2019/20 - Minimum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top half and perhaps a sniff of Europe if we can find some consistency.
Would probably need to have a proper striker in the squad for that as everyone around us seems to have at least 1 and a good backup

So having a trophy as a minimum requirement for next season is deemed silly?? Football is played over 90 minutes and the fact that you’ve stated we would lose 70% of those games heightens the mentality of this club.

The “elite” will always have better players so are we destined never to win a trophy then

I hope Watford have a better mindset going into the cup final or they may as well stay at home.

I didn't say silly, I said it is unrealistic. Once upon a time I would have agreed with you but the strength and depth these clubs have got is unbelievable compared to say the last time we won the cup.

City are hopefully going to do the domestic treble this year, that means to win anything we would have had to beat them. They don't go into finals thinking if they play half what they are capable of they'll win. Their fully motivated players against our fully motivated players are likely to win out most times, because man for man they are better. Of course there is always a slim chance a red card, a stroke of luck might tip it in our favour, but that is the truth.

The trouble is we are deemed too good for the top sides to take lightly so we have less chance to catch them off guard than say a Southampton or a Cardiff might.

Watford will go in to the final thinking if they play to their maximum and they get the rub of the green hopefully they can do something. But even they will say City start as favourites.

The mentality of this club should be we have a good team that on their day can compete with the best clubs in the country and that they should go into games with no fear. But to suggest it is going to be straightforward for us to brush aside City/RS/Spurs/Chelsea and Arsenal on our march to picking up a cup is like I say unrealistic. You can't say to them at the start of a season that the minimum requirement is a trophy. So what happens if they don't get it, do we sack the manager, and replace the players?

I didn't say silly, I said it is unrealistic. Once upon a time I would have agreed with you but the strength and depth these clubs have got is unbelievable compared to say the last time we won the cup.

City are hopefully going to do the domestic treble this year, that means to win anything we would have had to beat them. They don't go into finals thinking if they play half what they are capable of they'll win. Their fully motivated players against our fully motivated players are likely to win out most times, because man for man they are better. Of course there is always a slim chance a red card, a stroke of luck might tip it in our favour, but that is the truth.

The trouble is we are deemed too good for the top sides to take lightly so we have less chance to catch them off guard than say a Southampton or a Cardiff might.

Watford will go in to the final thinking if they play to their maximum and they get the rub of the green hopefully they can do something. But even they will say City start as favourites.

The mentality of this club should be we have a good team that on their day can compete with the best clubs in the country and that they should go into games with no fear. But to suggest it is going to be straightforward for us to brush aside City/RS/Spurs/Chelsea and Arsenal on our march to picking up a cup is like I say unrealistic. You can't say to them at the start of a season that the minimum requirement is a trophy. So what happens if they don't get it, do we sack the manager, and replace the players?

Not once did i say it has straight forward has brushing them aside. I side that should be our aim for next year and going forward, a trophy; that doesn't mean you sack the manager if its not achieved. Its a mentality thing, as in "we'll win something this year" rather "hopefully we turn up at Anfield"

A reasonable target is 7th or 8th. Unless there is a big cash injection even 6th is out of our reach. We are financial minnows by comparison with the big money 6.

8th to 10th and hopefully getting past the 3rd round of both cups for me.

Unless we face a championship side, then a 3rd round exit is good enough.

Hopefully we also win the odd game at home against Fulham.

Finishing in a European place or winning a cup is a really bad idea, with it being a European Championship off season.

Ok, Pep and Klopp have turned up, so whilst they are here it’s going to be difficult to say the least. And yes, we might currently be ‘financial minnows’, but I don’t remember Leicester spending zillions on the eve of their winning season. It’s about organisation, fitness and team spirit, with a bit of skill and snide thrown in. Just do it.

Ok, Pep and Klopp have turned up, so whilst they are here it’s going to be difficult to say the least. And yes, we might currently be ‘financial minnows’, but I don’t remember Leicester spending zillions on the eve of their winning season. It’s about organisation, fitness and team spirit, with a bit of skill and snide thrown in. Just do it.

Leicester happened to time their purple patch when Chelsea imploded, City decided to take every other year off, utd were crap and the RS were in transition. Spurs and Arsenal who should have won it bottled it.

Look at the league next season and the RS and City will still be knocking on for at least 90 points, Spurs will be up there again. You don't get that opportunity often and it is one of the reasons why I hate Martinez so much. If he had been able to improve us over his tenure the 72 points we got in his first year would have got us 2nd that year, if we beat Leicester twice that season they would have got 75 points. :rant:

A cup semi cannot be a valid minimum requirement. This year it is possible to say given our opponents we perhaps should have done that. Next year I doubt we will be as lucky and if we draw City away in the third round we can't really hold that against Silva and the players if we get knocked out.

Next year, I expect Everton; at minimum, to perform as if they are the 6th best club in England. I feel the above results would reflect that minimum expectation. If luck has it that we draw the 1st or 2nd best club in England early and as such do not progress far in the FA cup, I would be satisfied as a fan provided the other results are maintained.

Unpopular Personal Opinion:
As elated as I would be with a successful domestic cup win; I would sacrifice it for a top four finish if on offer. Champions league berth legitimizes the club and it’s intent in a way a cup win would not.

Lets get rid of this "Everton that", "we don't deserve nice things" "plucky old Everton" attitude which seems to have permeated through the whole club/fanbase. We need to attract players who hate losing (think Bally, Reid, Gray etc in past years) and can motivate the team to greater things. Players whose heads don't drop if we're a goal down, or sulk when things aren't going our way. Easier said than done I realise that but there have been glimpses of that attitude (albeit small ones) lately.
Winning a cup would be great, some more real consistency in levels of performance and at least aim for the highest position ...not saying we'll finish top 6, but if we don't try, what is the point?

The transfer window upcoming is vitally important ....perhaps more so than for a number of years. We will know more about our hopes once it shuts but it would be nice to think that Brands and Silva's plans are already in place...

Next year, I expect Everton; at minimum, to perform as if they are the 6th best club in England. I feel the above results would reflect that minimum expectation. If luck has it that we draw the 1st or 2nd best club in England early and as such do not progress far in the FA cup, I would be satisfied as a fan provided the other results are maintained.

Unpopular Personal Opinion:
As elated as I would be with a successful domestic cup win; I would sacrifice it for a top four finish if on offer. Champions league berth legitimizes the club and it’s intent in a way a cup win would not.

That’s modern day football. Failure wrapped in a warped success

The board appoints a manager to manage
They don’t tell him how to manage

I disagree, the board set expectations for the manager, if they say "we want top 6", that's his priority, not the cups. This is why the cups have been devalued over the years. It started with the top 4 fielding weaker teams, then the bottom 6 followed because they prioritise staying in the league, then most of the others have followed suit.

Leicester took advantage as the "Sky 6" were all in major transitions.

I'd be amazed if all of those top 6 clubs all went through the same situation again in my lifetime.

They won the title with 81 points that season which is the 3rd or 4th in PL history.
It was a abberration of a season but a very good story for the PL.

Look at some of the points the "sky 6" clubs got that season and how many points got a top 4 spot.

West Ham and Southampton were 5 and 6 points from a CL spot, what a weird season that was.

e74925775a01cb5a6cacd5e3e9a4b2eb.png

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.