2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's had the best season of his career - is nearly 30. I like Gylfi, but I think we've seen his peak there this season. My concern with him is that we appear to set the team up to cater for him, not sure that's the best course of action in all honesty, but he's a good player who has been pretty creative too and has been let down by some woeful finishing at times (I'm looking at you, Theo). My main gripe with him is that he's too often on the periphery of the game, not sure that will ever change. Still, can't deny he's had a good season.

He's had the best season of his career - is nearly 30. I like Gylfi, but I think we've seen his peak there this season. My concern with him is that we appear to set the team up to cater for him, not sure that's the best course of action in all honesty, but he's a good player who has been pretty creative too and has been let down by some woeful finishing at times (I'm looking at you, Theo). My main gripe with him is that he's too often on the periphery of the game, not sure that will ever change. Still, can't deny he's had a good season.

Gylfi's the type of player though with this technical qualities and work ethic that will make him still a valued player as he ages. i'm not saying he'll be able to play at the level he's shown the past few seasons but his skill with the ball gives him an advantage over other players as they get older. I expect at least one more quality season from him. Just imagine if we had him a couple of seasons ago while we still had Lukaku.

I still don't think he's the reason we haven't played 4-3-3 as often. I see him having no problems playing deeper. He's smart without the ball, can pick off passes, can throw the occasional tackle, etc. Think the issue has always been the lack of central and defensive midfielders. Silva likes to play either with a 6 or twin CM/DMs. I don't see why Sigurdsson wouldn't do well in either of those formations in front of those players.

Definitely not his best season. He created 64% of Swansea's goals in 2016/17 with 9 goals, 13 assists & 7 hockey assists.

He also did it despite not scoring one goal in open play with his right foot. He could've finished with 15 goals & assists each that season.

It's a terrible shame that when players hit 30 they detonate. You'd think we'd have managed a workaround now but no: 30 years old, explode in a cloud of viscera. Terrible business but what can you do?

I have zero concern regarding Sigurdsson's age. He will age like fine wine, and I've said that since he was in his early 20's.

Players that decline rapidly after 29-31 are usually much smaller & faster players. Sigurdsson's playstyle is based around his both footed technical ability, not his pace or strength.

Bergkamp, Laudrup & Zidane for an example were all playing at their peak around 35-37. Gylfi relies even less on his pace than those players, and could comfortably play into his 40's.

I expect Sigurdsson to improve with each year, even into his 30's. As long as the team continues to improve his stats will as well.

Scored or assisted 35% of our total Premier League goals this season. A fantastic return from a player who has finally shown his worth.

Pity he'll never be able to please some, but same again next season Siggy. One of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Sigurdsson has actually directly contributed to 27 of our 54 of our premier league goals this season (50%)

13 goals, 6 assists & 8 hockey assists. Not to mention his 75 key passes.

Definitely not his best season. He created 64% of Swansea's goals in 2016/17 with 9 goals, 13 assists & 7 hockey assists.

He also did it despite not scoring one goal in open play with his right foot. He could've finished with 15 goals & assists each that season.

I have zero concern regarding Sigurdsson's age. He will age like fine wine, and I've said that since he was in his early 20's.

Players that decline rapidly after 29-31 are usually much smaller & faster players. Sigurdsson's playstyle is based around his both footed technical ability, not his pace or strength.

Bergkamp, Laudrup & Zidane for an example were all playing at their peak around 35-37. Gylfi relies even less on his pace than those players, and could comfortably play into his 40's.

I expect Sigurdsson to improve with each year, even into his 30's. As long as the team continues to improve his stats will as well.

Sigurdsson has actually directly contributed to 27 of our 54 of our premier league goals this season (50%)

13 goals, 6 assists & 8 hockey assists. Not to mention his 75 key passes.

Guess who's back....back again

Status
Not open for further replies.