2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 12 month extension on say 20,000 week wage or a pay as you play is fine as it gives time to blood one of the younger kids for 12 months and have them ready to be added to squad the following season! Its safe clever bet to have the mature back up to Digne as well as complete novice!

There's no way he's taking a 75% pay cut. He'll probably be on the same money he's on now for one last season.

This isn't rocket science. The club (Brands and Silva) have weighed up their options:

- Promote Gibson or Robinson who they have played this season at U23 or bottom quarter of the Championship level.

- Buy a second choice left back using money that could go on more pressing areas and may be wasted as what kind of player would come here to understudy to our player of the season?

- Retain Baines for another season. A player who is old but has been at the club a very long time and in the manager's own words is a great professional.

They decided that the Baines option was the most agreeable and when you really look at it, it's hard to argue against it.

Baines still offers something as a player to the squad. We're looking to recycle a lot of players so some stability in some areas wont be a bad thing with so much other change planned.

Ffs
There’s a fat kid called dave “knight” sat at home tonight wumming us all
Every time I fall for this dude

He has to be the best ever

....Baines will be in demand for a club who want a quality LB but also want vast Premier League experience and professionalism. Remember we paid money for Ashley Williams because our manager/DoF wanted leadership in the dressing room.

The difference is Baines is 34 and 35 in December.

I really cant see anyone signing him on £40k+ a week with £1mil signing bonus.

Then why offer a contract to Baines for a season when he's on an enormous sum and no agent will accept any substantial reduction?

Wouldn't you rather a younger player gets that start from the bench initially rather than Baines?I mean, how ae we going to encourage our better younger players to stick with us and attract others to the club when they see two players of the age of Baines and Jagielka getting on the bench?

I dont think you read or understood my post.

Digne starts
Baines deputy
Gibson / Robinson reserve

Over the course of the season we can integrate the two younger players with Baines and Digne guiding them.

I would imagine they would get a few mins here / there until consistently outperforming Baines in training and taking his spot.

It relieves a lot of pressure on the two kids.

....I wouldn’t have extended Baines’ contract but there is a bottom line on this;

From a footballing perspective he’s an extremely capable back-up.

Silva will want to use him over anybody else in the club if Digne is unavailable. The only other option is to bring a back-up in, but a years salary to Baines is probably cheaper. Silva wants him, I have no doubt about that.

I suspect weve looked at it as:

A -- A replacement could cost £10mil
B -- The younger players need a bit longer
C-- Any savings can be used on strengthening other areas this season.

35 and 37 years of age next season.

What PL club looking to seriously become a top 6 organisation hands contracts out like that?

None.

Ergo: the club have no ambition.

Moshiri talks about not becoming a museum but then allows the squad to be populated by two fossils.

"Ha Ha Ha. It's great though. Let's all laugh at Dave."

I’d give baines one on 20k a week or whatever but jags? No .. and I agree we really should have better players than extending both contracts

There's no way he's taking a 75% pay cut. He'll probably be on the same money he's on now for one last season.

This isn't rocket science. The club (Brands and Silva) have weighed up their options:

- Promote Gibson or Robinson who they have played this season at U23 or bottom quarter of the Championship level.

- Buy a second choice left back using money that could go on more pressing areas and may be wasted as what kind of player would come here to understudy to our player of the season?

- Retain Baines for another season. A player who is old but has been at the club a very long time and in the manager's own words is a great professional.

They decided that the Baines option was the most agreeable and when you really look at it, it's hard to argue against it.

Baines still offers something as a player to the squad. We're looking to recycle a lot of players so some stability in some areas wont be a bad thing with so much other change planned.
100% he is on a much lower pay deal

That's just a tortuous route taken to justify the unjustifiable.

I like Silva and think he's a very astute tactician and is our future. However, if those two stay here then I have him joining the ranks of his predecessors who have acted like 'kin cowards over getting shut of the pair of them. Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce all failed to grasp the nettle and get shut of at least one and now Silva has gone for a quiet life by apparently agreeing to contract extensions.

A terrible terrible decision...and it'll come back to haunt him, becuase we all KNOW those two are going to come in and fail to hit any sort of heights and those people agreeing with the decision to retain them now will be first in line screaming "WTF did he hand those two fossils an extension for!?"

So what you’re saying is that 4 consecutive managers have not been able to see the obvious fact that Baines and Jagielka are holding the club back as both players are actively disruptive, with a poor mentality that impacts negatively on the rest of the team, and those 4 managers have not had the professional bottle to get rid.

Or that you’re wrong.

I’ll give it some thought.

I wouldn't view a deputy for Digne as a luxury. If Digne doesn't play we have our biggest asset neutralized: that left flank where all the attacking intent comes from.

I find it incredible that we're all supposed to accept there is no alternartive to re-signing Baines. It's just about the least rational option. It'\d be nice if all those advocating it held their hands up when/if Baines has a howler...as we can reasonably expect him to hand us given that he'll be 35 next season.

We're just an Old Boys Club at the end of the day. I was inclined to think we'd turned a new leaf with Brands and his utterances about age of squad etc.

Sadly, it's just more nonsense from this club. Nostalgia FC.
It's about prioritising with finite funds and who we might be able to attract to be back up. Do you think brands has not spent this season thinking long and hard about this? Sometimes I think you don't exist in the real world... Like we all have to learn to prioritise and compromise day to day, it's not rocket science.

I agree with @davek - have we not learnt our lessons of hanging on to high played good servants Hibbert a three year deal played 45 minutes -Tim Howard - let goals in for fun kept him far too long giving a keeper a contract with a 3 year deal on the basis of one great world cup game...
Last season Stek never been used thank goodness ...
anymore we can add to the list ?
other clubs seem to get rid far quicker.......
We have younger youth players out on loan - the left back at Wigan has had a good season - Holgate could play at right back etc..... or centre back......

Status
Not open for further replies.