Sandy Brown: an appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

larbert toffee

Player Valuation: £60m
Just perusing the Gwladys St hall of fame and noticed there was no Sandy Brown amongst the many recipients.
Some whom have been given the honour only spent a fleeting and relatively undistinguished visit to our club compared to Sandy.
Sandy was the original utility player, in the days of one substitute he played in every position for us including goalkeeper.
Sandy was an unsung hero for us for many years and only once was truly in the spotlight when he probably scored one of the best own goals ever, a classic diving header unfortunately against the RS.
In these days of high wages you will never see a player leave as much on the pitch in blood,sweat and tears as Sandy used to, not the most gifted but never gave less than 100%.
I feel honoured to be part of a generation that saw a character like Sandy in a blues squad, sadly no longer with us, a player I will always remember with affection.
**Mods if this requires moving into World football please do so.

...Sandy Brown had quality and attitude, I know he scored that famous og, but apparently Shankly was an admirer of a bloke who I think played in every position for the club. That goal wasn’t so important, as I think it was in the season we won the league, so Sandy had the last laugh.

Over 200 games for the Blues in an era when we had a top side says it all.

I always admired Sandy. As others have mentioned, he could be (and was) called upon to cover ANY position on the pitch. Not necessarily the most gifted player, but always gave 100 per cent for the cause.
Such a shame that he's mainly remembered these days for that own goal (cracking header mind)

To me a great right back who suffered having to sit out for the great Ray Wilson - he covered every position sometimes as substitute - my memorable moment was in the 1st ever pen shoot out European cup game v BM Gwladys street end the ball hit the back of the net and came out on a wet night.... he had a cracking shot.....
here's a nice image of him -

Last edited:

When I first started supporting Everton Sandy Brown was in the team … somewhere.
A player that was just great for any team, stick him anywhere he would do a job and say nothing if he was on the bench.
Players like him really cannot be found now.

He looked like he was a collection of parts just brought together but never left the team down.

When I first started supporting Everton Sandy Brown was in the team … somewhere.
A player that was just great for any team, stick him anywhere he would do a job and say nothing if he was on the bench.
Players like him really cannot be found now.

He looked like he was a collection of parts just brought together but never left the team down.
Alan Harper like ?

1967 - Sandy played in goal of necessity- away at Newcastle, I was there. The Leazes End was lively that day with beer bottles being chucked about! Here's a part report lifted from a Newcastle site " … when In the dying minutes of the game, Everton’s goalkeeper, Gordon West cleared the ball up field. As Newcastle’s, Jim Iley, ran past him, West kicked out and caught Iley needlessly. Fortunately for Newcastle, the referee spotted the foul and sent West off. The ball, although deep in Newcastle’s half, was technically still in play. The referee awarded a penalty. Newcastle scored and won the game 1-0".

1967 - Sandy played in goal of necessity- away at Newcastle, I was there. The Leazes End was lively that day with beer bottles being chucked about! Here's a part report lifted from a Newcastle site " … when In the dying minutes of the game, Everton’s goalkeeper, Gordon West cleared the ball up field. As Newcastle’s, Jim Iley, ran past him, West kicked out and caught Iley needlessly. Fortunately for Newcastle, the referee spotted the foul and sent West off. The ball, although deep in Newcastle’s half, was technically still in play. The referee awarded a penalty. Newcastle scored and won the game 1-0".
Apparently Westie berated Sandy all the way home on the coach for not saving the penalty even though his only action as a stand in keeper was to face the spot kick lolGreat times, great teams and great characters:)

Status
Not open for further replies.