2019/20 Bill Kenwright

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are a lot of Bill haters here. But he left the club in better state than he found it. They where very dark times, beforehand. Remember having to sell Dunc? Last day relegation near misses?
Wasn’t Bill on the board when we sold Dunc and we had those relegation near misses? (Genuine question btw)

One let a trophy winning manager walk away over a transfer fee, see us almost drop out the league twice and sell our main forward and captain behind his manager's back while the team was in the middle of a game

The other's worst crime was not being able to push stadium moves through on two occasions because of a lack of funding
We finished 17th in 03/04 and Bill thought it was a good idea to sell our best player in the summer.

The board themselves do is my understanding, I’m open to correction on that though.

I’m not sure even just bring s board member is an insignificant role to be honest, never mind chairman.

My point is I’m not saying Moshiri doesn’t run the show in the main, I would just happen to think Bill still has a big influence at the club, as his role as a board member and chairman suggest. He’s also still a pretty significant shareholder still, if not the majority one.

Anyhow I think it’s the wrong premise Kenwright Vs Moshiri, I believe they work very closely together and perhaps that’s closer to the truth then one is in and the other out wholly.

So to make that clear for you, Kenwright is there at Moshiri's say so.

Moshiri can change it whenever he likes.

Kenwright isn't calling the shots anymore - he hasn't been since Moshiri rocked up.

Appreciate Kenwright is like red to a bull to some, the guy can't give a few fivers out without being slated - but lets call a spade a spade. It's Moshiri's train set now. That's why Marco Silva is at Everton and not David Moyes.

Now, where's the Keith Harris/Jon Woods threads?!.... lol

Honestly.

I know they call us the bitters, but do we have to prove them right in every thread about Kenwright? He tried his best, which wasn't good enough, but he has individually tried harder than any one of us internet nerds and regardless of his success, the club is still alive and beginning to prosper again.

We really need to get over ourselves on this one.

Kenwright isn't calling the shots anymore - he hasn't been since Moshiri rocked up.

Appreciate Kenwright is like red to a bull to some, the guy can't give a few fivers out without being slated - but lets call a spade a spade. It's Moshiri's train set now. That's why Marco Silva is at Everton and not David Moyes.

Honestly.

Good post. I like posts that are simply factual and not based on hearsay, pub gossip, twisted tales and downright bloody mindedness. I'm honestly sick of hearing the same untruths and malicious inventions trotted out by people who seem to have nothing better to do and seem to get a twisted pleasure at dissing a chairman who never quite had enough money to pursue his dream to the full.I'm not going to repeat everything that has been said before in defence of BK,because quite frankly, the hardcore Kenwright haters will twist anything to suit their agenda. Even a gesture in buying supporters a drink at the game today is turned against him,and people seem to think that being a former actor and successful theatrical entrepreneur and film producer is in some way a negative. Some of you need to look around, see how this club is progessing on and off the field,due in part to our survival over the last thirty years in a difficult environment, and wake up and smell the coffee. The oft told story that 'we are a laughing stock' is complete and utter BS. Everton Football Club has an excellent reputation in the world of football, We go through hard times, like most clubs(United,anyone?) but as far as most people are concerned we are one of the best in many ways.

Honestly.

In truth you could be right theoretically, but i still think Bill has a power and influence at the club.

In theory Moshiri can do as he likes with the board because he is the majority shareholder and hasnt. His majority is a relatively new thing it hasnt been the case in the majority of time he has been at the club. But also in theory if Moshiri put himself on the board of the club, Bill could in theory sack him temporarily, it wouldn't change the fact he was majority shareholder though.

Given he has recently become the majority shareholder there has been the majority of his time here he was a minority shareholder so its a relatively new thing, so i think its safe to say Bill influence was still quite significant.

Regardless the point i was making, was that i disagreed that Kenwirght didnt have any power or influence at Everton anymore, i dont beleive that is the case, he has controlled a majority stake in the club up to quite recently, is chairman of the board and as a board member it could be argued he is more involved in the day to day running of the club then Moshiri. Now there may be local arrangements and Sasha, seems his proxy, but appointments to the board (certainly the make up of the board seem to have Bills finger prints all over it) are the boards and day to day running in the boards business.

