With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm a fan from the US

i think it's already been said, but the lack of recent success means that to be a fan, you're probably gonna be more than a casual fan, unlike reds "fans"

you see people wear their kits and shirts and merch around NYC and odds are they don't really know too much. as was stated, the reds are a cult (loosely stated) and a brand more than anything else. to don our crest here is not something that is worn for "brand recognition", but is an indicator of genuine team pride in most cases
Absolutely. Im living down under now, but lucky enough to travel a fair bit overseas. The blues Ive met on my travels have always been sound, usually know their stuff but can talk football without taking themselves too seriously. Not the same for reds and others Ive come across.

i might have used it to insult reds in the past, but it's been a long time since i did, because i believe it's insulting to our fellow everton fans abroad... and i cringe whenever i see it being used as an insult on these forums.

As a southern toffee my first experience of everton was on a family holiday to see my relatives in Dublin,they had just won the league in the 69 season and saw them play shamrock rovers in a friendly (guess you could say I was a glory hunter),then spent much time and money during my school days following everton at Midlands grounds mostly seeing them lose but a little bit of respite during the Latchford years,later 70,s saw me and my mates learn to drive and a 300 mile trip to watch the blues perform and disappoint too many to mention, including Glen keeley derby,all of a sudden they start winning and we are playing stoke away in a league winning season and some scousers ask us where we are from and accuse us of being glory hunter's, when we quiz them about some of disastrous games we had been to ,they hadn't, I carried on watching the blues up to the martinez era but haven't been since due to other commitments, I guess my point is that you don't have to come from Liverpool to be a true supporter

Believe it or not I was at that match v Rovers. I was brought by my older brother who is a life long United fan.

Everton played Rovers every year from around 1966 to 1972...a legacy of Farrell and Eglinton I suppose.

I was also at the Glen Keeley derby as posted earlier. Still gives me the shivers.

Faith of Our Families ( great book) explains how Irish Evertonians in the 40s and 50s were some of the first to travel over by ferry to see Everton- simply because there were so many Irish in the squad at the time.

The numbers supporting United went up hugely after the Munich tragedy but there were very few travelling to the tin mine until the 70s and 80s from the Republic.

However they also seem to have had a big long term support from the Shankill in Belfast - I was unfortunate enough to have met them after the 0-5 at Goodison in 82 because the P&O was on strike and they were put on the Dublin B&I. Not a nice experience.

Still a good hard core of Evertonians in the Republic but the Kitbag deal meant Everton shirts were not available in Irish sports shops. A bad PR move in my view.

Exactly how I'm a blue. Family moved over mid 50's and my dad followed the blues all over the place because of the Irish players in the squad. He and a load of Irish based here used to travel to away matches together. Christ knows how their livers lasted so long. Needless to say it runs in the family now ....as does a hefty tipple.

Born in California, live in California, but was in Surrey during the late 70s through mid 80s. Had no reason to support everton but there you go. Everyone around me were spurs fans. No way to watch a game for about 20 years after moving back stateside, but every weekend I'm up at 430 am to watch if it is the early game, and the little ones are there with me.

I tell them, we don't like the red ones, they're bad. Somebody once said that reds fans were proof u could get pregnant through the back door...guess I have nothing to worry about but it's still early.

Most important part of our club is the direct local community. It’s what it can offer to those around the area first and foremost. It’s great people from outside the area care about the club and want to support it but it should always be for those who need it in the local community.

Personally, I think if you're a foreigner and you choose to support us over a Big 6 team, 1) you're clearly mad and 2) congrats for not going for the obvious choice. I know the two Tims gained us a lot of Aussie and American fans respectively. Tosun's gained us loads of Turks as well if Facebook's anything to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.