Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was gonna say, you have to look at it all comparatively. People can say “let’s do an Ajax” or “let’s do a Benfica” but can you really translate what they do to the PL? Which team in the PL is successful doing that? We’re arguably the best for it and we’re average. I don’t think the model works in the PL.

So the question perhaps needs to be why, and how do we get closer to that?

Agree wholly, 18-24 age group really are in no mans land.

We don’t help as fans either, we all want to develop and bring our own young players through to the first team in theory, then want to bin them after 10 games, exhibit A, Tom Davies and Ade Lookman.

We need to learn as a fan base it’s a process not an event.

Yes I agree and hence the comment that sometimes we don't help. Also the treatment/views towards Calvert Lewin are astonishing. He has come on enormously this season yet people just look for the easiest thing to knock him for after most games. It's odd.

I think a full revamp of the academy would be needed
A whole raft of new coaches brought in and a policy set in stone that all coaches have to adhere to
A nursery arrangement with a likeminded club in Belgium /Holland to give young players experience would also be ideal

I would like to apply a test to our summer targets as follows.. " could you imagine this player ever being good enough to get in the Man City team ? "

I know we cannot afford the players they can afford and I know they have a great manager that improves and gets the best out of every player he manages just about and we can only dream/hope of an Everton team being that good in the future.
But, we need to be looking for good players that can keep improving and maybe some of them may even become great players. We need young athletic players with pace and good footballers as well.... not a lot to ask for.

I have seen players like Rondon and Mitrovic mentioned here and undoubtedly they can play in the Premiership and do a job for a team but they are not the kind of player that just may propel us to the upper echelons of the league and surely that is the target ?

I would like to apply a test to our summer targets as follows.. " could you imagine this player ever being good enough to get in the Man City team ? "

I know we cannot afford the players they can afford and I know they have a great manager that improves and gets the best out of every player he manages just about and we can only dream/hope of an Everton team being that good in the future.
But, we need to be looking for good players that can keep improving and maybe some of them may even become great players. We need young athletic players with pace and good footballers as well.... not a lot to ask for.

I have seen players like Rondon and Mitrovic mentioned here and undoubtedly they can play in the Premiership and do a job for a team but they are not the kind of player that just may propel us to the upper echelons of the league and surely that is the target ?

Wildly unrealistic on any level. They are potentially the best Premier League team ever.

The better test to apply would be "would this player get a game for Man Utd or Arsenal?" The weakest of the top 6, who we are trying to bridge the gap to.

If we brought in players who you could see playing for one of those clubs then we're doing well.

Wildly unrealistic on any level. They are potentially the best Premier League team ever.

The better test to apply would be "would this player get a game for Man Utd or Arsenal?" The weakest of the top 6, who we are trying to bridge the gap to.

If we brought in players who you could see playing for one of those clubs then we're doing well.
The post clearly highlights the level City are at compared to ourselves.
The point is about the type of player we need to look at recruiting, I think Marcel Brands has already touched on this subject without the Man City comparison.

The point I am making is that we should not be recruiting players who are probably as good already as they will be and are at a level that will not improve us hugely.

I do think Brands and the model he implemented at AZ and PSV albeit in an inferior league, should help us in the long term.

People still say we have money, and I have no doubt we will spend again, but in comparative terms we are nowhere near the top clubs in terms of fees paid and most particularly wages.

It isn't that we try to compete like for like anyway as we clearly cannot but the focus must be on loading the squad in the medium to long-term with players in their teens or early 20's.

I'm encouraged by the fact that Brands has already said that this will be the focus. It is not rocket science but our scouting really has to be top notch. It's really a buy cheaper and sell-on at (significant) profit model where the squad is constantly rejuvenated and done so more and more off the back of trading profits rather than cash injection.

The ultimate aim is to sign a player who can become a mainstay in the team for a decade or more, but I think we will have to get used to sacrificing one of our better players every so often in order to finance a younger replacement for a fraction of the fee we get for the player leaving. As long as the profit is ploughed back into the team and Brands/Silva make mostly the right calls on signings, I have no objection to this if it means we become more sustainable and competitive.

We may see Gueye sold in the summer along these principles, and could see Richarlison leaving the summer after this along the same lines.

We can't spend our way into the top six, we have to be disciplined but creative and it all starts with Brands and Silva. There are plenty of clubs who have done this but not really in the EPL although Spurs are UCL finalists with a modest outlay under Pochettino.

In terms of long term sustainabilty, I still think Atletico Madrid are the best example - we should take inspiration from them as they have had to cope with being in Real's shadow. They may never reach their heights, but they are competitive and win things occassionally with a new stadium and some world class talent. They have had an excellent model of knowing when to sell and knowing who to buy. I think there are many valid comparisons between the state we find ourselves in now, with the RS as neighbours, and Atletico when Simeone got hold of them. I must say I'm not overly familiar if they have a DOF/Sporting Director or not, but their model clearly succeeds for what it is.

I’m actually impress with Chelsea youth scouting network. How did they manage to find all these top quality youth players, under everyone noses. They must have sign the TOP 5 prospect for every position in UK.

They literally sign all the you youngsters . There is a 26 year old Chelsea player that’s never played for them that’s still going out o. Loan . Think he’s at shef United .

I’m actually impress with Chelsea youth scouting network. How did they manage to find all these top quality youth players, under everyone noses. They must have sign the TOP 5 prospect for every position in UK.
They sign everyone that looks ok, generally with illegal payments to their parents before they are legally allowed to sign for anyone, then they send the majority of them out on loan for a fee and to increase their value, before selling 80%-90% of them on at a profit without then even playing for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.