With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a WOOL I do sometimes feel like I'm considered somewhat of a lesser fan in comparison to the Scouse Evertonians

It's something I'll have to deal with more the more successful Everton get I fear
Mikey, if Everton get more successful it will be less of a problem as the fanbase worldwide will increase and the parochial attitude of some will be forced to change.
Clubs need the broadest base of supporters possible for support to help generate funds from merchandising etc.

I live in the South of Ireland and I see far more Liverpool tops and gear in my home town that I ever seem to do when I am in Liverpool.

We have always had fans from around the country, first few years i went there were a group from Birmingham who stood by us for a few seasons, had some brilliant fans from outside the area From Hull to London, seemed to be a lot from stafford at one point, but the difference to the rent a crowd across the park was they were and are fans not Tourists , saying that there used to be a gang of asian rs who used to go into the Dark House after there games that went everywhere with them from London. they were alright for a laugh and brought food with them every week till some div upset them, typically an untra scouse red who never went near Anfield so it works both ways
Where you are from doesn't make you any better or worse a fan it's the type of fan you are.

I welcome our Overseas fans as they especially are dedicated to following our great club whilst absolutely not being described as Glory Hunting Tourists. Every one that I personally know are super people.

Compared to the visitors laden down with LFC branded new gear wandering round Liverpool.

nothing against international fans what so ever, and as somebody said earlier on in the post its the scouse reds I feel sorry for, they find it a lot harder to get tickets because the stadium is full of tourist who are they for a day out and to spends loads of money in the club shop

then again they revel in the fact they are a worldwide brand so can't really moan when for this reason they cant get tickets

in my opinion though and I'm not saying it's right but I always think you should support who you live by, ie if your a cockney all your family cockney and all your family support say west ham but you decide you want to be a Liverpool fan I don't get that personally, like what's the connection?

Nothing wrong with supporters from other areas. They are no more or no less supporters than those born in the city boundaries.

The quality of those supporters is the key. Liverpool's out-of-towners are all muppets who make up lies after every derby about us singing Hillsborough songs when even the staunchest Scouse red would tell you that it doesn't happen.

Their non-local fans are all bandwagon, glory-hunting beauts from down south or around the world with no proper connection to the club and would drop them if they finished outside of the top 6 for 5 years.

When we win the Cup next year I’m binning all of you off for Villa

nothing against international fans what so ever, and as somebody said earlier on in the post its the scouse reds I feel sorry for, they find it a lot harder to get tickets because the stadium is full of tourist who are they for a day out and to spends loads of money in the club shop

then again they revel in the fact they are a worldwide brand so can't really moan when for this reason they cant get tickets

in my opinion though and I'm not saying it's right but I always think you should support who you live by, ie if your a cockney all your family cockney and all your family support say west ham but you decide you want to be a Liverpool fan I don't get that personally, like what's the connection?

As someone who grew up outside of Liverpool but chose to support Everton, sometimes it has nothing to do with locality. I had Man United (The really good Fergie side from the 90's no less) on my doorstep and went with Everton because Everton "felt right" for whatever reason

You don't have to be from where a team is to connect with it's values or feel like it's the club for you

What got me interested in Everton were players like Kanchelskis and Hinchcliffe because they were talented, and after watching them I came to like the team as a whole and eventually Everton just became my team, even though I didn't live in the City. I don't even remember the 95 Cup Final for instance, so it's not even like watching that was the impetus. The first full season I really remember is 1996/97, with bits and pieces prior to that like the Wimbledon game in 94 and the Kanchelskis Derby

That could happen for any club

...it’s not easy being an Evertonian, so I like to think our fans are true to the cause. It really doesn’t matter where we’re from, indeed I love that we have global and non-Scouse fans because each and every one of them is one of us.

Also, historically we have an extensive Welsh and Irish following, long may that continue.

I think the overriding issue is non-local reds are seen as glory hunters, whereas non-local blues are seen as self-harmers (of a sort - obviously self-harming isn’t something to trivialise but I couldn’t think of a better way to describe it). You are seen as supporting one because of success, the other you support in spite of a lack of successes.

I don't remember a time not supporting Everton so I sometimes find it mad to meet so many dedicated American Evertonians. Most have never seen success and a lot weren't even supporters when we made top 4. Yet they turn up every weekend at 10 am and know all about the club. It sounds a bit culty but it's actually a really decent section of football fans who can't handle the fans of Liverpool or Chelsea. Fans who want to follow a club with history and without all the baggage that comes with band wagon fans. Villa have a similar kind of support here. They see Goodison or Villa park and think 'that's real football' and they'd be right.

To be honest i love the fact when people ask me who i support and i tell them Everton, the look and utter shock on their face because i am not a scouser is rather amusing. For that reason i love it, besides i could never change clubs, i am stuck with this misery and joy for life!

Nothing wrong with glory hunter, the only problem is we have no glory for them to hunt.
Utd with the international market behind their back spend 700m since sir Alex retire. This is the reality we are facing. Success brings support, any support of any sorts is positive for our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.