...

Also bolasie is on what 75-80k
Mirrallas the same?

Both are absolutely shocking players that couldn’t make it in the championship and the other in the Greek league

Williams was on 75k for a 33 year old fat cb
They’re wages are to big and they won’t take pay cuts . You can’t force clubs to spend massive on wages and fees . We could maybe take a reduced fee in order for the club to offer higher wages to the player in order for the player to accept and for the buying club to stay within it valuations.

I'm not saying we should expect £25M for them. I'm saying Brands has to get value for them in terms of the current inflated market place.

Brands has to get the best deal possible . Some of those players I would actually give away for free if it meant we didn’t have to pay them that’s how bad they are.

If a club has say 35m for a player they can go and buy him for 25m and pay him 2m a year over 5 years. If they have that and want to buy bolasie , to match his wages is going to be 4m a year Handel the fee has to be lowered in order to stay on budget. You also have the fact that everyone knows we don’t want him and that he’s not prem standard and that he couldn’t even nail down a place in a championship team so basically for anyone to gamble on him we need to sell him at a massive loss

I think we have to see more throughput on players outgoing this summer but I recognise the difficulties faced.

Bolasie typifies the mess that Walsh and Koeman made.

In particular the age profile of a lot of the signings was obviously wrong - late 20s or older and so with a 3-5 year contract on top, automatically limited from day one in terms of resale value. As was the lopsided and unbalanced prioritisation of some positions over others, and the costly duplication as a result.

Another costly error was contract extensions to older players who could have been moved out at the right time like Mirallas.

You can still shift younger players as clubs are still inclined to regard an unsuccessful spell elsewhere as more of a potential one-off and with mitigating circumstances.

This is like waiting on a plie of dirty laundry to come out of the wash - and the cycle still has two years to run in some cases unfortunately.

We can't dictate to market forces if there are no willing buyers at our price and the players wage levels.

We can commit to an overhaul in how we do transfer business, and signing players of the right age and potential, to ensure future sustainability.

I know resale value is not what some want to hear if we have ambition, but I think we'll be dependent on this model come what may over the next decade.

Last edited:
Dave will tell you that Brands should have signed a quality striker in January

This overlooks the fact that anyone with a quality striker on their books may not have been willing to sell them in January and that everyone in football will tell you that January isn't a good time to do business because of the fact that anyone who is willing to sell in January will demand a silly fee. Still, regardless of all that, Dave will tell you that Brands still should have signed a quality striker.
My view is that he was waiting to see how the Pedro from Fluimenese recovered from his injury and will buy him in June

I’m not sure if a view and a fervent hope are the same thing.

You can only get what some one is willing to pay otherwise we are stuck with them until their contracts expire, darn it Dave you should know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.