2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is he will be on buttons compared to the rest of the squad now for this extension, 6 games this season, can hardly justify big money

I agree with the Baines deal to be honest.

He will be happy to be second choice, is a naturally fit player, still has that quality on the ball and PL experience.

Antonee Robinson is our only other option and he's nowhere near ready, plus our money needs to be spent in more urgent positions than a backup LB

At 34 he has another season in him, always performs to a high level when on the field, very rarely lets the team down. As a back up to Digne I don't think you could ask for much more. he is loved within the team and club and deserves the additional year.

When you look at united they could do with loyal, hard working, respectable guys around the club like Baines, you lose to many leaders and things can turn ugly very quickly.

Makes sense to offer Baines another season when there's so many other areas for recruitment.

He's still a good player. A replacement left back can be on the to-do list for summer 2020 instead.

Jagielka should and probably will be released though. He has much less value.
@davek will have kittens if both Capt Jags and Bainsey get extensions (contract extensions I mean, not hair extensions). Capt Jags and Bainesy copped a fair bit of flak from Dave for their conspiratorial undermining of Bobby. And speaking of Bobby, after 3 years of having to deal with the all the plots Capt Jags and Baisnesy hatched against him, he became a bloke who could well do with some hair extensions!!...the poor bloke went bald!

254___thumbs-up-emoji.png

Baines would be ok as a back up if next season pans out like this and Digne stays fit, but if he doesn’t can you see Baines playing 10 games on the bounce? I’m not so certain.

it kinda makes sense from an economic point of view, i can see why brands has weighed up the options and decided to keep him for 1 more year

to get a young and decent backup left back who is as good as baines and is unlikely to complain or cause disruption if he doesn't play regularly in this market could cost upwards of 10 mil whereas if we reduced his wages to around 20k a week its just over 1 millions a year in wages so we save 9 million +

yes you can argue give the younger players a chance but to be fair the younger players have been rubbish whilst on loan, the likes of garbutt and robinson have barely made an impression, it makes sense to have someone with baines experience as a back up incase digne gets injured or suspended

783328-1.jpg

I think it's ok as long as the focus is for him to be making way for Gibson over the course of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.