So essentially Kenwirght does still wield a significant influence at the club in my opinion, like i say i dont think its one or the other i believe he and Moshiri, work together, it seems the majority shareholder and board work in tandem.

Last edited:

Honestly.
I think it’s naive to think Kenwright doesn’t have any influence, though. He basically admitted being key in the deal that brought Rooney back. A deal so bad that we had to contribute to his wages whilst he plays in America.

Also, it’s his past failures, of which there are many, that annoys me. With a record as bad as his, he shouldn’t have any role at this club, never mind as the chairman of the board.

It is a slant on Moshiri that he has kept him, and Jon Woods, around for three years of this new ‘ambtious’ era.

Last edited:
Think it’s naive to think Kenwright doesn’t have any influence, though. He basically admitted being key in the deal that brought Rooney back. A deal so bad that we had to contribute to his wages whilst he plays in America.

Also, it’s his past failures, of which there are many, that annoys me. With a record as bad as his, he shouldn’t have any role at this club, never mind as the chairman of the board.

It is a slant on Moshiri that he has kept him, and Jon Woods, around for three years of this new ‘ambtious’ era.

Agree here.

If he was chief executive or chairman of M&S he would have been sacked about 10 years ago.

We all thought Kenwright would be around for about a year... instead he’s still here now.

Which then makes you wonder why is Moshiri really here? Why was Moshiri the right man for Everton but QIA wasn’t?

Then you remember what you know about William Kenwright as an egotistical monster who shares his company with Philip Green and would regularly sing his praises, all while he was ripping people off.

All avenues point to the fact Moshiri was happy to keep Bill here and any other interested party wasn’t.

Remember this is the man who nearly sold us to some fella in a bedsit.

I know there are a lot of Bill haters here. But he left the club in better state than he found it. They where very dark times, beforehand. Remember having to sell Dunc? Last day relegation near misses?

He lumbered us with a corporate loanshark in Phillip Green..... who had no interest in anything other than using Everton as a means to generate cash.

He has made appalling decisions that have cost our club massively. If he never hired Moyes Everton would have been in league one..... moyes was a pair of armbands to kenwright concreteboots. Take away the concrete boots and you ain't gonna win a swimming race cos Moyes is designed to keep you afloat not win.

In truth you could be right theoretically, but i still think Bill has a power and influence at the club.

In theory Moshiri can do as he likes with the board because he is the majority shareholder and hasnt. His majority is a relatively new thing it hasnt been the case in the majority of time he has been at the club. But also in theory if Moshiri put himself on the board of the club, Bill could in theory sack him temporarily, it wouldn't change the fact he was majority shareholder though.

Given he has recently become the majority shareholder there has been the majority of his time here he was a minority shareholder so its a relatively new thing, so i think its safe to say Bill influence was still quite significant.

Regardless the point i was making, was that i disagreed that Kenwirght didnt have any power or influence at Everton anymore, i dont beleive that is the case, he has controlled a majority stake in the club up to quite recently, is chairman of the board and as a board member it could be argued he is more involved in the day to day running of the club then Moshiri. Now there may be local arrangements and Sasha, seems his proxy, but appointments to the board (certainly the make up of the board seem to have Bills finger prints all over it) are the boards and day to day running in the boards business.

So essentially Kenwirght does still wield a significant influence at the club in my opinion, like i say i dont think its one or the other i believe he and Moshiri, work together, it seems the majority shareholder and board work in tandem.
I think it’s naive to think Kenwright doesn’t have any influence, though. He basically admitted being key in the deal that brought Rooney back. A deal so bad that we had to contribute to his wages whilst he plays in America.

It's on Moshiri gents.

If Kenwright has any significant influence, the level of which is on Moshiri.

No matter how frustrated we are by Everton going backwards vs rivals in the past 3 years - we can't keep blaming Kenwright.

Don't think Moshiri had much choice about keeping Kenwright on, wasn't it part of the deal that Bill, Jon Woods kept their shares a certain amount of time. I believe JW's shares are now all sold, Bill's are due to be sold at a certain date. The sale I believe was agreed under those conditions.
Again conjecture on my part, Maybe it's the reason Everton weren't sold a lot earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.