With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a discussion with one of them on pretty much the same subject yesterday. He said he couldn't understand why Evertonians confronted the waiting Liverpool fans at Lime Street. Claimed that it was cringeworthy and small time from the Everton fans and only made them the laughing stock.

Advised him to even if it was a once in a lifetime experience for him, to look at the whole history between the two clubs and not being completely blind for the facts that are obvious to see for everyone.

Also adviced him, to look further as how the Everton fans reacted, but rather look how the vast majority of football minded England reacted to City winning the title. You made yourself hated by everyone by your self entitlement, completely deluded fanbase and often disgraceful behaviour and that that had absolutely nothing to do with us. You called that upon yourself.

Dishing out is all good and well and also pretty easy, but if the shoe is on the other foot be a man and face up to it.

All I got back from him was that I was jealous and bitter and he didn't feel the need to carry on the discussion.
They have no defence so resort to asinine insults.

Any American that gives a flip about soccer, especially American players, will think fondly of Everton from the beginning. However, when you come over to Liverpool and just chat with the locals, there is an IMMEDIATE, noticeable difference between Everton fans and Liverpool fans. There's also a noticeable difference between the clubs - one is pure business, the other, while a bit pathetic at times in its business dealings, is about the club, its supporters, and its heritage first and foremost.

But as an American that is inundated with LFC and other clubs paraphernalia and casual, stupid fan BS everyday, NO ONE in this country that would chose or be chosen to be an Everton fan is a bandwagon fan.

As someone that grew up in Pittsburgh, there really isn't such a thing as someone from my hometown that is a bandwagon fan of anything. Its an incredibly provincial town that would never identify with Man U or someone like that. It would be like choosing to be a Yankees fan. No chance. It's also worth noting that although sports are massive in the US, the number of cities in the US that truly live and die with their sports teams are few and far between. The local connection is something that is passed down and accepted as part of every day life. That aspect of Everton I can also totally relate to.

I personally am looking forward to getting over to Liverpool and seeing a proper game at Goodison in August. I'd almost guarantee I will be warmly received, because that's the club and it's followers. Just how it is.

I think it's perfectly fine, dandy even, for any and all UK clubs to have passionate out of town/non UK fans and I include Liverpool in that. There's something heartwarming that there might be a tiny Huddersfield supporters club in New York or New Delhi or wherever.
But..
Everything in proportion. The rs OOT support is clearly not in proportion. It's a worldwide army of idiots, people who live in Jersey or wherever and have just decided to support a 'big' team and are rich enough to fly in in their thousands for games and so on.

You see lots of Barca etc tops in the UK which I totally get, but people should support their actual local teams too, not just the biggies. And why Southerners/Londoners should support the rs (or Man U for that matter) is beyond me (it's not beyond me really, it's just gloryhunting and I don't CARE if your great uncle was from Widnes, you have no actual connection with the area other than you just want to support a successful team so GTF.)

As for local reds, hmm. Quite happy to reap the on field benefits of a massive worldwide cash influx, and world media kissing your rear, but not happy to share the ground with the touristy ipad wielding hordes.. sorry, that's the deal you've made, so live with it..

The out of town Liverpool fans are glory hunters of the club but probably know nothing about the city it’s in. Everton out of town fans are far from glory hunters and seem to have the club in their souls like the rest of us, I’d be confident in saying that they also know our history like local supporters do, could the RS out of town supporters say that? Probably not because they are probably just jumping on a so called fashionable branded club at that is a recent thing due to sky etc.

I’m from Fazak but currently residing in Newcastle for my sins.

When people meet me they’re not surprised I’m a blue. I think even people from elsewhere think that most scousers are blue and not glory hunters whereas they think most RS fans are.

My Geordie fiancée on a visit home once commented to wind me up that she saw more red shirts in town I said yeh they’re tourists waiting for their transport home!

No issue with anyone who loves the blues - especially when we’re so starved of success. Something brings you to Everton - or Everton to you - maybe it’s madness.

But how many mixed red/blue families are there? My Dad wouldn’t have had it any other way and fortunately Mum is a bluenose along with my sister they aren’t big football fans but you better believe they’ll shout about it when challenged!

Not bothered who you are or where you’re from but if you suffer alongside me following the blues you’re alright by me...

It’s surely the person and how they conduct themselves when talking about ‘their’ Club that defines the opinion you form rather than the accent it’s spoken in or where they currently live. Football has changed in my lifetime, Premiership saw to that, where the broadcasting is global and exploited by the Clubs themselves via lucrative overseas tours and foreign investment and massive TV deals to keep the gravy train running. We were late to this party and are still playing catch up.

When I first started going the game, it was almost exclusively a Scouse fanbase and with that comes a limited reach in terms of improving future income streams. We are proud of our heritage and rightly so, but to grow a wider and more inclusive fanbase is the only way you can succeed. Liverpool, United have attracted fans from across the globe that arguably only Barca and Real can’t match in terms of size of market share.

I have some great and close friends who are Liverpool fans...like me, they’ve gone the game - home and away - for best part of thirty years. We support different teams and the rivalry is intense, yet knowledgable about the game, so saying it’s the Club you support or where you are from is the determining factor is just wrong, it may play a part, but it’s about the person. If they are a bell end, they’ll be a bell end. Liverpool have acquired a lot of them though and shows little sign of stopping any time soon.

There’s more factors at play.

Firstly the sheer volume of tourists - and that’s what they are, purely tourists not Liverpool fans.

None-local fans of any club is fine as far as I can see, so long as they’re actual fans.

I actually feel sorry for scouse reds at times. The heart and sound has beeen ripped out of their club. It’s a commodity and a cult, not a club.

So I’ve no problem with any clubs fans being from anywhere, as long as they’re true fans.

@Adam-GOTTV - what’s your thoughts?
If you google "Liverpool fan tourist club" and go to videos there is one of a young Liverpool fan being interviewed on the whole tourist club.. he makes great points, I dare not post a link here as I'll get banned.

I was brought up in Chesterfield and have been going to games since I was 4 ( North Korea would be proud of the brainwashing my dad did).
Anyways even amongst the chesterfield/sheffield/Derby fans growing up it has always been a running joke to ask every Liverpool fan if they had ever been? The vast majority will wax lyrical about how its impossible to get a ticket to see them.

I absolutely love everton. Always felt something spiritual about it. It effects me and my mood something fierce. I get some Liverpool natives not getting it. But the feeling inside feels like it's in my blood and aforementioned spirit. Like it was meant to be. Feel as close to goodison in my heart as anywhere else in Ireland. It's local to me.

It’s a working class club and you generally support us through a family connection (you kind of have to now lol) you’re going to get pride in where the team and their supporters are from. We’re also named after an area of the City which will be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.