2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it, but he wasnt 2nd, what I did notice was that Gomes was 1.8 fouls per game, Gana was 1.6, I mean its hardly a massive difference.
With the exception of the fact that Gana leads the leage in tackles per game by a mile, is top 10 in interceptions per game. Don't be obtuse, man. Gana is absolutely the best defensive midfielder in the entire league. He's world class when the other team has the ball.

Gomes is also 5th worst in being dribbled past in the league. He's a poor defensive player. He averages more fouls than tackles. He almost never steps into a passing lane and intercepts a ball, which is a problem since he's a defensive mind. This shouldn't be up for debate. No one should have to go to the stats to confirm it, he gets played around constantly.

The narrative that Gomes is a playmaker is not a fact. It’s quite the opposite and that’s the point.

I also was around in the 80s and I bet you if Opta was doing the same thing then, all three of those players, ESPECIALLY Sheedy would’ve looked just as good statistically. Stats are not random, good players don’t look bad statistically. Playmakers actually make plays and those plays usually measurable. So stop this absurd idea that I wouldn’t like a good player because their numbers would be bad, because that’s literally impossible and a complete misinterpretation of how stats are used by sports teams. The only critique is whether or not the model makes sense. The model = what makes a good player and how it’s measure. Now if you want to argue that I value defensive contributions too much in a central midfielder, fine.

To apply that to Gomes, I believe he’s good in possession, can go by guys with the ball, spray long passes to help with our build up, etc. I can also see with my eyes how Gomes gets bypassed in midfield. It’s painfully obvious to me. I can see that he’s a step slow. I can see how he fouls as a result. The numbers simply validate what any educated eye should be seeing. Providing evidence to back that up isn’t some terrible sin against the beautiful game.

He came on today and the commentary team stated that Gomes had come on and ‘taken over the midfield’. He is exceptionally effective in the middle third and with a season in the premier league under his belt he could improve on his apparent weaknesses next season.

With the exception of the fact that Gana leads the leage in tackles per game by a mile, is top 10 in interceptions per game. Don't be obtuse, man. Gana is absolutely the best defensive midfielder in the entire league. He's world class when the other team has the ball.

Gomes is also 5th worst in being dribbled past in the league. He's a poor defensive player. He averages more fouls than tackles. He almost never steps into a passing lane and intercepts a ball, which is a problem since he's a defensive mind. This shouldn't be up for debate. No one should have to go to the stats to confirm it, he gets played around constantly.

If you cant see what he brings to the team then I cant help you mate.

Never once claimed hes world class, simply that I think hes a very good player that improves us.

If we dont get him, I have faith that Brands could find somebody as good.

But personally I would rather we signed him myself.

I mean.. you don’t get that sometimes it’s better to foul someone rather than attempt a tackle right?

Status
Not open for further replies.